Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool (A)

Duck Egg

32 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The ref was abysmal the dynamics changed when he wrongly gave a free kick for their first goal.. I do wonder if IE reputation is going before him.. in fact I’m sure it is. 

+1. That free kick he gave them came just minutes after CMG had been  physically assaulted outside their box and he waved play on.

Sheeran gets clattered from behind Ref says "What are you moaning about, I played advantage?" - how about a yellow card ya feckin clown? 

If you try and analyse that game sensibly you’ll tie yourself in knots. It says it all when pretty much our best player (Sheehan) was almost the worst player on the pitch - closely followed by our usually stronger right hand side.

I’m not usually one for blaming refs because they’re usually just as shit for both sides, but this cunt was 100% a beneficial factor for them. It wasn’t just the big decisions either, someone else has mentioned it but every little niggle from us was given as a free kick whereas they were allowed to play on, it just stopped any momentum.

Up until their goal I thought we’d started as well as any game this season. Obviously the goal but we had other chances as well, we looked to be carving them open. Then the big moment that swung it - a soft free kick but then something that we are just so shit at. FUCKING STAND ON IT, stand right next to the fucking ball and block any quick attempt to play it. We are so naive it’s unbelievable and it cost us, let them play it quickly, defence was half asleep and their lad pings one in the top corner because he slipped when he hit it. All so avoidable if you don’t make the stupid tackle (Sheehan) and then when the free kick is given you just have a bit of gamesmanship, like so many others in this league have.

Less said about the rest of the game the better. It’s like they woke up and we shrank. They nailed their game plan and didn’t give us any time or space with either wing back, coupled with us just being poor all over the park. Even so, there are 2 point blank chances in the first half that would see us go in level and reset at half time, how we missed both I’ll never know but it just felt like a day where everything would go against us.

Positives from a player perspective - CMG, starting to see just how good on the ball he is and Toal for me played well (albeit he was part of defence that conceded 4).

Other positives - no damage done from the table perspective (other than Barnsley closing in). In terms of expected points dropped today, I’d say Pompey have dropped 2, Derby 1 and us probably 1 if we were being realistic.

The Cambridge win means this game can be forgotten about if we win on Tuesday - we’d all have taken 6 points from those 3 away games. Just need to beat those twats on Tuesday now!

1 hour ago, burnden said:

no. 

to a point yes.

Is the ref the reason the players bottled it in a derby game again? 

What's the definition of bottling it?  We played our game, yes a couple of defensive errors, but bottling it is probably the performance at Barnsley in the play offs when we were never at the races, slightly disinterested.  Today the difference between losing and not losing IMO was the ref, not just the big decisions but the whole flow of the game, and despite him we could have scored a few.   Move on and hope we get a fair ref on Tuesday. 

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

What's the definition of bottling it?  We played our game, yes a couple of defensive errors, but bottling it is probably the performance at Barnsley in the play offs when we were never at the races, slightly disinterested.  Today the difference between losing and not losing IMO was the ref, not just the big decisions but the whole flow of the game, and despite him we could have scored a few.   Move on and hope we get a fair ref on Tuesday. 

Wow. Cheers Ian

• Members
7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Ok change bottle it to completely capitulate .  Ref didn't miss 3 sitters, ref didnt misstime passes and challanges etc. Wasn't the refs fault our keepers positioning was terrible.

Edited by burnden

We don’t help ourselves. Yes the Ref was an utter wankstain and gave them everything. You could see from early on the way it was going. What do we do “refs a wanker” after 15 minutes. I was a frustrated as anyone but do we think as constantly giving him shit and abuse he is suddenly going to switch. We do it all the time. I know every club is the same and we no different but it just baffles me. 

oh and the yoof who was leaving with 10 to go and totally abused Collins. “You not fit to wear the shirt” you are utter shit” yada yada yada if you see this have a fucking word with yourself. 

Shit day bring on Tuesday 

Quite simply we need a reboot. 
The (Mini) season starts on Tuesday.

Do the business over the next couple of months and we go up. Carry on in the same vein and we don’t. 

Time to show your ambition lads! No time for passengers/bad days at the office. Others ain’t going to keep dropping points. Next three games are massive. We could be 1st/2nd or 5th/6th after we play Barnsley. 

29 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

+1. That free kick he gave them came just minutes after CMG had been  physically assaulted outside their box and he waved play on.

Sheeran gets clattered from behind Ref says "What are you moaning about, I played advantage?" - how about a yellow card ya feckin clown? 

I'd forgotten about that lack of a yellow card.  That was as bad as the ridiculous red card, scandalous.  And the one where he gave a free kick against JDC for going up for a header, about a minute before the penalty.  Truly one of the worst refereeing displays I've ever seen.  

19 minutes ago, Army 11 said:

We don’t help ourselves. Yes the Ref was an utter wankstain and gave them everything. You could see from early on the way it was going. What do we do “refs a wanker” after 15 minutes. I was a frustrated as anyone but do we think as constantly giving him shit and abuse he is suddenly going to switch. We do it all the time. I know every club is the same and we no different but it just baffles me. 

oh and the yoof who was leaving with 10 to go and totally abused Collins. “You not fit to wear the shirt” you are utter shit” yada yada yada if you see this have a fucking word with yourself. 

Did that really happen? Fk me. Despair 

Today was as disappointing as it was predictable, but after we scored first I thought we could 'kill the curse'.

As shit as the ref was pretending that was the only factor is papering over the cracks.

Blackpool tbf had a real game plan which was to go all out attack and accept the risks at the  back , they did it well. Defensively we could not cope BUT we created enough to go in at half time ahead. 

Second half never got going , Evatt said we only looked in trouble in transition and set pieces, but there was a fucking lot of transition. The penalty seeing it back is a penalty but never a red by the rules. Their guy does well to get in front of Rico but it is 100% an attempt to play the ball.

So the pen comes from 'transition', the second goal we end up with Big Daddy as right back where the fuck are Gethin and JDC. Again 'transition'. If we can cope with 'transition' especially at pace it becomes very clear what we should expect Tuesday.

The day was just shit, got some chips shit, pint in pub was shit, having to walk round the houses when the ground was at end of the street was shit.

Just now, deeane Koontz said:

Wish modern defences put as much emphasis in actually defending as they do farting about with it.

Agreed. 

Time and a place for it

We aren't city or Liverpool

Teams like us shouldn't be entertaining it, imo

21 minutes ago, Army 11 said:

As we were leaving Morley was taking a corner and some lad laid into him with the same not fit to wear the shirt shit. Lad can not have been on pitch 5 minutes.

7 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Did that really happen? Fk me. Despair 

We have some proper whoppers that follow us. None of this “they’re at least 50% alright cause they support Bolton”, for some of them it’s just not true, absolutely braindead. It’s only when you do an away day sober that you really clock it.

Certainly not saying that I expect everyone to be on their best behaviour but some of the shit that you see just doesn’t make sense to a normal person - and I’m not just talking about the 14 year olds ballooning about.

27 minutes ago, burnden said:

Ok change bottle it to completely capitulate .  Ref didn't miss 3 sitters, ref didnt misstime passes and challanges etc. Wasn't the refs fault our keepers positioning was terrible.

TBH I can only recall 2 very close one's (JDB and CMG), they were both when the keeper was within 2 inches of them.  I'd have been disappointed if our keeper had conceded either, he just had to smother the ball/player.  No credit for the superb moves that created those chances?  They weren't gifted to them by defenders, JDB didn't just appear on the end of the move, he made a great run to beat his defender.  He did everything right - the keeper has a right to save it from 2 yards in the blink of an eye.  

You've concentrated on some missed passes, I saw loads of quality passes at pace from Jones, CMG, JDB, Dempsey, we ripped them open a few times.  Compare the 1st half today with either of Northampton, Cambridge, Cheltenham, Charlton - chalk and cheese.

Agreed on the keeper's mistakes - very poor.  I was sort of leaving him out of it as we can't do anything about the keeper situation, its not changing any time soon.  He needs to be told to stop those runs out his goal though, you'd think that would be basic for an experienced keeper.

11 minutes ago, Ani said:

Today was as disappointing as it was predictable, but after we scored first I thought we could 'kill the curse'.

As shit as the ref was pretending that was the only factor is papering over the cracks.

Blackpool tbf had a real game plan which was to go all out attack and accept the risks at the  back , they did it well. Defensively we could not cope BUT we created enough to go in at half time ahead. 

Second half never got going , Evatt said we only looked in trouble in transition and set pieces, but there was a fucking lot of transition. The penalty seeing it back is a penalty but never a red by the rules. Their guy does well to get in front of Rico but it is 100% an attempt to play the ball.

So the pen comes from 'transition', the second goal we end up with Big Daddy as right back where the fuck are Gethin and JDC. Again 'transition'. If we can cope with 'transition' especially at pace it becomes very clear what we should expect Tuesday.

The day was just shit, got some chips shit, pint in pub was shit, having to walk round the houses when the ground was at end of the street was shit.

Geth was at fault for the 2nd and for the 3rd. He got done on the half way line which led to them getting in, Coleman having his 3rd rush of blood of the day and Santos trying to save the day. Not Geth’s best game for us, that’s for sure!

Talking of shit. I’ve never had to dodge so much dog shit walking from the stadium back to the car. That walkway the first left out of the ground was covered in the stuff, and then even the pavements along the main roads had plenty on. Horrible place.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Ani said:

I noticed his transition comments too.

Perhaps we needed to pass it better?

Also sounded very much part of Blackpool's game plan, and we fell for it.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Geth was at fault for the 2nd and for the 3rd. He got done on the half way line which led to them getting in, Coleman having his 3rd rush of blood of the day and Santos trying to save the day. Not Geth’s best game for us, that’s for sure!

Talking of shit. I’ve never had to dodge so much dog shit walking from the stadium back to the car. That walkway the first left out of the ground was covered in the stuff, and then even the pavements along the main roads had plenty on. Horrible place.

Not called the effluent coast for nothing!

The few times I've been up there for a visit, I've always thought of the place as being full of dog shit, litter and wasps.

Can stay in Bolton for that.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thought Bod was caught in no man’s land for the 2nd, him and Dempsey got caught out which lead to the cross

1 minute ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

Thought Bod was caught in no man’s land for the 2nd, him and Dempsey got caught out which lead to the cross

You’re probably right mate, I just remember thinking at the time that Jones had fucked up which led to us being in the position where Bod was required to do his best impression of a right back.

I might be being harsh on him, but regardless he got ripped a new one today.