Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (A)

BeeversLeftPeg

I’m starting to believe. This could well be one where we owe something and give it out. Our record at oakwell in modern times is decent if you forget the semi. 

2-1 Bolton. 

Mogohma and Collins to start for this to work.

20 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

If by some weird stretch of the imagination we actually win this game then what would some people moan about ?   

Looking back over the final league 1 tables over the past about 8 seasons we realistically need about 23ish more pints from the 33 available.   Shirley we can do that ?  

I can see 20 points from our remaining 11 games - close but no cigar.

W6 D2 L3

89pts

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I can see 20 points from our remaining 11 games - close but no cigar.

W6 D2 L3

89pts

89 points and not automatic,  mental that 

Barring injuries be surprised if we do not start same team as Saturday, although what Dempsey has done not to be in the team escapes me. 

I will repeat what I said earlier given the importance of this game our tickets sales are really shit. 

39 minutes ago, Ani said:

Barring injuries be surprised if we do not start same team as Saturday, although what Dempsey has done not to be in the team escapes me. 

I will repeat what I said earlier given the importance of this game our tickets sales are really shit. 

Does it matter?

1 hour ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Must not lose rather than must win for me, a point takes us into second and after the two derbie defeats would give us a bit of belief going into Oxford and Exeter.

If we draw and then win every other game of the season, Barnsley can still finish ahead of us. 
plus they have an easier run in

we can’t let an opportunity to hurt our rival contenders pass us by.

Edited by Wanderlust

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, W.cramp said:

If by some weird stretch of the imagination we actually win this game then what would some people moan about ?   

Looking back over the final league 1 tables over the past about 8 seasons we realistically need about 23ish more pints from the 33 available.   Shirley we can do that ?  

So do all the other teams around us. All capable of getting them.

Fortunately it is in our hands.

3 hours ago, W.cramp said:

Our record against the top 6 over the last 3 seasons is very poor, with our run in, I'd say no

1 hour ago, Ani said:

I wondered yesterday if Dempsey was being held back for Tuesday

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

If we draw and then win every other game of the season, Barnsley can still finish ahead of us. 
plus they have an easier run in

we can’t let an opportunity to hurt our rival contenders pass us by.

If that happens then we both end up on 100 points, which could well mean we both get promoted, be surprised if both of us win our last 10, plenty of twist and turns to come.

4 hours ago, waffer cup 07 said:

I can't believe the fear of Barnsley and Derby on here. Anyone would think were chasing the pack and points behind. Were right up there,level on points with Derby, 3 in front of Barnsley. There'll be a lot of twists and turns yet, but we still have every chance of going up automatically.

Its not a fear of Barnsley and Derby, who look as average as any team we've seen promoted from this league in recent times, its just an acceptance that we don't have a track record of winning away at the better teams, not just the top teams but the top 9 or 10.  On that basis I'd take a point all day long at Barnsley, Derby & Stevenage and hope we win all the others to give us a fighting chance going into the last game at Peterboro (who may have nothing to play for).

13 hours ago, Arrested development said:

Be very surprised if williams starts. It'll be Iredale or Ashworth.

I'd hope for Iredale, but looking at his 19 starts this season, 15 have been at CB to cover for injuries.  He's had 4 games at LWB (Exeter, Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Orient home), 2 of those he was the only fit option.  We have 4 to choose from now and I'd be surprised if he was ahead of the other 3 but I've been wrong before!  (CMG starting games up front for one).

1 hour ago, onefinfrandsen said:

If that happens then we both end up on 100 points

As would Pompey if they lose to both us and Barnsley but win the rest so it would be a GD job and currently ours is the worst of the 3.

I agree it isn’t going to be straightforward, but beating your rivals in a proper 6 pointer at this stage is massive and we have that opportunity on Tuesday. And again against Derby and Pompey to come.

Time to back up the hype with a big game win..

2 hours ago, tomski said:

Does it matter?

Not in terms of being an attendance nonce.

I would say a fuller away end would help the players but the Wigan and Blackpool game it did not work. 

Just now, Ani said:

I would say a fuller away end would help the players but the Wigan and Blackpool game it did not work. 

I’ve no idea with us. Wigan and Blackpool put that to bed. 

Oddly if anything quality not quantity may be called for here.

20 minutes ago, Ani said:

We seem to have a squad for whom the weight of fan expectation and big followings weighs heavy at times. 

(Sorry, a bit Peter Drury that) 

Edited by ianofcleveleys

44 minutes ago, tomski said:

I’ve no idea with us. Wigan and Blackpool put that to bed. 

Oddly if anything quality not quantity may be called for here.

46 minutes ago, Ani said:

Best away atmospheres have been with smaller numbers in my view. 

Reading, Luton, Stockport & Shrewsbury spring to mind.

2 hours ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Best away atmospheres have been with smaller numbers in my view. 

Reading, Luton, Stockport & Shrewsbury spring to mind.

Port Vale wasn't bad.  It helps if you're winning (or drawing a game you expect to lose).  

As impressive as Barnsley have been taking a look at their recent run. They scored a lot of late goals and been outplayed during a lot of games but still solid as ever, and are a very tough team to beat as proven.

Even the game against us last month, apart from that horrendous chaotic 15 minutes in the 2nd half, we were massively in control.

There's no doubt in my mind that we are a better team than them.

But it's just a matter of what Wanderers team turns up, are we going to make sloppy mistakes, miss big chances, concede penalty/red card like we've done so much as of late? Lots of ifs there.

Either way, I'm ever so quietly optimistic about this game. 

We need a statement win, and need to pick up points from at least some of our tough away games to come. 

We can do this.

COYWM.

Edited by Lostock Whites

7 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

As impressive as Barnsley have been taking a look at their recent run. They scored a lot of late goals and been outplayed during a lot of games but still solid as ever, and are a very tough team to beat as proven.

Even the game against us last month, apart from that horrendous chaotic 15 minutes in the 2nd half, we were massively in control.

I agree with a lot of what you’ve written Lostock but we were never “in control” of that game. Sure we had a lot of unproductive possession but “in control “ of a game is when you are two or three goals ahead and the opposition can’t do anything about it.

2 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

I agree with a lot of what you’ve written Lostock but we were never “in control” of that game. Sure we had a lot of unproductive possession but “in control “ of a game is when you are two or three goals ahead and the opposition can’t do anything about it.

Were we not in control at Wigan then lusty though we weren’t two or three goals ahead?