Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby County (A)

L/H White

14 hours ago, tomski said:

Kinnel ell Dave. Fancy sitting at home for this one

Slightly better in that I saw the league cup win and an England win v Mexico, but other than that similar to Dave.

vale hadn’t lost at derby in over 30 years before Saturday - So you never know……

8 hours ago, marple whites said:

Slightly better in that I saw the league cup win and an England win v Mexico, but other than that similar to Dave.

vale hadn’t lost at derby in over 30 years before Saturday - So you never know……

Ok let’s get both of you a day out somewhere planned😂

Its a fair point. I’m actually believing for Barnsley due to our decent league record there. These things are there to be broken despite fairly recent games telling us otherwise.

Barnsley can stay as it is then let’s break the mould at Derby.

16 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Expectation is with them, we go 1 up and the place could turn toxic.

their fans seem to overreact very much like ours.

I’m not sure it’s fair to say our fans overreact. We should get promoted, that isn’t just wishful thinking from a biased fan base, it’s a statement that our own manager has made at various points throughout the season.

Every result that goes by that makes that look less and less achievable (and there have been many in the last 10 games) is going to get a negative reaction from the fans. You simply can’t be as punchy with your statements in the press, whip the fans up, set those expectations and then expect everyone to remain calm and see the bigger picture when it appears that it’s all falling down around us at the critical time.

I do agree that Derby fans will be having similar reactions though to us. They clearly think they should be promoted and I don’t think it needs their manager to heighten those expectations.

Like you say, get an early goal and you never know, but it’s now coming down to hope and blind optimism in these type of games (due to our record under Evatt in them) rather than any genuine belief.

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m not sure it’s fair to say our fans overreact. We should get promoted, that isn’t just wishful thinking from a biased fan base, it’s a statement that our own manager has made at various points throughout the season.

Away from home our support has been incredibly patient and supportive, and I dare say Derby are much the same. But if we’d been at home yesterday then I think it would have been very unpleasant and I expect Derby will have similar issues at home when things aren’t going their way. 

• The topic was pinned

We need two good halves of football, which I don’t think we’ve seen for a while. 

Also need to stop conceding soft goals. It would help massively if Coleman could learn the basics of his position, namely when/when not to come off his line.

29 minutes ago, onefinfrandsen said:

However we line up we need to be switched on against the pace of mendes laing down their right side. Possibly iredale and one of Ashcroft/ Nat. Maybe Nat with his natural pace

Nat got torn apart yesterday 

2 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Nat got torn apart yesterday 

I guess the plan wasn’t to have both him and Ashworth on the bench until Morley didn’t travel, but it was such an odd substitution. Ashworth is streets ahead IMO. 

3 hours ago, onefinfrandsen said:

However we line up we need to be switched on against the pace of mendes laing down their right side. Possibly iredale and one of Ashcroft/ Nat. Maybe Nat with his natural pace

I’d like a natural defender to play on the left to counter lang, perhaps double up on him, something you don’t see much these days but we need to nullify him as he’s the major danger.

42 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d like a natural defender to play on the left to counter lang, perhaps double up on him, something you don’t see much these days but we need to nullify him as he’s the major danger.

Ashcroft probably our only left back, toal can play anywhere across the back and would be confident of him looking after laing.