Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (H)

Ani

1 minute ago, Lostock Whites said:

Everyone will have different opinions, personally I felt barely any confidence going into the play offs last season.

This year I feel highly confident that we can get the job done.

We just played the runaway leaders of the league and battered them all over the pitch. We battered Oxford and Reading recently at home who are both solid.

Id fancy us to grind out a draw away and get the job done home in the 2nd leg.

The crowds and support has been building over the past few years, however I think recently we've really shown our potential.

Unbelievable atmosphere today, I was a bit gutted we didn't win and possibly lost our chance of automatic promotion. But I can't help but just feel immensely proud of how far we've come as a club.

Here here

• Members
2 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Everyone will have different opinions, personally I felt barely any confidence going into the play offs last season.

We just played the runaway leaders of the league and battered them all over the pitch. We battered Oxford and Reading recently at home who are both solid.

The crowds and support has been building over the past few years, however I think recently we've really shown our potential.

Unbelievable atmosphere today, I was a bit gutted we didn't win and possibly lost our chance of automatic promotion. But I can't help but just feel immensely proud of how far we've come as a club.

Yep

2 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Great post

3 minutes ago, superkev said:

We are by far the most entertaining footballing side in the league. Should’ve won but we didn’t. I too am proud that we stuck to our footballing principles and dominated the champions

There's a danger of becoming purists. Wouldn't you rather win playing a bit ugly? - not that I think we could under Evatt especially 

Edited by jmjhb

38 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

I think having more options available to you increases the chances of you changing games and influencing results, especially in attack.

But no he is shit so we would have lost more 

You are right, We started at Stevenage with Jerome up front. Evatt has always said he expects to change his Centre Forwards at some point in a game as they work so hard, not having an option on the bench even if only to rest others has to weaken you. Also Collins struggled when he first arrived so again another body takes the pressure off. 

It is a squad game and losing a player who plays on a regular weakens you. 

Not going back over all the posts but that game was lost (i.e. not won) early doors and we simply started poorly. Santos especially in the first 10 to 15 minutes was poor.  So we're 1-0 down and after that Santos is back to his best and as sums up our season we didn't convert our chances. We also didn't create enough so I don't blame Bod at all.  

The season defining moments weren't today but for example Carlisle at home and the Wigan and Derby games where if you don't score you don't concede soft goals and at least  come away with a point. 

Who you blame for the above I'll leave to others to debate but for me it's poor coaching.

23 minutes ago, Walkden White said:

Not going back over all the posts but that game was lost (i.e. not won) early doors and we simply started poorly. Santos especially in the first 10 to 15 minutes was poor.  So we're 1-0 down and after that Santos is back to his best and as sums up our season we didn't convert our chances. We also didn't create enough so I don't blame Bod at all.  

The season defining moments weren't today but for example Carlisle at home and the Wigan and Derby games where if you don't score you don't concede soft goals and at least  come away with a point. 

Who you blame for the above I'll leave to others to debate but for me it's poor coaching.

Realistically, how much do you expect us to create against top of the league. We had one or two where we should’ve scored. I would say we did create enough but didn’t take them

Myself too feels confident about getting the job done via the play offs it’s a horrible route but there’s no team I’m worried about playing 

I do have a feeling Derby might drop points at Cambridge so not all lost yet, but it really shouldn’t be coming down to relying on others to get a result 

Edited by radcliffe white

7 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Thought Maghoma was dreadful personally. Lad is either 4/10 or 8/10. Sadly nearer to the former today.

Anniversary tomorrow @Biggish Dave but I paid her off with dark fruits and Bents chicken wings. 

This has blown my mind, how two people (and I’m pretty sure you’re not one with pre-conceived views) can watch the same thing and come to such a different opinion.

Honestly I thought he was a joy to watch yesterday. He was dying to get on the ball and when he did he generally made something happen - he was absolutely everywhere on the pitch because he just wanted them to give it him, confidence was sky high and he won’t get the assist for the goal, but it was all his good work in the first place to get the ball to Ogbeta.

I was sat there thinking, there’s no chance we keep him for next season unless we go up, he’s playing Championship football next season.

But then you watched the same thing and thought he wasn’t just bang average, but dreadful! Mental!

Don’t take that as any kind of dig by the way, like I say, I know you’re not just trying to back up pre-conceived views, just found it interesting more than anything.

9 hours ago, onefinfrandsen said:

The one after that , looked like he shinned it over the bar from close range

Think it was actually a couple of minutes before if it’s the one I’m thinking of - looked a harder chance than the header to be fair and if he had have volleyed it in then it would have classed as an amazing finish from your centre back. The header however, unless my perception of how easy a header it was was completely skewed then it goes down as almost as bad a miss as Bod’s second half effort.

It shouldn’t detract from how good he was though for the last 60 minutes. Hopefully the injury isn’t too bad because Santos of the second half would increase our chances in the play offs by a considerable amount. So many times he was left one on one with their forwards and he made it look easy - we don’t have another defender at the club that can do that.

I thought we was really good yesterday. If we fail to go up automatically it wasnt due to yesterdays result. Play off looks highly likely now, but much more confident than last season. We have nothing to fear.

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)

The atmosphere yesterday.

Even though it was full price ticketing, I think the attendance, the noise and the backing the team got was as good as it’s been in many years at home.

Its was electric in there yesterday and the team responded. The blokes near us who normally moan and whine for 90 minutes - even they got caught up in it and the joy on their faces was wonderful.

don’t think I saw anyone leaving until the final whistle and quite honestly there’s nowhere I’d rather be on a damp Saturday afternoon than surrounded by 22,000 fellow wanderers in that mood.

It’s what it’s all about.

I fucking love football, me, I do.

Edited by Spider

42 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Think it was actually a couple of minutes before if it’s the one I’m thinking of - looked a harder chance than the header to be fair and if he had have volleyed it in then it would have classed as an amazing finish from your centre back. The header however, unless my perception of how easy a header it was was completely skewed then it goes down as almost as bad a miss as Bod’s second half effort.

It shouldn’t detract from how good he was though for the last 60 minutes. Hopefully the injury isn’t too bad because Santos of the second half would increase our chances in the play offs by a considerable amount. So many times he was left one on one with their forwards and he made it look easy - we don’t have another defender at the club that can do that.

So many bodies in there , he has a split second to react and we’ve seen our forwards miss chances like that so just unlucky really. Looked like he had a point to prove maybe with what happened at fratton park. He was a warrior yesterday though.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, woolli said:

I thought we was really good yesterday. If we fail to go up automatically it wasnt due to yesterdays result. Play off looks highly likely now, but much more confident than last season. We have nothing to fear.

Aye, we're definitely better equipped this season 

Everyone knew we weren't good enough last season compared to the 3 that went up 

But season we're very much in the top 3 

Just so long as Blackpool don't sneak in

1 minute ago, Zico said:

If Oxford beat Lincoln Tuesday be near enough impossible 

That game yesterday summed up our season and why we aren't top 2, when we absolutely should be. 3 main reasons:

Formation - the 532 gives good "control" of a game, but a well executed 433 is so much more effective. You end up with wingers having the chances when a mistake happens (as per Kamara from Pompey) rather than wing backs, so you make the most of opportunities. Everyone can see how many good opportunities we're wasting despite playing well.

Tactics - the obsession with playing around at the back all the time is killing us. Teams just press hard and we will inevitably make a mistake. Their goal today came from a throw in for us on the half way line. 1 miscontrol by Ogbeta and their winger is going through 1 on 1 with Toal. Ridiculous. Just throw the ball forward - basic stuff you teach kids. And the other issue playing all the football in our half is all the fouls end up being yellows for us and just free kicks for them. Play the football in the opposition half and those yellow card stats change the other way round

Mentality - not a dig at us yesterday, but Pompey showed us what a winning mentality should look like. We had them properly under the cosh and they didn't wilt at any point. We would have shat ourselves in the same position getting dominated away from home, as seen all season. Needs a few more leaders in the team.

For me they're the 3 things stopping us being top 2. Very frustrating as the squad is the best in the league, and on our day we're the best team in the league.

3 minutes ago, Zico said:

Hoping oxfords game in hand will be enough to keep Blackpool out of the playoffs 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

This 

• Members
2 minutes ago, Stig said:

That game yesterday summed up our season and why we aren't top 2, when we absolutely should be. 3 main reasons:

Formation - the 532 gives good "control" of a game, but a well executed 433 is so much more effective. You end up with wingers having the chances when a mistake happens (as per Kamara from Pompey) rather than wing backs, so you make the most of opportunities. Everyone can see how many good opportunities we're wasting despite playing well.

Tactics - the obsession with playing around at the back all the time is killing us. Teams just press hard and we will inevitably make a mistake. Their goal today came from a throw in for us on the half way line. 1 miscontrol by Ogbeta and their winger is going through 1 on 1 with Toal. Ridiculous. Just throw the ball forward - basic stuff you teach kids. And the other issue playing all the football in our half is all the fouls end up being yellows for us and just free kicks for them. Play the football in the opposition half and those yellow card stats change the other way round

Mentality - not a dig at us yesterday, but Pompey showed us what a winning mentality should look like. We had them properly under the cosh and they didn't wilt at any point. We would have shat ourselves in the same position getting dominated away from home, as seen all season. Needs a few more leaders in the team.

For me they're the 3 things stopping us being top 2. Very frustrating as the squad is the best in the league, and on our day we're the best team in the league.

I disagree we'd be better of hitting it long

Getting it forward quicker, yes, but not going long

2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I disagree we'd be better of hitting it long

Getting it forward quicker, yes, but not going long

Nowhere have I said hit it long. I agree with you, long ball would be a waste of time, but we should play forwards quicker to get the play into the opposition half

• Members
2 minutes ago, Stig said:

Nowhere have I said hit it long. I agree with you, long ball would be a waste of time, but we should play forwards quicker to get the play into the opposition half

Fair enough

But it's how I interpreted "just throw the ball forward"