Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Port Vale (H)

Not being funny here but is there any logic in replacing Collins with Jerome? All it signifies to me is that Evatt has given up any hopes of challenging for the automatics. I know Derby are winning but if Vale feel they’ve lost we could sneak another couple in before the final whistle. It would still put pressure on Derby next week and we have put 5 past Posh at home before. 

Paris gets himself into some great shooting positions but it seems he's always aiming for the top bins and invariably curls it over. Frustrating as we can see the shot that's on. and if he can sort that out he'd get plenty of goals.

4 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Not being funny here but is there any logic in replacing Collins with Jerome? All it signifies to me is that Evatt has given up any hopes of challenging for the automatics. I know Derby are winning but if Vale feel they’ve lost we could sneak another couple in before the final whistle. It would still put pressure on Derby next week and we have put 5 past Posh at home before. 

Well slap my thighs I should have kept Schtumm! 😁

13 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Lol.

2 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Q: if on the final day we are level on points and GD with Derby, does it go to goals scored? (i.e. we'd only need a 4 goal swing?)

Correct. If Derby lose by a single goal, we need to win by 3 as we’ve scored more.

If we’d put a couple of those sitters away today, any win would have done if Derby lose (albeit I don’t see that happening).

Obvs there's still a chance next week but if it's not meant to be then I'd prefer an early Derby goal, so we don't go all out to try and win by a few, because we should save that kind of performance for a possible playoff final rematch, though something tells me Peterborough won't win twice at Wembley in a season.

even finishing 4th v an out of form Barnsley may better than an in form like Lincoln or Blackpool.

we will be faves but we miss too many chances and are inconsistent this 2024 so it's not a given in any game really.

Edited by Didledee

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

There is NO chance of Derby losing next week. Playoffs it is

Well, there is, however unlikely.

If we can get ahead early, and they don't, then as time goes by, they could get defensive as a point would do for them.

That could be their undoing. 

I wouldn’t be putting any money on it though. :)

Not a bad performance considering 

Result was never really in doubt as I thought we could step up a couple of gears if needed

Hope we can sign Magoma even though it wasn't his best game he just has that certain something you can not teach

58 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Paris gets himself into some great shooting positions but it seems he's always aiming for the top bins and invariably curls it over. Frustrating as we can see the shot that's on. and if he can sort that out he'd get plenty of goals.

That in the first half where he swivelled, beat their man then hit it miles over and wide with his left foot was Paris in a nutshell. Like you say if he adds that finishing touch consistently he'd be sumert else. One of those midfielders you can imagine having a wonder season where everything clicks and he scores 10-15 and gets us big money.

5 minutes ago, tshape said:

That in the first half where he swivelled, beat their man then hit it miles over and wide with his left foot was Paris in a nutshell. Like you say if he adds that finishing touch consistently he'd be sumert else. One of those midfielders you can imagine having a wonder season where everything clicks and he scores 10-15 and gets us big money.

It’s moments like that which give us a chance of keeping him next season.

Also if anyone can shed any light on wtf happened when Collins hit the post and seemingly missed an open goal with the rebound then it would be much appreciated. 

I really like that Collins will have a shot, which seems a bizarre thing to say about a striker!

Like why some others rate Maghoma, he's the one striker that will make something happen, even if not playing well. 

Good professional performance all round today, but one gripe - defending corners on the first half was shambolic. Exactly the same routine as Tuesday was allowed. All the people around me in the stands were calling out to mark the guy on the edge of the box before the first corner and in disbelief when the same play was used and a free shot was allowed.

Against Port Vale we can get away with it, but come the play offs, those kind of things could be the difference