Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

Said on the first Wanderers match thread that when I first went Normid wasn't built but I can barely remember it.  Did it always sink down into the corner like that?  And the Manny Road looks smaller?

Yeah - always sunk down that far. The bit under the "Videovision" sign (the police control box and where the PA announcer sat) was all Manny Road terrace until the mid 80s when it was closed never to be re-opened. So the Manny Road and Embankment met there - and sometimes collided. Like against Newcastle in 1982.

Yeah - always sunk down that far. The bit under the "Videovision" sign (the police control box and where the PA announcer sat) was all Manny Road terrace until the mid 80s when it was closed never to be re-opened. So the Manny Road and Embankment met there - and sometimes collided. Like against Newcastle in 1982.

I ‘m sure at one time it was possible to walk between the embankment and Manny road terrace.

Manny Road was only about 10 or so 3" steps from top to bottom.

I meant smaller length wise - we used to stand there quite a bit but seem to remember it going pretty much up the corner flag?  Strange how ones memory gets fuzzy.

Always a good laugh in that part of the ground

I ‘m sure at one time it was possible to walk between the embankment and Manny road terrace.

There was a narrow passageway with a gate ( between the turnstiles & the toilets ) between the 2, but I don't know if it was ever completely open to move from the Embankment to Manny Rd North..........definitely not after the mid 70's.

There was a narrow passageway with a gate ( between the turnstiles & the toilets ) between the 2, but I don't know if it was ever completely open to move from the Embankment to Manny Rd North..........definitely not after the mid 70's.

From memory if you came through one of the turnstyles at MRN you could either turn left for Embankment or right for Paddock, but dont think you could transfer between the 2

A couple more - both of the pitch invasion at the end of the Northern Final of the Sherpa Van at Bloomfield in 89.

Posted as much as anything because the Blackpool will hate to be reminded of our lot of all over their pitch.

Christ.....I’m on that first one, near the end wth Steve Thompson......Bros haircut and white Marc O’Polo sweatshirt..I look a right cunt.:D

Right, this is different to other stuff I've posted this last week. I've a fair amount I want to get on YouTube but nothing will better this - possibly not even come close, and this is a goalless draw! 

April 29, 1978. Bolton 0 Fulham 0. Frank's famous goal at Ewood has secured promotion and we got the point that clinched the Div 2 title to send us back to the top flight for the first time in 14 years with silverware.

Those of you who recall those days will recall there'd been two near misses. This was an amazing day. The whole of the Embankment devoted to home fans in a gate of 34,110, the Lever End without seats for the final ever occasion. Frank Worthington, Alan Gowling, Peter Reid, Big Sam and the rest. Champagne corks popping left right and centre, certainly in the last block of the Manny Road North where we were.

Enjoy this one everyone! When it comes to April 29,2018 in a few weeks it'll be 40 years on and we can all watch it again.

Right, this is different to other stuff I've posted this last week. I've a fair amount I want to get on YouTube but nothing will better this - possibly not even come close, and this is a goalless draw! 

April 29, 1978. Bolton 0 Fulham 0. Frank's famous goal at Ewood has secured promotion and we got the point that clinched the Div 2 title to send us back to the top flight for the first time in 14 years with silverware.

Those of you who recall those days will recall there'd been two near misses. This was an amazing day. The whole of the Embankment devoted to home fans in a gate of 34,110, the Lever End without seats for the final ever occasion. Frank Worthington, Alan Gowling, Peter Reid, Big Sam and the rest. Champagne corks popping left right and centre, certainly in the last block of the Manny Road North where we were.

Enjoy this one everyone! When it comes to April 29,2018 in a few weeks it'll be 40 years on and we can all watch it again.

Brilliant that - and a proper lap of honour - no strolling around with a bunch of kids and flat dicks in tow

Trying to get his shorts off were we?

Certainly was P. I would have given him a nosh too for getting us to Wembley.

Anyone notice Thompson saying “here you are,watch out”....that’s when we all bailed over to their end...:D

Re the 86 3-1 win at Wigan...that match was actually all ticket but hundreds of us still got in their end....Dave Hinson actually mentioned it on that video..

The one at Burnden in the northern final.....at the end of the match when there’s a pitch invasion... Dave says to his mate “is it switched on Charlie ?”....before letting rip with a loud “we’re on the march with Phil Neal’s Army”.....priceless videos...:D

Edited by miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

superb that, great memories, had more chances than I thought.

Ian Greaves looked like a proper hard fucker, bet he didn't get much lip.

Ace!  Thanks for posting - never seen Reid, Allardyce etc playing in a white shirt before.  Ground looks so much better like that.

Fantastic memories watching that. I was 15 at the time and was in my usual place on the Lever End for the last time until I moved to the Burnden Terrace.