Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Funeral Directors

magic legs

One of those things where skys the limit depending what u want. Bromleys on tmr do a no frills basic budget package I believe for a grand. One near the pineapple on blackburn road is very professional as is the one near queens park on chorley new road but I guess cost more. Haslams and Shaws are the names iirc and my families used them both and will do again when the next sad day comes. Hope it goes as well as it can.

• Site Supporter

We used the Co-Op one near the Pineapple last year - very pleased with the service and was about £1200 from memory.

That's the one. Was even given the option of no embalming. We were asked if there was going to be a viewing. Each to their own but I personally can't think of any good reasons to have the deceased on show, I'd rather remember my dad for being my dad rather than a body in a box.

I'd also recommend the one opposite Queens Park, I'd also go with MickyD comment - it's an unnecessary expense is embalming, if there's no viewing...

Sorry to hijack the thread, but anyone with kids should really make a thorough will - regardless of their age or state of health. It's a nightmare, on top of the anguish of bereavement, when someone dies intestate for those left behind...

Making clear what kind of funeral you'd want also means the indecision in the relatives can't be preyed upon by the more unscrupulous funeral directors.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

Never had a problem with Co-op on Crompton Way.

did you see the documentary on the co-op funeral service a few months ago...shocking.

the reason you have to book a viewing is that bodies are stored in "hubs" on industrial estates across the country and transported to each funeral home and back again.

the marketing up sell for coffins, cars ,flowers etc.

it must be on you tube some where.

i used to work for the co-op many years ago , but would not touch this service with a barge pole.

That's the one. Was even given the option of no embalming. We were asked if there was going to be a viewing. Each to their own but I personally can't think of any good reasons to have the deceased on show, I'd rather remember my dad for being my dad rather than a body in a box.

I found seeing my old man one last time was very beneficial. It was nice seeing him at peace rather than with tubes in him etc. I can see why people wouldn't fancy it though.

I found seeing my old man one last time was very beneficial. It was nice seeing him at peace rather than with tubes in him etc. I can see why people wouldn't fancy it though.

This

I watched my mum go and within minutes wasn't a pretty sight, before the lid went on she looked beautiful and at peace

I think my experience was very different as I was with my dad at home when he went and so we could stay with him.  When I saw him a week later in the coffin it just didn't look like him. You're right, I think it's the circumstances you last saw them in may determine your view.

From what I've seen they're all the same, nice cars and professional attitude. It's the ministers/Fathers/Reverands who make the funeral special, make sure you get someone who is more interested in talking about the person and not the bible or poems, make sure they've got plenty of funny stories to tell about the person too.

• Site Supporter

there is money to be made in that funeral game, choosing my gramps coffin, i didnt want the cheapest one so got the next one up was about 900 quid more because the handles were better quality, only recently have i thought about it, we burnt the fucker, what was i thinking!

we used Cowburns in Howfen, did a good job from what I can gather and handled us with a great deal of sensitivity, yes its what they do but they made it personal, that sounds really weird I know but cant describe it any better, we didnt feel like just another job.

there is money to be made in that funeral game, choosing my gramps coffin, i didnt want the cheapest one so got the next one up was about 900 quid more because the handles were better quality, only recently have i thought about it, we burnt the fucker, what was i thinking!

The cynic in me says they don't burn the coffins, they resell them.

When I was a pall bearer at my uncle's funeral we were told not to lift the coffin by the handles as they were there for decoration only.

For what you pay surely that's not right.