Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

'foreigners' Playing For England

DazBob

to put another twist on the thread. put yourself in the place of others. if you were born in another country but to english parents,would you consider yourself english or the country of your birth ?

personally i think the rules are all bollocks,you should only play for the country of your birth. Scotland and Ireland would be well and knackered...sorry more knackered

• Moderators

Either.

Stuart's dad was English, surely he should play for us then?

not a question of "should"

up to him, born and bred jock to a jock mum, but his formative years spent in USA

thems his options

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2009/09/23/1519545/holden-playing-for-the-us-a-no-brainer

so for me, he's american like farah and muamba are english

Isn't there a five year schooling rule for the home nations at the moment? That seems about right. With that you've got some culture and vested interest in the country. A child refugee can still represent the country that offered them a new life. Some bloke who comes here for work you might as well give it up and start signing players for your country. I'm presuming if he's turned down Belgium he's got zero intentions of playing for England though so can't see it being an issue with him.

Not that it matters now, but would you have considered Muamba to be English then?

Absolutly not.

He's not English,it's as simle as that.

If he wore the white shirt of England as permutations of the rules allowed him to do so then I would have supported him all day long.

It's the rules that are fucked not the lads picked.

This Munich bloke playing for England is a joke. He's not English in anyway however you dress it up, the fact its a debate is pretty sad off the back of one game.

Other nations do it. Spain are nationalizing Diego Costa from Brazil, all a bit sad and another reason for interest to wain in international football.

I would personally be disappointed if we started Nationalizing people to play for England.

Edited by tomski

Anyone shouting about some kid playing for England because he scored for utd wants deporting in my book. Didn't the same happen when that italian macheda scored a hat trick. Twats

Remember him scoring on his debut for man utd then a couple of goals for Doncaster

Can't remember any clamour for England though

With club football dominated by big money, I still hold the hope that international football represents something a bit more pure and old fashioned. A hope that the players are competing for national pride rather than chasing money. Might be a bit naive of me maybe. Was it UAE or Qatar who started paying Brazillians to move over there for a certain amount of time in order to gain citizenship and play for their national sides? If so, how sad. If eligibility rules aren't made more strict, that could perhaps become a common thing. Internationals would then become more like club football.

If you're born in a country or spent a certain amount of your childhood there, then you should be eligible to play for that side. A 15 year old for three years? No way. I suppose then you have to judge where to draw the line. I'd say 10 years old.

you know what Bernard Manning used to say about dogs being born in stables

Not sure quoting Bernard Manning is going to help any argument and he was para phrasing the Duke of Wellington who was born in Ireland but did not consider himself Irish.

I think we are too honest about this. France deliberately went out to scout African talent and made them French even the mighty Germans don't mind putting Polish & Turkish players in their team.Our cricket team have 'foreigners' and people seem to accept it. Plus it is not as simple as where you are born. Terry Butcher was born in Singapore but he's as English as me and you, like when English people are stationed abroad and children are born overseas, still English surely? In modern game if someone has lived in this country for a decent period and especially if they've been to school here, benefited from our training facilities and want to play for England then why not? I think it's great that the likes of Mo Farah & Fabrice Muamba wanted to represent this country and were able to do so.

IMO

If this kid @ DMB's was brought over here purely for footballing reasons, then IMO he shouldn't be allowed

However, the likes of Muamba and Farrah were schooled here and were like any old "immigrant"

Folk moan about people "coming over here and not taking up our culture", well if they do, why should they not be allowed to play for us? It's probably the same folk that complain that Asian immigrants support India/Pakistan in the cricket....