Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Space Dudes

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

I find it mind blowing theres probably gaffs out there just getting started, a few million years behind us.

Could be or , even more mind blowing is that the image is how things were 4 and half billion years ago so could be well advanced of us by now. 

the fact the galaxies n the foreground bends the gravitational field of space so it can see objects behind it too makes my head fall off trying to figure it out 

fascinating

• Members

Listened to Brian Cox this morning. Mind boggling when he tells us that everything in just one photo which contains thousands if not millions of galaxies is like observing a grain of sand on the end of your finger held at arms length in comparison to the entire size of the cosmos.

Also, the light spots we can see from the bright ones left their source 4.6 billion years ago and the more blurred and distorted one 13 billion years ago. In both cases before the Earth was even formed.

As others have said, a mindfuck trying to get your head around it. How insignificant are we as individuals or even as a planet?

Always makes me wonder how Creationists view all this? I suppose if they are daft enough to swallow the imaginative musings of a 9 year old girl in Portugal then it would be a simple step to believe that their particular imaginary saviour created everything.

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Comparison - Hubble on the right. So the faint bendy splodge it recorded can be seen in massive detail, it's image lensed from colossally further away by the dark matter in between, just as Einstein suggested it would. 

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=54269.0;

Absolutely astonishing. Not just the image, but the fact they have been able to pinpoint the direction of the telescope to take an image of the exact same piece of space. If that makes sense.

1 hour ago, fatolive said:

Could be or , even more mind blowing is that the image is how things were 4 and half billion years ago so could be well advanced of us by now. 

the fact the galaxies n the foreground bends the gravitational field of space so it can see objects behind it too makes my head fall off trying to figure it out 

fascinating

Theres probably planets that have had folk on em and burnt out since. 

Im not ready not ready for this today :D

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I think that’s more likely. 
the fermy paradox I think it’s called , that civilisations evolve and cease to exist before technology available to meet or observe each other 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

aye, the last remnants of the most advanced civilisation ever to exist ever could be dying out as we speak on a drained planet or one that relied on a star that just supernovad all over them

or something

thoughts like this always makes me think of this tune

• Site Supporter
Just now, Zico said:

aye, the last remnants of the most advanced civilisation ever to exist ever could be dying out as we speak on a drained planet or one that relied on a star that just supernovad all over them

or something

thoughts like this always makes me think of this tune

I fucking hate that song

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Spider said:

Just a pint of guiness settling

Maybe that's what our Universe is, and there are people in an even bigger Universe looking at an even bigger pint of Guinness settling, and the people in that Universe are looking at.. you get the point. The word 'Universe' doesn't quite fit into this theory, but I can't be arsed thinking today.

Edited by Cheese

There's loads of room for "God" in the scientific interpretation of things but they just have to do things a lot quicker than 7 days and after their initial input they have fuck all to do with it afterwards.

Excludes almost every religious interpretation man has ever come up with.

• Site Supporter

Space Station (ISS) passing overhead this evening (Friday) at 23:54.
Visible for 6 mins and 37 seconds at an elevation of 59 degrees travelling WSW to E.
It's very bright (Mag -4.5) so should be really  easy to spot, if the sky stays clear.

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Space Station (ISS) passing overhead this evening (Friday) at 23:54.
Visible for 6 mins and 37 seconds at an elevation of 59 degrees travelling WSW to E.
It's very bright (Mag -4.5) so should be really  easy to spot, if the sky stays clear.

Think it does an orbit every 90 minutes, approx.

58 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Each pass is a different part of the planet, I think.

image.jpeg.9ffb9ae0c4fc5701a1482664663d5957.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Not over the same places.

Aye, of course, I didn't mention that bit.

Not watched it for a few years, forgot how fast it moves.