Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Millwall 1 Bolton 1

victor meldrew

My first trip to Millwall was before segregation & was probably the most scared I've been at a match, expecting to get twatted at any second. If anyone here was in the seats that day, it looked quite nasty for you, but at least you saved those of us on the terraces :) ,& then it was just as bad outside trying to get back to the tube.

Unfortunately , from going the last 2 seasons, all the safety measures have taken it to the other extreme, & it's a bit dull now.....like Fulham but without the scenic riverside walk !!

Iam(probably)out.

My first trip to Millwall was before segregation & was probably the most scared I've been at a match, expecting to get twatted at any second. If anyone here was in the seats that day, it looked quite nasty for you, but at least you saved those of us on the terraces :) ,& then it was just as bad outside trying to get back to the tube.

Unfortunately , from going the last 2 seasons, all the safety measures have taken it to the other extreme, & it's a bit dull now.....like Fulham but without the scenic riverside walk !!

Iam(probably)out.

M.. Not sure if this is the same trip that Martin told me about when he got smacked by a programme seller for asking where was the best place in the ground for away fans to congregate?! Also told me that in a group of three, first one paid at the turnstile and went in, second took some time to sort his change out, and by they time they'd both gone through, the first had already taken a kicking and was on the deck! Nice place....

M.. Not sure if this is the same trip that Martin told me about when he got smacked by a programme seller for asking where was the best place in the ground for away fans to congregate?! Also told me that in a group of three, first one paid at the turnstile and went in, second took some time to sort his change out, and by they time they'd both gone through, the first had already taken a kicking and was on the deck! Nice place....

Yes, that sounds right !! Just getting into the old Millwall ground set the tone for the whole experience. All the turnstiles for the terracing brought you into the ground at the bottom of the steps at the back of the Millwall "end", & Millwall fans stood at the top of the steps scanning the incoming crowd & picking out  "visitors".

One very well known Bolton fan tells the story of how he was queuing up to get into the ground pre-match, & 2 Bolton fans came hurdling  over the turnstile to get back out of the ground. Not a friendly place, & almost impossible to merge into the crowd ( & that's before someone asked you the time  :o  )

Iam(probably)out.

I dunno, the FA Cup game had it's moments (mainly due to me being thick). Running for the train at London Bridge, heard the doors beep and just jumped on the first carriage we reached. This was, of course, packed to the gills with Millwall with the next carriage (separated by coppers) full of Bolton winding them up. Oh, and I had colours on... thankfully I had my jacket zipped up but we spent the entire journey in total silence lest our accents let on our true allegiance

edit: On that note, apparently it's rail replacement buses between London Bridge and South Bermondsey that day so not sure how they plan on segregating it as (if i remember rightly) that caged path to the away end runs direct from the station platform

Edited by Pie Eater