Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

These Ere Proposed Changes To School Hours..

gonzo

Kids having school from possibly 9am-6pm

And kids starting school at 2/3 years old.

I know it's not as cut and dry as the bold statements published in the news above.

But why fuck about with the current regime?

I wouldn't want my kid,no later how old,returning home from school at 6pm at night,in any circumstance.

And I certainly wouldn't want my lad going to school now.

There's enough help out there for nursery fees.

• Site Supporter

Agree entirely Gonzo.

No way would I send mine for that long.

Not sure why but the way they're taught seems inadequate- loads of homework, no time for sport activities, yet increasing issues over primary school leavers' ability to read and write.

Managed it no problem when we were at school- played plenty of football and other sports, only homework was reading a book and practising times tables, leaving plenty of time for us to be kids.

Kids do 180 days a year in school and let's say for arguments sake they're there for 6.5 hours per day ie 1170 hours a year.

By adding 2.5hrs per day to the current schedule, 1170 hours is only 130 days ie 26 school weeks. 

The idle fucksponges known as teachers will now want another 10 weeks holiday and for that reason iamout.

Agree entirely Gonzo.

No way would I send mine for that long.

Not sure why but the way they're taught seems inadequate- loads of homework, no time for sport activities, yet increasing issues over primary school leavers' ability to read and write.

Managed it no problem when we were at school- played plenty of football and other sports, only homework was reading a book and practising times tables, leaving plenty of time for us to be kids.

This with big boinging bells on...

The amount of homework is astounding,I remember primary school as being reading , writing, times tables and loads of fun.....

My lads home work this week is about differentiating between ,languages ie:- poems written in different countries...I'd prefer he was learning something useful.....

I like the homework my son gets.

They get a topic, every couple of weeks. They have to research and ask parents, and write a few pages about the subject.

Its interesting, he is currently on the 60's, and asked me "what was it like back then Dad, when you was a kid ?"...

Cheeky sod!!

• Site Supporter

Must. . .not. ....bite. ...

Spent an half hour discussing this today already.

They want to reduce holidays too.

Nobody wants to become s teacher for money/working hours/13 weeks holiday. Anyone that does is the reason why half of nqt's quit within 5 years.

My lads nursery is £962 a month. Started this week.

If he goes to some sort of free school early I might get an holiday in the next 4 years!

Kin ell mate.

Take it your lad is in 5 days a week?

£50ish per day??

That's ridiculous

• Site Supporter

Right, on laptop now..

Basically the idea hasn't come from anyone in Government, and any hint towards it has been avoided.

Firstly.

Imagine how much budgets schools get for 6.5 hours, extend this to 8/9 hours, by the law of averages your looking at 1/3 extra funding from Government, so on a budget of 50bn the government would need to add an extra 15bn. Where this will come from in these "frugal times".

How many people are employed in childcare? Childcare industry is worth an estimated 5bn, a massive portion is out of school childcare etc.

People are saying it would help get people into work, but would you want your 6 year old in school that long? Daughter is nearly 4 and struggles for a full day. The answer is for secondary school age, but how many teenagers need looking after 3.30-5 ?

Kin ell mate.

Take it your lad is in 5 days a week?

£50ish per day??

That's ridiculous

Aye. That's the discounted rate for him being in 5 days. It's 52.75 otherwise.

If the Mrs was on minimum wage there would be no point her working. She's not massively above it either.

Aye. That's the discounted rate for him being in 5 days. It's 52.75 otherwise.

If the Mrs was on minimum wage there would be no point her working. She's not massively above it either.

Why the fuck is it that much?!

Ours is £33 and he's in there 2 days.

My mrs works mostly nights so it works,but if she worked days we would be in the same boat as you.

It's basically forcing young mums not to work.

This school thing would only work for parents prepared to send their kids for 5 days.

It's a load of bollocks IMO that like swanster says will never happen

It's basically forcing young mums not to work.

My mrs stopped working when we had our second, nursery fees meant she was working for something like £40 a month. Struggled like fuck for the first couple of years but seeing my kids grow up with their mum was worth it.

We're in a better position now where she doesn't have to work but when I see the figures people quote for childcare it turns my stomach. How the fuck you can justify £50 a day for chucking a kid in a room full of other kids is beyond me.

Wife was a nursery nurse when I met her, she loved the job but got treated like shit and paid fuck all. Regularly having more kids in her room than was allowed (and this was in a well established well thought of nursery), seemed to be the norm in other places too so where their costing comes from I don't know.

They've got you over a barrel and fucking know it, twatspatulas.