Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Favourite Personal Sporting Achievement

globaldiver

Once scored a goal for England. Well a made up England team. In Pretoria there were that many immigrants from all over the world that before the seson started a mini world cup tournament was held with the respective immigrants playing for their country. I bagged against scotland which made it more sweeter. Mark Fish always got the golden boot for South Africa. Scored the winning penalty too in a shoot oit in a final after I mis kicked the fucker, luckily the keeper went the other way as it trickled into the opposite corner. Said I meant it afterwards

Winning a Thai boxing match in Thailand.  Never thought i'd even get in't ring.

Fair play Fellman . . . i'm only in my 30's and just the thought of going back to that training makes me ache all over

That's quality pal

I went watching it in Koh Samui a couple of months ago and the token Brit got battered

Great atmosphere!

• Moderators

Scored an amazing solo effort for the wanderersways XI 2001. I ran like Forest Gump from the left back position to the edge of the box the miss hit a screamer to the keepers right

I remember that because I think I started at lb but got hauled off as couldn't run for shit after being on the piss the night before

I resented it didn't even clap the goal, cunt

1. Scoring 3 goals in  a Bolton area semi final 5 a side comp in the first 5 mins at the brand new sportshall in LL secondary school in 1980. My third included taking the ball off em after they kicked off after our second goal and just slamming it in to the top corner from our own half. One week later i ripped my anterior cruciate in the final, but it went undiagnosed until 2000, so I never played football (without limping off after 5 mins) again.

2. In 1979 scoring the two goals in the top of the league clash decider in the Bolton Sunday League. That was  between my LL team, Jolly Carter, and the Jolly Sailor  from top of Chorley old rd/ moss bank way. We won 2-1 and went on to win the league a couple of games later.

3. Completing the Great North Run last September  in 1 hr 57 mins at 53 years old after getting my weight down from 21 st 10lb to 14st from 19/12/12 to 1/5/13. Most determined thing i have done in me life,  so much so i am now on a 5 year educational retraining journey in order to be a dietician. Going from zero exercise for years, to running 20 to 30 miles a week was exhilarating.

Edited by bgoefc

I remember that because I think I started at lb but got hauled off as couldn't run for shit after being on the piss the night before

I resented it didn't even clap the goal, cunt

Very bitter! Haha

How I made it home that day ill never know.

One minute on Bradshawgate next minute in bed in Blackpool on Sunday morning with nothing in between. Happy times

Won a giant teddy & a giant panda on the donkey derby at Blackpool. I found it was best to take your time & make every ball count in the top score hole rather than going into a frenzy chucking balls everywhere.....I also found out that the stall holder could sabotage your donkey/camel if you stayed too long on a winning run.

Scored both goals in Sunday 5 a side league in a championship decider.

Then went in goal for two mins when keeper got sin binned. Supa john styleee.

MOM in every game played for wways including the game against the jocks when I fouled myself. (Not in a shiiting my pants stylee)

Apart from athletics it has to be scoring the winning try for Bowdon 3rd XV away against Buxton 3rd XV.

Our star was a 44 year-old scrum half (once in his prime as a fly half selected for Lancashire when Risman [bev, not Gus] was injured, only for the match in Durham to be snowed off).

We had dominated the game, but conceded 2 first-half tries, both of which were converted, before replying with 2 unconverted ones. It was the last minute and our scrum half knew I was full of running. He collected the ball from a scrum on the left, but, realising there was zero chance of four secure passes acros the field to me, he hoisted a towering kick which I couldn't quite reach. It bounced up into my hands at my top speed leaving me to run 30 yards and avoid the goalposts in order to score.

I never understood why it wasn't on 'Rugby Special' (my only ever appearance on the programme being running across the Heywood road pitch after a Sale v Gloucester match).

My other favourite was qualifying for the Cross Country squad at school. I didn't enjoy Cross Country.

There was a mandatory run at the start of each year. The first 30 were in the squad.

I had never got anywhere near, then tried hard and finished 24th.

The best bit was that the swimming and Cross Country matches were on the same night, so I never had to compete. Tough shit to an unpleasnt sports master.

Enjoyed completing the Great North swim with Smiley a few years ago.

Once scored the only goal in a cup semi final on Queens park as a 15yr old. All of my family came to watch & after I'd smacked it in off my shin the whole team dived on me & I still see people now who remind me that our captain just kept shouting "you've fucking done it Hazzy, you've fucking done it" - Best footie memory ever!