Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Favourite Personal Sporting Achievement

globaldiver

Scored an amazing solo effort for the wanderersways XI 2001. I ran like Forest Gump from the left back position to the edge of the box the miss hit a screamer to the keepers right.

Caused an all out brawl in the excelsior snooker club in south shore playing for the squirrel 'B' team after telling a ginger bloke to shut his mouth the ginger cunt. A scene out of the Wild West ensued and we were subsequently thrown out of the league.

• Site Supporter

Win the pop and crisp league cricket league with Daisy in 2008

Div 1 winners with the Gardeners Arms in the Rochdale Sunday League

Inter league wins with the BDCA playing on Southport and Blackpool as a teenager,

League title with Westhoughton Rangers

Best ever was wheni got my maiden 50 int first team for daisy as a 17 year old, my gramps was there and I pointed the bat at him.

Won young player of the year at cricket back to back in the 90's too

Now I'm just shit :D

Edit: couple of wins I'm the westhoughton and Atherton pool league too!

Edited by superjohnmcginlay

Decided to run the rivi pike race in 2005. Me and another bloke must have done about 8 practice runs before the actual event and he murdered me every time.

On race day, coming towards the bottom of the hill I saw he was only about 10 metres ahead of me. At that point I was determined to beat the cunt. Caught up with him on the final straight and a sprint finish ensued. Loads of friends and family at the finishing line cheering us on. Beat him when it mattered and remind him regularly till this day!

Works team in London used to play in the Chelsea and District Darts League, and they had a west london wide KO competition that included players from county teams. 501, one leg.  I got drawn against some fucker who'd just won some national amateur event at Pontins or summat, and in the warm up he threw 3 bulls in 3 darts. I beat the fucker.

I think that was the night I spewed up all over the front of Viscount Lindley's furniture shop on the King's Road. I bet he still hates me.

As manager of the said football team was walking into The Hare & Hounds early on a Sunday and being asked "Who we playing today BB?"

Me: "Little Hulton away"

One of the lads: "Fucking hell, not them loonies"

Me: "Them lads are sat in their pub and have just been told they're playing against you lot, they're shitting it because it's them verses a Breightmet team on their turf, we are the only Breightmet team in the Sunday League and all of Breightmet are looking at your result in the BEN on Tuesday, we are Breightmet so go and get OUR points"

We won 2-1 :)

The annual inter-form 5-a-side at secondary school. It was pretty much dominated in years 1-4. Anyway the 5th year comp was the one everyone wanted to win. Out of 7 teams I don't think we were in the top 3 - we done shag all in the first 4 years.

Anyway we managed to win all our 6 games including a last minute penalty winner by myself. I scored 6 in a 7-6 thriller and finished as the tournaments highest scorer.

Never felt as proud as the day we all got called up in front if the rest if the school to collect our medals.

I was even hailed as the schools best player.

Alas the phrase that 'form is temporary and class is permanent' applies very much to me.... More the former than the latter.

Northern Schools Doubles tennis champion at the annual Ampleforth championships 1990ish

Part of Marple GC's Junior Derbyshire & Cheshire league winning golf team early 90's

Bobby Charlton Soccer School individual Penalty tournament champion (David Beckham won't he skills comp) from hundreds of kids. Late 80's or Early 90's again no doubt

Fair to say I peaked early. Thank you knees, booze and birds.

Nutmegged Michael Tonge (Leeds) in what was supposed to be us year 7's being thrown to the year 11 lions.

Scored from the halfway line with my left foot against Stretford Vics in the under 13's.

Captaining us to promotion the following season from Salford League Division Two and Allardyce presenting me with our trophy, still got the photo somewhere.

Sin binned for scrapping with Joel Tomkins (now with Saracens) in a schools RL match.

Missing a penalty at Craven Cottage at half time in front of 7,000. Leigh vs Fulham yoof game rather than mongkick.