Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Corners

Garrp

Last season's Premier League averaged 10.78 corners per game (this is why the bookies normally have the bet set at 11!)

There were on average 2.77 goals per game (hence the over/under 2.5 goals markets)

If 1 in 8 goals came from corners, then we could expect 0.34625 goals per game to come from the 10.78 corners.

A conversion rate of 3.2% or 1 goal per 2.89 games (260 mins and 31 corners)

If as I suspect 1 goal in 10 comes from corners, then we could expect 0.277 goals per game to come from the 10.78 corners.

A conversion rate of 2.57% or 1 goal per 3.61 games (325 mins and 39 corners)

Therefore, I'm inclined to agree that the importance of corners are overstated.

What are the stats for the Championship, where we currently reside & operate

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's how you interpret the numbersThe original argument made by Garp (if I'm not mistaken) was that corners are as good as worthless... 13.31% of your goals isn't worthless, surely.

this is what you're not getting. I'm not the one interpreting the numbers wrong, you are.

I can show you stats for all attempted shots from in your own half and they will look like good numbers and worthwhile.

That doesn't mean you keep on shooting from your own half because 5% of all shots form your own half are goals. They are worthless

and no, my original point as i keep saying is that taking a short corner when the right time isn't the wrong thing to do because the man in the pub remembers sam allardyce scoring a header from 30 yards 30 years ago.

Last season's Premier League averaged 10.78 corners per game (this is why the bookies normally have the bet set at 11!)

There were on average 2.77 goals per game (hence the over/under 2.5 goals markets)

If 1 in 8 goals came from corners, then we could expect 0.34625 goals per game to come from the 10.78 corners.

A conversion rate of 3.2% or 1 goal per 2.89 games (260 mins and 31 corners)

If as I suspect 1 goal in 10 comes from corners, then we could expect 0.277 goals per game to come from the 10.78 corners.

A conversion rate of 2.57% or 1 goal per 3.61 games (325 mins and 39 corners)

Therefore, I'm inclined to agree that the importance of corners are overstated.

Have you taken into account in the 'clapping optimum' though? The 'I Feel Good' factor? Dismiss these at your peril my good man.

this is what you're not getting. I'm not the one interpreting the numbers wrong, you are.

I can show you stats for all attempted shots from in your own half and they will look like good numbers and worthwhile.

That doesn't mean you keep on shooting from your own half because 5% of all shots form your own half are goals. They are worthless

and no, my original point as i keep saying is that taking a short corner when the right time isn't the wrong thing to do because the man in the pub remembers sam allardyce scoring a header from 30 yards 30 years ago.

I'm actually suggesting they can be interpreted either way. I think it's a lot.

13% of all goals scored don't come from shots in your own half.

But it does mean we've scored plenty since allardyce played for us. Hundreds, even.

I'm actually suggesting they can be interpreted either way. I think it's a lot.

13% of all goals scored don't come from shots in your own half.

But it does mean we've scored plenty since allardyce played for us. Hundreds, even.

I'm not sure, but I'm certain that this season alone Mills has had 2 or 3 from corners.

Set pieces like corners can turn the game around when you're struggling to create chances and when your attacking players are having a bad game.

I'd not write them off as worthless, for that reason alone.

You can't look at pure numbers and stats - that's not how this game works.

Edited by SnoopJohnnyJohn

Maybe nobody can throw it that high

Why don't we throw it high into the box and get Matt Mills to hoist Chungy into the air to head it on?

Can we get Jay Jay back?

We managed to turn him into a great throw in person in the end

I'm not sure, but I'm certain that this season alone Mills has had 2 or 3 from corners.

Set pieces like corners can turn the game around when you're struggling to create chances and when your attacking players are having a bad game.

I'd not write them off as worthless, for that reason alone.

You can't look at pure numbers and stats - that's not how this game works.

Mills has scored twice this season from headers in the box (Brum, Chelsea) and once in pre season (Port Vale).

The Chelsea one was a free kick but still shows it's worth us putting the ball in the box.

Edited by Arrested development

Serious question if Garrp can oblige. How many goals are scored when a keeper comes up for a corner, the defending team clears and then score before the keeper gets back to his net?

Can't be that many considering how often keepers come up.

• 2 weeks later...