Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Corners

Garrp

My first moan at the fans, the moaning has already started.

If you do better than score 1 in 50 corners you are doing well

Basically, corners are worthless. Our mind is tricked into believing they are worth more than they are.

Im chuffed as fuck Lennong clearley knows this as every corners someone is sent over with the option to play the corner short. It was chungy intil mavies came on.

Can wr please get over this 'he has to put it into the mixer' its clearly a tactic my lennon that is the right thing to do, whatever you may think.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you what I would be interested in. The ratio of goals scored from corners being crossed into the box and the ones played short and passed around first. I reckon they wouldn't be a million miles apart.

Either way we need to do both and keep the opposition guessing imo.

Edited by tylswhite

I don't like short corners. What is the point of them? Unless you are good enough to work the ball from the corner to a central shooting position on the edge of the box or inside it what do you gain?

Take it short and then you end up crossing it anyway, usually from a worse angle and under pressure.

You put your men in the box, centre backs get up, then fanny around with it before either losing possession or just putting it in the box anyway. And we would score plenty more from corners and set pieces with the right delivery and movement. As Saturday showed. It is an area we must improve on because we look like we won't score many from open play.

Edited by bwfcfan5

• Moderators

My first moan at the fans, the moaning has already started.

If you do better than score 1 in 50 corners you are doing well

Basically, corners are worthless. Our mind is tricked into believing they are worth more than they are.

Im chuffed as fuck Lennong clearley knows this as every corners someone is sent over with the option to play the corner short. It was chungy intil mavies came on.

Can wr please get over this 'he has to put it into the mixer' its clearly a tactic my lennon that is the right thing to do, whatever you may think.

under Rioch, we scored from every other corner - Browny flicked it on to the far post where Walker / McGinlay would nod it in - it's no coincidence we did so well in that time when goals from corners were so frequent

Reading between the lines, Lennon doesn't seem happy about all the possession and dead-ball situations we had last night, and how little came from them. Presumably including the number of corners.

Like we know already, there's a lot in our play and players that needs substantial work. It won't happen overnight though.

under Rioch, we scored from every other corner - Browny flicked it on to the far post where Walker / McGinlay would nod it in - it's no coincidence we did so well in that time when goals from corners were so frequent

It was a great tactic that one.

One thing that baffles me is when goalies charge up the field late on when a goal is needed desperately to get on the end of corners. 

Why doesn't the goalie take the fucking corner, not like they have they suddenly turned into Van Basten.

Our goal resulted from a corner last night and their keeper was all over the place for the few that were well delivered, with the best chances from open play falling to beckford a set piece looked our most likely chance of a goal. Not sure why Chungy took over corners from Spearing after about 70 mins, they were all poor. I think we tried 2 short corners and both failed miserably.

I think if a corner is passed out level with the 18 yard line, if the player can whip in an in swinging cross from there it would be more difficult to defend than a corner. If everyone misses it it could also force a save from the keeper.

You's end up with them pushing your men offside; and/or out of the box

Our goal resulted from a corner last night and their keeper was all over the place for the few that were well delivered, with the best chances from open play falling to beckford a set piece looked our most likely chance of a goal. Not sure why Chungy took over corners from Spearing after about 70 mins, they were all poor. I think we tried 2 short corners and both failed miserably.

The goal came from second or third phase play. The corner is somewhat irrelevant. At the end of the day is was a cross that failed. The odds are stacked in the defending teams side when a cross comes in from that quadrant. The problem with this is that you can't just keep taking short corners.

Watched a program a bit back with the bloke who wrote the book The Numbers Game: Why Everything you know about Football Is Wrong. On average a team will score, directly for the cross of a corner, 4 times a year. Corners get the fans fist punching and screaming like girls, but it will almost result in nowt. Corners are just like Hail Mary's in American Football.

Watched a program a bit back with the bloke who wrote the book The Numbers Game: Why Everything you know about Football Is Wrong. On average a team will score, directly for the cross of a corner, 4 times a year. Corners get the fans fist punching and screaming like girls, but it will almost result in nowt. Corners are just like Hail Mary's in American Football.

best.football.book.ever.written

The goal came from second or third phase play. The corner is somewhat irrelevant. At the end of the day is was a cross that failed. The odds are stacked in the defending teams side when a cross comes in from that quadrant. The problem with this is that you can't just keep taking short corners.

Are those stats directly from a corner?

Like you said the goal was from a 2nd / 3rd phase; I'd like to know how much more likely goals are from that than from 2nd / 3rd phase from a goal kick

Corners are worth getting excited about in my opinion.

And if you only score 1 in 50 Imagine how much of a relative weapon they would be if you got that down to 1 in 15.....

I bet the odds from scoring ado text free kick aren't far off the same, but if you have a Beckham or Ronaldo for example the odds must tumble

Hence it being so valuable