Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter

That was the Ian Greaves era wasn't it? Late 70's?

We had some magnificent performances around that time. It all turned around for me when Jimmy Armfield was appointed in 1972 (?) and we seemed to be on the gradual up from there until we plummeted to the fourth division and the next big turnaround was winning the Sherpa Van trophy before the real glory years came around.

Christmas 76 if my memory is correct, 3-2 to us with a Whatmore brace.

• Members

only did darlington twice

both midweek, in the space of a week

by then it was 4 sides

Was on the way to Sunlun for a pre season game once with (amongst others) the son of a former BWFC club secretary who one or two of the Athy lads on here know. Great lad but had a bit of an obsession with enamelled football badges and needed a Darlington one for his collection.

Between four of us, we'd polished off a carton of cans of Guinness in his VW Beetle on the way up there so were all busting for a piss anyway so when he suggested stopping off at Feethams in case someone was around to assist him, for once we didn't complain as the bushes in their car park looked pretty inviting for an empty out.

Amazingly, everything was open and we couldn't find a single person anywhere in the place. We even ended up in the board room and looked at their limited trophy cabinet but could not find a soul. Could have walked off with anything but didn't. At that time it definitely doubled as a cricket ground.

Remember a blinding goal in that one by Peter Nicholson. Funnily enough, no trouble at all for me at that one but previous games there had their moments.

It was January 1978 - league game - remember it well. My Dad insisted on getting tickets in their new main stand as he'd never sat in a cantilever stand before and remember walking up a long ramp past the old cricket pitch and pavillion. Walking out there was a load of trouble round the back of the pavillion.

For 39 years I've been convinced that I saw my best ever BWFC goal that day - a cross from the left (in front of the main stand where we were sat) from Frank Worthington and Neil Whatmore volleying or half-volleying it in from about 20/30 yards out - was it really Peter Nicholson scoring that goal? 

Edited by MancWanderer

Definitely Nicko with the volley - was it our 5th??

It was the 4th or 5th goal - remember going mental and my Dad trying to calm me down as we were being sussed as Wanderers in their stand but I was 14 and didn't give a shit or understand why it was a problem 

Also remember Reidy scoring an early goal from close range? 

• Members

Sorry Bolty, in my previous post I mentioned it being a bit rough the Year before the 5-1 at Sheffield...3-2 on a crisp winter evening at Bramhall Lane.

'

It will be me Ronnie. Up early after a heavy night on the Monteith's Crushed apple nightrider. Probably a bit slower than my normal sloth like ways this morning pal!

• Members

Who you cheering for Bolty? Crows or Tigers?

Very much the Tigers mate. My daughter and her Aussie husband (by chance, just arrived in Bolton for 5 nights) are mad Tigers fans (him lifelong - her since marriage, no choice!). He is fucking gutted that arranged a holiday for when his team reached the GF for the first time in 30 odd years.

They were going to some Aussie Bar in Manc early this morning to watch it. No doubt he will be totally pissed after that extraordinary win. Backed them today at 2.20 but still gutted I didn't take the 17.00 on offer when they first qualified for the finals series.

Very much the Tigers mate. My daughter and her Aussie husband (by chance, just arrived in Bolton for 5 nights) are mad Tigers fans (him lifelong - her since marriage, no choice!). He is fucking gutted that arranged a holiday for when his team reached the GF for the first time in 30 odd years.

They were going to some Aussie Bar in Manc early this morning to watch it. No doubt he will be totally pissed after that extraordinary win. Backed them today at 2.20 but still gutted I didn't take the 17.00 on offer when they first qualified for the finals series.

Good stuff. Blew them away in the third quarter. So many sports teams this part of the world are contrived and false. Been to the rugby and its wank, mexican waves during the first half etc

I know it's not your favourite game but there's real history in AFL. Richmond been going since the 1880s. I don't have a team but I live on Richmond Rd atm, plus the story about them meant I was supporting Richmond too. It's a tough game played by hard fellas with great foot and hand skill.

Lots of grown men crying at the final whistle. Really enjoyed the game.