Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

3 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Damnit I switched over to the farmers league. I'm sure the clips will be shared by countless football banter accounts soon.

Speaking of farmers leagues... Ajax bottom of the league. Don't think I've ever seen that in my entire career as a human.

I bet their fans are buzzing at the prospect of all them new smaller grounds they might be visiting next season

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I miss the Man City of Maine Road.  Part of the rich tapestry of what made the league what it was, they had that niche of being the big club that could never quite win anything, and their fans were considered salt of the earth because of it, always striving to be important but never quite managing it.  Newcastle were similar, even that fun is being taken away now.  Only Everton are really left of the under achieving big clubs, but they'd need to be relegated to truly take over the City/Newcastle role of the 80s and 90s.

If I was a City fan I do think I'd struggle for motivation, do they start each season just worrying they might not win every trophy?

It's just a phase for city 

Like Liverpool in the 80s and Utd in the 90s 

Guadiola won't be there forever

Football works in cycles 

Newcastle having a great time of it at the moment on their way up, fans are loving it

They could be like city soon enough  

Enjoy it whilst it lasts

• Members
8 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Damnit I switched over to the farmers league. I'm sure the clips will be shared by countless football banter accounts soon.

Speaking of farmers leagues... Ajax bottom of the league. Don't think I've ever seen that in my entire career as a human.

Unbelievable what is happening there. There's some proper shite in that league at present such as Almere City. Volendam and Waalwijk. Hard to believe that Ajax are below them. Won't last but PSV and Feyenoord are currently light years ahead of them.

11 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It was calm but passionately delivered. Not simply about today's game but the failure of manager after manager, the cost of chopping & changing, the impact of new managers chucking existing players to one side & bringing in a pile of others. Cliques forming, well paid players sticking around. Not to mention the Football Office, all fearful for their jobs in an unstable atmosphere. 

Then re. Jim Radcliffe coming in, but with only 25% of the shares, saying he'll redirect the footballing side ... but his £1.25bn spend going straight into the Glazier's pockets. That the one magnificent ground is now old, out of date & clearly in need of development. Overshadowed by many new ones these days.

Oh, & Bruno  Fernando's may be a good player but has a terrible * negative effect & isn't a captain while he has a hole in his arse.

Oh, and oh again ... Anthony is a fecking disgrace & the sooner he's sorted out the better.

Plus ... they played shite.

Otherwise it was quite positive.

I've seen a few segments of it come up on twitter from Sky Sports, one of their favourite clickbait mines is the clips of post-United-loss-Neville/Carragher/Keane-autopsy that seems to happen every 3 or 4 weeks these days.

Back into this woe is me cycle with their fans of blaming everything on the ownership and talking like they're in the doldrums. But you're not allowed to compare them to fans of the likes of Reading, Southend, Bury, oh er us etc oh no. No-one has had it as bad as them since Sir Alex went. A European trophy, FA Cups, League Cups and regulars in CL is paltry.

Some of the fucking transfer fees they've paid out in the last few years, other clubs could only dream of.

12 hours ago, Marc505 said:

What was your previous career?

8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I bet their fans are buzzing at the prospect of all them new smaller grounds they might be visiting next season

I'm not sure if some of these tiny Dutch villages would be looking forward to hosting hordes of Ajax fans or dreading it!

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Unbelievable what is happening there. There's some proper shite in that league at present such as Almere City. Volendam and Waalwijk. Hard to believe that Ajax are below them. Won't last but PSV and Feyenoord are currently light years ahead of them.

I do think they'll stay up but listening to the Dutch football bloke explaining how and why this has all come about on Trans Euro last night did show that its not some freak accident (okay maybe rock bottom is but they do have 2 games in hand) but it sounds like they've totally ripped the whole foundation of the club up

• Members
2 hours ago, Marc505 said:

I'm not sure if some of these tiny Dutch villages would be looking forward to hosting hordes of Ajax fans or dreading it!

I do think they'll stay up but listening to the Dutch football bloke explaining how and why this has all come about on Trans Euro last night did show that its not some freak accident (okay maybe rock bottom is but they do have 2 games in hand) but it sounds like they've totally ripped the whole foundation of the club up

Been weird since Eric Ten Months left. Edwin van der Sar going. Their much vaunted academy sounds like it's in pieces and now atrocious league form.

Only a matter of time until they are back near the top mind. A fish that big in such a small pool will always get to the top (or near it) eventually. On a personal note, always had a bit of a soft spot for Feyenoord so seeing Ajax struggling isn't too unpleasant. Feyenoord and PSV to fight it out, daylight third. Twente's home record over the last year or so has been impressive.

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Been weird since Eric Ten Months left. Edwin van der Sar going. Their much vaunted academy sounds like it's in pieces and now atrocious league form.

remember when their reserves got to the dutch cup semi finals when kluivert , van der sar ? , seedorf and them were all kids. [o maybe it was a few years later]

pretty weird.

although i *know* some eastern euro league had a reserve team win the league in front of the first team at least once. but i forget when where and who. 

and i'm pretty sure west ham played against (and beat) a team's Bteam in europe (probably in the cup winners cup, but maybe uefa cup)

Steau Bucarest (the armys team) cannot play in the top flight anymore but that Commercial team with the now funny fcsb name does. because i think state owned teams are now forbidden from it (like in spain)

so be even rarer now, even though its only happened about 3 times before. 

half remembered facts, i'll have to check. 

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

what are girona doing top of la liga?

Lots of dosh apparently. Some of Cities owners have involvement. We played them ( Tenerife) in la liga 2 play off final two seasons ago, and they have gone from strength to strength. My mate over here, who follows Spanish football like we do with the Wanderers, reckon they will end up finishing 5/6th, which is still a decent season.

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

what are girona doing top of la liga?

55 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

remember when their reserves got to the dutch cup semi finals when kluivert , van der sar ? , seedorf and them were all kids. [o maybe it was a few years later]

pretty weird.

although i *know* some eastern euro league had a reserve team win the league in front of the first team at least once. but i forget when where and who. 

and i'm pretty sure west ham played against (and beat) a team's Bteam in europe (probably in the cup winners cup, but maybe uefa cup)

Steau Bucarest (the armys team) cannot play in the top flight anymore but that Commercial team with the now funny fcsb name does. because i think state owned teams are now forbidden from it (like in spain)

so be even rarer now, even though its only happened about 3 times before. 

half remembered facts, i'll have to check. 

The Steaua one is bizarre. No one can decide who is the actual club with both claiming to be the original and fans and ex players split alike

I read the top flight one send players on loan to their rivals to weaken the Steaua team

Edited by tomski

it were West Ham United vs Real Madrid B in the 80/81 cupwinners cup

Its On Youtube (the return home leg) LOL . 

they lost the away leg which is pretty funny, but they where also in the second division (same as rmB) at the time. 

and this is similar to what i thought (but its not what i'm misremembering). but in this case,  A reserve team and a first team both playing in the second division where eventually ,- The reserves got promoted to the top flight but the first team got relegated to the third tier. 

sounds dodgy, funny, but dodgy. 

Edited by e2e4
youtube link

14 hours ago, Zico said:

It's just a phase for city 

Like Liverpool in the 80s and Utd in the 90s 

Guadiola won't be there forever

Football works in cycles 

Newcastle having a great time of it at the moment on their way up, fans are loving it

They could be like city soon enough  

Enjoy it whilst it lasts

I get what your saying but City's place in the hierarchy isn't down to Guardiola as such, course he's a great manager, but the infrastructure in place now appears to be way ahead of anywhere else.  Liverpool owed their dominance to Shankly/Paisley arguably, like Derby and Forest won titles because of Clough, Everton under Kendal etc.  City could have Keith Hill as manager and they'd still be top 6 comfortably, they will never be in danger in our lifetimes of going down, unlike Utd/City/Newcastle of the 70s and 80s.

The big shift from a Utd/City point of view is that we grew up seeing Utd as the dominant team, City always striving to keep up (which they did for a bit late 60s to late 70s).  Those days are gone for the foreseeable.  It can change, City may have a dip and Utd may get a great manager/sort ownership issues, but a whole generation of teenagers/20 odd year olds only really know City dominance, its a massive shift and its hard to see it changing since they've regenerated the whole club.

21 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

it were West Ham United vs Real Madrid B in the 80/81 cupwinners cup

Its On Youtube LOL

and this is similar to what i thought (but its not what i'm misremembering). but in this case,  A reserve team and a first team both playing in the second division where eventually ,- The reserves got promoted to the top flight but the first team got relegated to the third tier. 

sounds dodgy, funny, but dodgy. 

I remember that game at the time because it was famous for no fans being allowed in the return leg at West Ham.  There had been trouble in Madrid in the 1st leg (surely not?).  I knew they'd played Castilla but had no idea it was Real Madrid B.

Newport got to the cup winners cup qtr-final that season, losing to Carl Zeiss Jena 3-2 on aggregate- how exotic that sounded - Aldridge was playing for them then. 

footballs crazy.. 

carl zeiss jena are in the fourth tier now. 

think they got to the final or won it. (they finished runners up)..

When ajax's reserves last got dead far in the dutch fa cup , they lost to utrecht in the semis on pens, wesley schnieder, nigel de jong era (so later than kluivert and them) 

but the thing thats pissing me off is they (utrecht) lost to proper ajax in the final and ibrahimovic scored , but fucking mido scored as well... 

i hated that bastard

Edited by e2e4
typos

3 hours ago, e2e4 said:

footballs crazy.. 

carl zeiss jena are in the fourth tier now. 

think they got to the final or won it. (they finished runners up)

when ajax's reserves last got dead far in the cup , they lost to utrecht in the semis on pens, wesley schnieder, nigel de jong era (so later than kluivert and them) 

but the thing thats pissing me off is they (utrecht) lost to proper ajax in the final and ibrahimovic scored , but fucking mido scored as well... 

i hated that bastard

I suppose that isn’t too surprising with how little East German representation there is in the Bundesliga & Bundesliga 2

16 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I suppose that isn’t too surprising with how little East German representation there is in the Bundesliga & Bundesliga 2

Yep factor in Leipzig being a different Leipzig team then it’s incredibly small. 

Also the de facto super powers of East  German football weren’t universally popular come the reunification due to being state teams. 

werent one of the east berlin teams the stazi ?

(just looked dynamo berlin , also now division 4)

they stole all dynamo dresdens players once, who themselves had taken players from other teams in the past. 

the soviets loved messing with that stuff. 

1 hour ago, e2e4 said:

werent one of the east berlin teams the stazi ?

(just looked dynamo berlin , also now division 4)

they stole all dynamo dresdens players once, who themselves had taken players from other teams in the past. 

the soviets loved messing with that stuff. 

Yep they still knock about but are despised by virtually everyone. Anyone of talent was off to earn some Deutschmarks at the first point they could. Had some good players at that point too.