Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

35 minutes ago, stevieb said:

I thought that too. Same with the corner after it. Wasn't sure if any delay was edited out for the itv replay? 

I chuckled at Big Ron saying Gazza had a shit game about a minute before his goal. 

I think it was replayed in full but hard to tell with no clock in the corner, which I'm sure ITV were using by 96.

It was a poor tournament as a whole in my opinion and I think people will really see how we were second best v Spain and how Holland actually played far better than a 4-1 loss deserved. But it's the memories that make it for me in this and other tournaments.

I'm sure revisionists and the Welsh will play down our run in WC2018 for poor opposition etc (though I'd like to see any of the other Home Nations stand up to the cynicism and gamesmanship of Columbia as we did) but those memories will last a lifetime.

I've just been watching the BBC rerun of England v West Germany at Italia 90.  We were the better team and I think most of us recall Waddle hitting the inside of the post at 1-1 with Platt just missing the rebound.  What I've never noticed before is Platt having a goal disallowed in the 2nd period of extra time.  Free kick on right, whipped in by Waddle's left foot, routine header from unmarked Platt 8 yards out centre of goal. Offside.  No apparent protests.  I've watched it about 8 times and I cant see how the German defender doesnt play him on, at the very least they are level.  Those infamous penalties should never have happened!

Been watching more World Cup catch up on BBC, I'm a week behind.  For anyone interested, Hierro and Campo are in the same Spain team at WC 98, v Nigeria.  I dont think Campo got many caps so I was surprised to see him in this.  Hierro scores a cracking free kick, unsurprisingly. 

On 22/05/2020 at 19:27, radcliffewhite1 said:

Disappointed with Boyata thought he was shite with us tbh 

He was played at right back by the clapping seal.

despite playing nigh on every game previously or since at centre half and being built exactly as a center half should be

I have a memory from burnden (95 onwards) that an arsenal star went into a slide tackle and slid off the pitch and ended up in the ditch. 

I've always thought it was Freddie ljunberg but looking at wiki it isn't him. 

Have I made this event up? If I haven't who was it? 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, stevieb said:

I have a memory from burnden (95 onwards) that an arsenal star went into a slide tackle and slid off the pitch and ended up in the ditch. 

I've always thought it was Freddie ljunberg but looking at wiki it isn't him. 

Have I made this event up? If I haven't who was it? 

I vaguely remember it being someone you wouldn’t expect - an Anders Limpar type