Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Is A Dump

anewman

Not really though is it?

What's easier than going to the Trafford Centre?

Or jumping on the train to one Manchesters 3/4 stations?

Only people from Bolton will go into Bolton. I've not heard of one person in my whole life who has chosen to go into Bolton town centre for anything other than a few beers before the match.

My wife and her mate went shopping for wedding shoes in Manchester today weirdly enough. Bolton is probably behind Mogadishu in the list of alternate places they could have gone.

It's not a dig. Just the way it is. That's why the town is failing, because nobody spends any money there.

Same applies for most town centres in the north west.

Getting to trafford centre is a nightmare at the best of times, more so with the roadworks at the moment. Agree about the train.

As an aside members of the wife's family come from near Lancaster to shop in Bolton from time to time.They say it's better than Preston or Lancaster? They are pushing 70 though and were appalled at what happened to the market hall.

• Site Supporter

Who have a bakery & depot in Bolton I believe.

And they're still in Bolton, aren't they? Please, does someone know the definitive answer?

Sayers is where Hampsons used to be in the back streets around Castle Market heading towards Lever street. Try Sidney Street

• Site Supporter

Simple question. Is there any reason why Bolton Council might have a predilection for pound shops and the like?

Loads of people with little disposable income.. Charity shops don't pay rates... Town centre must have daft rates as no small businesses come in..

One idea would be akin to Farnworth.. Get a large empty building and let little companies rent space there.. Like.. Say.. The old market place..

Not really though is it?

What's easier than going to the Trafford Centre?

Or jumping on the train to one Manchesters 3/4 stations?

Only people from Bolton will go into Bolton. I've not heard of one person in my whole life who has chosen to go into Bolton town centre for anything other than a few beers before the match.

My wife and her mate went shopping for wedding shoes in Manchester today weirdly enough. Bolton is probably behind Mogadishu in the list of alternate places they could have gone.

It's not a dig. Just the way it is. That's why the town is failing, because nobody spends any money there.

Same applies for most town centres in the north west.

Christ, things must be bad if people from Blackpool look down on Bolton.

Town centre must have daft rates as no small businesses come in..

Not a shop but a business but a good friend is having trouble with Pendle Council regarding business rates. They really are taking the piss with how much they charge. You'd think they'd not want folk to employ locals.

Christ, things must be bad if people from Blackpool look down on Bolton.

Blackpool has a great big whopping theme park and a gazillion other attractions to pull visitors in.

Bolton does not.

Who is looking down on Bolton anyway? I'm just saying its not a place anyone would chose to go when there's better options close by.

Why do people get so precious about their towns? Makes me laugh.

Blackpool has a great big whopping theme park and a gazillion other attractions to pull visitors in.

Bolton does not.

Who is looking down on Bolton anyway? I'm just saying its not a place anyone would chose to go when there's better options close by.

Aye. Which is why Horwich is where its at you Malakas.

Not a shop but a business but a good friend is having trouble with Pendle Council regarding business rates. They really are taking the piss with how much they charge. You'd think they'd not want folk to employ locals.

Business rates are set by central government.

From speaking to a bod who knows his stuff whilst I was at the council. Some of the problems in Bolton are;

the lack of units with decent floor space

Rents on the smaller units owned by private landlords being too high for small businesses

The high rents also affecting the cost of business

There's been many mistakes over the years by the council going back to the sale of the market place in the 80s. Things like allowing primark/Crompton place to shut the access to Bradshawgate don't go down to well with the public either.

The council can come up with grand strategies til the cows come home but without serious investment in the whole area between the station and market place (Newport street especially) it won't count for anything.

Rochdale has a new tramline and shiny bus station but even McDonald's has pulled out of the TC.

Bury has the market and the rock but the mill gate is full of empty units since their old tenants moved into the rock.

There are 2 forms of retail doing well at the moment high end places like Selfridge's etc and cheap shops and poundshops.

The middle sector of retail is struggling and they're your traditional fillers of town centre shopping precincts

Bolton does not.

Im not getting precious about it at all.

Bar watching Bolton at Bloomfield I can think of no reason to ever want to go to Blackpool.

The cesspit of the north west.

Bar watching Bolton at Bloomfield I can think of no reason to ever want to go to Blackpool.

You've clearly not been to one of Uncle Brians "Otters and Twinks" evenings. The highlight of many a social calendar as far as I'm concerned, and you don't get a good night like that anywhere in Bolton. Bolton whilst it has a great Bear scene, does nothing for Otters or Twinks. Just saying.

Good job 14 million people per year think otherwise.

Bolton is far and away worse than Blackpool, but I love Bolton.

Edited by Pablo