Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Budget

Big E

• Moderators

The BBC and its output for less than the cost of a pint a week is superb value. How much does Sky cost again?

What output is this? Strictly Come Dancing and Radio 3? Much of its output is an embarrassment.

The old "less than a pint" argument, if it's such good value why not use the actual cost as no one pays for their licence weekly? Is it worth £145? Not to me, yet I pay it to avoid being branded a criminal. What is this, North Korea?

Sky costs me fuck all. And if it did it would be because I chose to subscript to it.

A

The BBC and its output for less than the cost of a pint a week is superb value. How much does Sky cost again?

And Carlos' analogy was preferable...It's a sixth of the council tax charge to watch a few hours telly per week for those who don't watch much, that is utter bollocks. Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Moderators

Another analogy, it costs more than a years gym membership at a budget gym. Oh good, another cooking programme. Fuck off.

Ironically, the "good" stuff, Attenborough etc. is sold throughout the world for profit. So we are subsidising the rest i.e. the shit.

You should look in the bargain buys thread more often, the drink of the much loathed aspirationals class, Pimms, was...oh aye, you know about that already ;). Anyway, the licence fee, if you watch about zero to two or three hours of the BBC a week it's far from a bargain. There should be a subscription fee instead, an optional subscription fee.

Another analogy, it costs more than a years gym membership at a budget gym. Oh good, another cooking programme. Fuck off.

Ironically, the "good" stuff, Attenborough etc. is sold throughout the world for profit. So we are subsidising the rest i.e. the shit.

Agree totally. Hate having no choice. As for the cookery programmes 9/10 involve cooking stuff that 99% of the uk population can't cook through lack of the outlandish utensils needed or the ingredients are only available to people living in London.

For all that people mock her at least Delia could teach the masses how to cook a decent Sunday meal. Only other guy to make an attempt was Jamie Oliver.

Budget gym <shudders>

There's always at least a couple of hours worth of viewing every night on BBC4, if you watch more telly than that have a look at yourself.

Granted BBC3 is dire then again the BBC have the only radio/podcasts worth listening to and a web site most people visit every day.

I like the idea of the BBC, as it was when I was growing up

It puts out some great stuff, but has some ego-driven shite/waste of money

and then there is the lefty, anti-British feel to it

If we can prune, then keep it

• Members

Quite common down under apparently. The aussie branch of our family have had all sorts of bother with it

Micks spot on. Rife down here. Do we blame Breaking Bad?

Youri - most of their cues?  Some, yes they do. 'Most'?

I wonder where all the crutch between the knees trousered, reverse baseball cap crowd in the UK take their cues? I suspect Liechtenstein.

Micks spot on. Rife down here. Do we blame Breaking Bad?

Youri - most of their cues?  Some, yes they do. 'Most'?

I wonder where all the crutch between the knees trousered, reverse baseball cap crowd in the UK take their cues? I suspect Liechtenstein.

Going well in the cricket, Bolty

Anyroad - back on topic.

Cameron - lying arse or canny politician?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32526461

Clearly a liar, but it isn't any surprise when neither the Tories nor Labour would clearly outline what cuts they would make pre-election.

They weren't saying because they didn't want to. The fact that we put up with such shit politics is depressing.

Anyroad - back on topic.

He hasn't cut Child Benefit as such. Every child for whom it is given retains it.

But thitd children of benefit age after a date next year won't qualify initially.

(Presumably when the eldest child is out of benefit the third child then qualifies? etc, etc.)

Just remember that when Blair said "I'm a straight kinda guy" the press assumed he meant honest, but actually he meant heterosexual.

He hasn't cut Child Benefit as such. Every child for whom it is given retains it.

But thitd children of benefit age after a date next year won't qualify initially.

(Presumably when the eldest child is out of benefit the third child then qualifies? etc, etc.)

Just remember that when Blair said "I'm a straight kinda guy" the press assumed he meant honest, but actually he meant heterosexual.

It's the tax credit that is the issue I think....

• Site Supporter

BBC should have ads and then scrap the licence fee.

As for the budget, I'm about £1400 worse off.

The BBC take our licence fee to supposedly prevent the need for them to have to take advertisers' funding yet they spend every opportunity to self-advertise anyway so might as well take the third party money. And still they do product placement anyway.

• Members

Going well in the cricket, Bolty

Loving it mate but I really wanted us to set them 500. The cheeky cunts down here have been predicting they will win 5-0 for the last month. I can't fucking wait to jam that down their throats when we go 1-0 up.

• Members

Anyroad - back on topic.

Canny politician. The end game is what should be focussed on. At the end of their term, the UK will be in a far better position yet again. I just hope voters will realise that and not 'fancy a change'.

Some folk seem to think the deficit is just a paper thing but the national debt is real and interest repayments on it are greater than what we spend on education. So unfortunately some tough choices have to be made, you cannot just pluck a number out of the air and say "stop corporate tax avoidance".

Some folk seem to think the deficit is just a paper thing but the national debt is real and interest repayments on it are greater than what we spend on education. So unfortunately some tough choices have to be made, you cannot just pluck a number out of the air and say "stop corporate tax avoidance".

Tough choices or not you could be upfront about them. Further you could no outright lie. End of the day it is why politicians are viewed at an all time low here. Everyone knew that the Tories and Labour couldn't maintain all their promises pre-election.