Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Indeed. Im not doubting the mans intentions whatsoever. He should have a statue outside the ground.

However I dont personally think he spent £180m of his own personal fortune on Bolton Wanderers and how that figure came to frution has rather a few holes in it.

But anyway, the folk that he trusted to spend his money wisely were the problem.

I doubt very much he considered any of his spending on BWFC was "wise". It was heart over head.

Who are the people you suspect misspent his cash, or falsely elevated his losses? If that was the case, surely there'd have been legal charges and prosecutions?

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I doubt very much he considered any of his spending on BWFC was "wise". It was heart over head.

Who are the people you suspect misspent his cash, or falsely elevated his losses? If that was the case, surely there'd have been legal charges and prosecutions?

You need to look at Phil Gartside’s role in the finances of BWFC, I think.

By the way, former player, Dean Holdsworth played a major role in getting Ken Anderson inside our club. For that and the Miss at Wembley, he’s a cunt!

14 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Alot of the loans were drawn up against players valuations for starters, which were rather high. Plus loaning your own company money with favourable terms etc. All added to the magical figure of £180m which when scrutinised was actually nowhere near.

Nothing illegal like but if you think everything was squeaky clean during that time you'll be sadly mistaken, especially with Phil Gartside running the show. Kick backs all over the show. 

Just all part of running a huge business with more going out than is coming in.

If you dont think we misspent cash on trying to buy our way out of the championship on a series of fuck up managers and players on over inflated wage then again I think you are mistaken.

Edited by gonzo

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Alot of the loans were drawn up against players valuations for starters, which were rather high. Plus loaning your own company money with favourable terms etc. All added to the magical figure of £180m which when scrutinised was actually nowhere near.

Nothing illegal like but if you think everything was squeaky clean during that time you'll be sadly mistaken, especially with Phil Gartside running the show. Kick backs all over the show. 

Just all part of running a huge business with more going out than is coming in.

If you dont think we misspent cash on trying to buy our way out of the championship on a series of fuck up managers and players on over inflated wage then again I think you are mistaken.

I don't give a fuck about the ins and outs of it all to be honest. I just know Eddie Davies was solely responsible for those halcyon years, and they wouldn't have happened without his daft spending.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I don't give a fuck about the ins and outs of it all to be honest. I just know Eddie Davies was solely responsible for those halcyon years, and they wouldn't have happened without his daft spending.

Aye and that daft spending was responsible for the next ten years of utter hell.

Glad we did it like but it nearly cost us a club.

13 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

4-7m is quite a wide gap. I assume we were offered 4m he’s off. No idea what either are like financially. With Johnston though I’m convinced he was off and we are 1 cb heavy. No idea when he’s back so may be over thinking it

• Site Supporter
Just now, gonzo said:

Aye and that daft spending was responsible for the next ten years of utter hell.

Stick with the wife in future then...

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

As Eddie says - the main period of daft spending compared to turnover was post Allardyce. Think more David N'Gog, Keith Andrews & Matt Mills than Youri, Jay Jay & Campo. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, tomski said:

Did I miss the bit where we won something?

If some of those days aren't etched into your memory as deeply as winning a cup, you definitely missed something.

5 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

As Eddie says - the main period of daft spending compared to turnover was post Allardyce. Think more David N'Gog, Keith Andrews & Matt Mills than Youri, Jay Jay & Campo. 

Indeed. I mention such in my earlier posts.

We were like a drunk lottery winner trying to recapture pissed up the wall winnings.

The Dougie Freedman era sealed the deal and nearly saw the death of us forever...

....that era was always going to come after the heights we had been.

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

If some of those days aren't etched into your memory as deeply as winning a cup, you definitely missed something.

They were good for sure. Probably the best that most of us will ever see. But to leverage the club against not even a trophy seems daft to me. Give me an fa cup or a Leicester yes. Then again I may be greedy and like a trophy and not another decade of shit.