Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

Might give it a go NIC - I'm also pretty confused as to why something can't necessarily work because it didn't necessarily work 40 odd years ago.

The book mentioned was written by a Guardian Journalist who was born in 1969. So to answer your original question, your better listening to people like me and Bolty, as unpalatable as that might be.????

I do think that the left are generally less tolerant of free speech

Classic example of the hypocrisy of the left....

https://mobile.twitter.com/ISupport_Israel/status/1021007331390304261

Where’s all the protests from the left and feminists today against this person ?

Care to comment NIC, Kent White, bwfcfan5, Owen fucking Jones my arse ?

Is Jones organising a protest march ? Is he fuck !!!

I disagree, I have a new role wherein one day a week I encounter 'the public' - I hear all sorts of clueless bigoted claptrap and merely give a noncommittal "hmm..." in response.

The idea that 'free speech' gets shut down in everyday practise is bollocks, British folk are generally just too polite, especially in deference to elders, to do this.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Classic example of the hypocrisy of the left....

https://mobile.twitter.com/ISupport_Israel/status/1021007331390304261

Where’s all the protests from the left and feminists today against this person ?

Care to comment NIC, Kent White, bwfcfan5, Owen fucking Jones my arse ?

Is Jones organising a protest march ? Is he fuck !!!

London Muslim mayor welcomes the gays' beheader, Emir of Qatar BUT not President Trump - Free Speech Time -

https://www.deathpenaltyworldwide.org/country-search-post.cfm?country=Qatar

Not saying he's not a cunt, like.

But why overegg the pudding?

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I'd agree - as it stands.  I don't seem to remember it always being like that though?

The old school 'Speak English in the presence of an Englishman' type mindset being one I remember from my youth.

I honestly think the youth have been schooled into  believing liberal/left wing doctrines are absolute, therefore any criticism can be met with ridicule or doesn't deserve to be given consideration.

Liberal fascism, if you will.

It's why folk like Jordan Peterson need to be given more air time as a sane and rational counter to this idiocy and hypocrisy.  At least the far right call a spade a spade.  See what I did there? :)

Edited by madthatter

I'd agree - as it stands.  I don't seem to remember it always being like that though?

The old school 'Speak English in the presence of an Englishman' type mindset being one I remember from my youth.

I honestly think the youth have been schooled into  believing liberal/left wing doctrines are absolute, therefore any criticism can be met with ridicule or doesn't deserve to be given consideration.

Liberal fascism, if you will.

It's why folk like Jordan Peterson need to be given more air time as a sane and rational counter to this idiocy and hypocrisy.  At least the far right call a spade a spade.  See what I did there? :)

This is absolute, unadulterated nonsense. The fact people believe this really worries me.

There is no liberal or left wing doctrine. It simply doesn't exist. The right wing dominated British media have been saying whatever the hell they like for decades and decades and very rarely has anyone ever bothered to stand up to them. When they do and their abhorrent behaviour is revealed we suddenly get a not-so-subtle effort to subvert the conversation to one of "PC gone mad" and "left wing liberal elite thought control". 

Much of this is societal too. What people think is or isn't acceptable is often led by large scale societal changes. 

This is absolute, unadulterated nonsense. The fact people believe this really worries me.

There is no liberal or left wing doctrine. It simply doesn't exist. The right wing dominated British media have been saying whatever the hell they like for decades and decades and very rarely has anyone ever bothered to stand up to them. When they do and their abhorrent behaviour is revealed we suddenly get a not-so-subtle effort to subvert the conversation to one of "PC gone mad" and "left wing liberal elite thought control".

Much of this is societal too. What people think is or isn't acceptable is often led by large scale societal changes.

I was reading that and agreeing then remembered the Rotherham child abuse. That was a liberal mindset failing to protect children because of the race/religious element.

I was reading that and agreeing then remembered the Rotherham child abuse. That was a liberal mindset failing to protect children because of the race/religious element.

It is way, way more complex than that. We've failed to protect children for a long time in an awful lot of scenarios. As a nation, we are spectacularly poor at it.

Of course some element of the issue was fear amongst the authorities of being labelled "racist". Equally not all the failings came down to that. Even so, this isn't some national liberal doctrine that has been prescribed by some weird liberal totalitarian figurehead. This is a complex web of societal, political and individual issues at play all contributing to how we as a society react to things.

I don't suppose anyone listened to the link I posted.

it very much tackles the failures of liberals to address issues, as the doctrine of the right to over exploit them to their own ends.

we very much have a very concerned white, older middle aged public scared that their alpha position in society is being threatened, unearned or not. They're not defending anything but their own positions under the guise of standing up against a 'common enemy' - which is why you get 'all Muslims bad' nonsense. Folk get to hide their real opinions behind some sort of skewed moral justification, and the internet gives it a voice.

'liberal facisim' comes from a feeling when certain people want to behave in a certain way and generally society says, well, actually that's not really acceptable anymore. Gay men can kiss each other in the street, different religions can have places of worship, the workplace should be a meritocracy. This doesn't cause the last days of Rome, except for those who feel it upsets their pre-eminent place in society.

It doesn't mean you have to stop being men, stop liking women, stop drinking beer and stop watching football. Its just there are other voices allowed, and just because you bellow loudest and longest, doesn't mean your voice is the only one that should be heard. Sorry, about that. Its not liberals who are 'doing this to you'. 

I don't suppose anyone listened to the link I posted.

it very much tackles the failures of liberals to address issues, as the doctrine of the right to over exploit them to their own ends.

we very much have a very concerned white, older middle aged public scared that their alpha position in society is being threatened, unearned or not. They're not defending anything but their own positions under the guise of standing up against a 'common enemy' - which is why you get 'all Muslims bad' nonsense. Folk get to hide their real opinions behind some sort of skewed moral justification, and the internet gives it a voice.

'liberal facisim' comes from a feeling when certain people want to behave in a certain way and generally society says, well, actually that's not really acceptable anymore. Gay men can kiss each other in the street, different religions can have places of worship, the workplace should be a meritocracy. This doesn't cause the last days of Rome, except for those who feel it upsets their pre-eminent place in society.

It doesn't mean you have to stop being men, stop liking women, stop drinking beer and stop watching football. Its just there are other voices allowed, and just because you bellow loudest and longest, doesn't mean your voice is the only one that should be heard. Sorry, about that. Its not liberals who are 'doing this to you'. 

This. Far more eloquently than I could say it. But this is spot on. 

What you have to remember that this is a place where generally white working class men 30 and above post so the general tone is always going to be as it is. Doesn’t mean it is wrong or right.

So there ain't just one view of the world that we all have to conform to?

Fuck me, there's a revelation.

Another reason to dislike that plum Rees-Mogg

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/jacob-rees-mogg-interview-with-channel-4-news-1-5619425

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jacob-rees-mogg-economy-brexit_uk_5b54e3b5e4b0de86f48e3566?guccounter=1

Could take up to 50 years before we see the benefits. Brill

Edited by Sweep