Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Now come on. You wokes have been using the 'owd, thick racist' jibe since Brexit. You curl up into a ball when the name calling comes from the other direction.

That's the problem, woke means too many things to different people. To gammons it is any view left of Viktor Oban but others use it more for hard left ideology.

I mean, Penny is being called woke for simply having sympathy with trans issues a couple of years back.  I suppose gammons will be gammons. 😉

• Members
40 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

That's the problem, woke means too many things to different people. To gammons it is any view left of Viktor Oban but others use it more for hard left ideology.

I mean, Penny is being called woke for simply having sympathy with trans issues a couple of years back.  I suppose gammons will be gammons. 😉

Keep this up matey and you'll take the mantle from the current poster boy for the British Pork Marketing Board - DazBacon.

I have zero problems with Mordaunt, woke or otherwise.  Quite simply, the correct one at the right time.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

Kathy Burke's view on the whole woke business.

Aye, been mentioned before 

Definition of woke is "alert to injustice in society" 

Not sure why it's a supposedly a derogatory term if that's what it means  

I guess that's varying degrees of wokeness with folk trying to hard 

But generally, it's a sound concept 

19 minutes ago, Zico said:

In which case, I'm happy to be labelled woke. Mind you, I am.

• Site Supporter

I’m woke but I think that gays flag is a bit busy. They had them all down Regents Street and in all honesty it just lacks style.

Which is surprising really, with the gays being usually quite stylish.

• Members

To label anyone as "woke" as an insult reflects badly on them I'd say.  But they are the sort of people who would be happy with that.  The sort of person who applauds that bloke in the "I refuse to kneel" tee shirt.

59 minutes ago, DazBob said:

To label anyone as "woke" as an insult reflects badly on them I'd say.  But they are the sort of people who would be happy with that.  The sort of person who applauds that bloke in the "I refuse to kneel" tee shirt.

El jamon?

Interesting that some have taken the 'think,old, racist' line.

What actually people pointed out - even earlier in this thread - (and then it was twisted to say you lot are calling us thick) is that the data showed that if you were over 50, educated to O-Levels or under, male and living in towns and not major cities that there was an overwhelming propencity to vote leave. No one said thick until loads took offense.

In the same way that in you were university educated or above, under 50, lived in a city that you overwhemlingly voted to remain. 

That's just the data, just because you aren't educated over a certain threashold, doesn't mean you are thick. Although a lot of them seemingly could learn to grow thicker skins it would appear.

3 hours ago, Winchester White said:

That is the issue - it covers a multitude of sometimes opposed views.

But generally, being more open, a bit nicer, more accepting and trying to see things from others views (something that some people who claim 'wokeness' miss) is a pretty decent starting place.

Which is why woke is used as an insult by some rather than trying to understand some tricky socital issues.

21 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

That is the issue - it covers a multitude of sometimes opposed views.

But generally, being more open, a bit nicer, more accepting and trying to see things from others views (something that some people who claim 'wokeness' miss) is a pretty decent starting place.

Which is why woke is used as an insult by some rather than trying to understand some tricky socital issues.

Sort of like moving away from rigid thinking and not having anger as the default reaction when coming across as another outlook. 

7 minutes ago, Morizio said:

Sort of like moving away from rigid thinking and not having anger as the default reaction when coming across as another outlook. 

I'd say so. But also there is a point in calling out bigotry, misogyny etc when you see it. There are better ways of doing it though, rather than just saying 'you're wrong, shut up.'

Like the Women's football thread, there are some very interesting positions being taken over there, but I doubt any come from a place of hate, perhaps just a bit of misunderstanding/mixing together of issues which if dicussed folk can try and move the issue forward rather than it becoming another boring entrenched battle in the ever tedious culture wars.

Edited by Not in Crawley

• Site Supporter

I've done a bit more research

Penny all the way.

That Tom Flugelhat seems to be all over the place policy-wise, Sunak is a charlatan, Truss is Johnson in knickers, Braverman is sinister.

Kemi thingimabob actually seems half decent but Penny is more likely to press her busters against other world leaders to get what she wants so I'm all in on The Mourdant.

• Members
1 hour ago, Morizio said:

:D FFS, why use one word when you can use 17. Reminds me of er indoors.

You 'woke' types do seem to love to make life far more complicated than it needs to be. The other engineers frequenting this place know that the other end of the spectrum is the most desirable.

For me, 'woke' relates to either meddling, attention seeking, shit stirring, well meaning but mistaken or generally working hard to be seen to be of the type dictated by the rules of contemporary social media.

No thanks. I might add to my #antifacebookista tee shirt with a #antiwoke one.

• Members
4 hours ago, Zico said:

I guess that's varying degrees of wokeness with folk trying to hard 

But generally, it's a sound concept 

Every injustice? Like minority groups being massively over exposed on our TV screens; men masquerading as women and romping away with sports victories; skorts raising the hopes of males only to deliver a passion killing blow etc.?

If so, I might be slowly woking (I know, I know, Paul Weller).

1 hour ago, Spider said:

I've done a bit more research

Penny all the way.

That Tom Flugelhat seems to be all over the place policy-wise, Sunak is a charlatan, Truss is Johnson in knickers, Braverman is sinister.

Kemi thingimabob actually seems half decent but Penny is more likely to press her busters against other world leaders to get what she wants so I'm all in on The Mourdant.

Let’s be thankful you’re not going to be voting then.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Whitesince63 said:

Who you backing today then?

You wanted 5 of them to win last night, you managed to narrow it down based on which one wants to burn the most coal?

• Members
3 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

In the light of his last 6 words, I'd let him vote. Then I remember the Brexit referendum and it's probably wise not to let him as he'll probably fuck it up.