Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

5 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

Brexit has had an economic effect. No doubting that but not as bad as some predicted. COVID and the Ukraine war has had a much bigger impact. Europe is experiencing exactly the same problems as us, in some cases worse.

Very difficult to compare things with 6 years ago with everything going on in the world.

Not according to many economists, who are now unpicking and comparing it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59070020.amp

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/amp/2022/07/05/brexit-damage-is-eu-exit-now-hitting-uks-economy-harder-than-covid

you post your links, il post mine 😉

• Members

Lovely morning. Looking out over a sun kissed ocean in a place called Mandurah and the news of the Republicans achieving majority control of the House of Representatives with 7 seats still to be decided has just come through. Biden was already a lame (embalmed?) duck and this simply makes it official. Pelosi fucked off from the speakers chair is excellent news. The less we see of her the better.

"Únderwhelming midterms''? Maybe. Great result though.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Yes bolty good news indeed so let’s hope that’s the start of the end of this geriatric prick Biden in 2024? Run off between Donald and DeSantos now for the Republicans which should be interesting?

Trump is waaaaay younger than Biden 🤡🤡🤡

• Members
5 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Yes bolty good news indeed so let’s hope that’s the start of the end of this geriatric prick Biden in 2024? Run off between Donald and DeSantos now for the Republicans which should be interesting?

Yes mate - obviously we would have to miss out on a lot of entertainment if The Don didn't get the gig and De Santis did.

"Woke comes to Florida to die" did it for me. Think the new blood could really be good from all aspects.

Glad to see the back of that vicious bitch (relatively speaking of course but she will certainly have far less of a platform from which to spout her bile) and, as you say, the embalmed one is a disaster for the world. All of the megalomaniacs are emboldened knowing that the leader of the free world is a spent cartridge. Putin, Xi Jinping, Kim Jong Un all flexing whatever muscles they have in recent times knowing that the US might issue a strongly worded reprimand and fire a Nerf gun in a fit of pique.

The US needs a strong man (yes, I said 'man' and feel no shame) to maintain balance.

31 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Yes mate - obviously we would have to miss out on a lot of entertainment if The Don didn't get the gig and De Santis did.

"Woke comes to Florida to die" did it for me. Think the new blood could really be good from all aspects.

Glad to see the back of that vicious bitch (relatively speaking of course but she will certainly have far less of a platform from which to spout her bile) and, as you say, the embalmed one is a disaster for the world. All of the megalomaniacs are emboldened knowing that the leader of the free world is a spent cartridge. Putin, Xi Jinping, Kim Jong Un all flexing whatever muscles they have in recent times knowing that the US might issue a strongly worded reprimand and fire a Nerf gun in a fit of pique.

The US needs a strong man (yes, I said 'man' and feel no shame) to maintain balance.

This conversation is truly a meeting of minds.

10 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Not according to many economists, who are now unpicking and comparing it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59070020.amp

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/amp/2022/07/05/brexit-damage-is-eu-exit-now-hitting-uks-economy-harder-than-covid

you post your links, il post mine 😉

Post away👍 Your first article, 12 months old, is a prediction. (It’s also been widely misinterpreted) Your second article inconclusive. 
The articles I posted were based on where we are now. You or anyone else can interpret them as they wish.

17 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Post away👍 Your first article, 12 months old, is a prediction. (It’s also been widely misinterpreted) Your second article inconclusive. 
The articles I posted were based on where we are now. You or anyone else can interpret them as they wish.

You seemed so certain that the effect wasn't significant. Just showing that you can't be sure. 

7 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

You seemed so certain that the effect wasn't significant. Just showing that you can't be sure. 

As a committed Brexiteer London, I’m absolutely certain we’re worse off and I don’t need newspaper articles to tell me but it’s not “because” of Brexit, it’s because we’ve never really had a true Brexit. Nothing apart from actually leaving has been done and Remain believers have every right to ask what was it worth? Until we break completely free of the EU, including returning NI fully to the U.K. control, leave all the institutions associated with the EU and deliver what was promised, it will remain pointless and a true piece of self harm. You can’t be half in or half out. All true Brexiteers wanted a full withdrawal including No Deal so we knew exactly where we stood. Yes it would be painful at the start but could it be worse that what we have now with this ridiculous Hokey Cokey set up? I don’t think so.

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

As a committed Brexiteer London, I’m absolutely certain we’re worse off and I don’t need newspaper articles to tell me but it’s not “because” of Brexit, it’s because we’ve never really had a true Brexit. Nothing apart from actually leaving has been done and Remain believers have every right to ask what was it worth? Until we break completely free of the EU, including returning NI fully to the U.K. control, leave all the institutions associated with the EU and deliver what was promised, it will remain pointless and a true piece of self harm. You can’t be half in or half out. All true Brexiteers wanted a full withdrawal including No Deal so we knew exactly where we stood. Yes it would be painful at the start but could it be worse that what we have now with this ridiculous Hokey Cokey set up? I don’t think so.

We are out of the single market and customs union, in what way have we not left the EU?

18 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

👍
In what ways would leaving the EU without a deal have benefited our economy? 

It's hard to find any economists that believe a no deal would have left us better off. Do you know any? Genuinely interested to hear their side if so. 

56 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

That would be absolutely smashing for the GFA and our economy. You are a true visionary👍

We had this discussion before the vote and your annoyingly negative rhetoric about how disastrous a No Deal would be. A No Deal would also be disastrous for EU businesses and do you seriously believe that there wouldn’t be a trade deal reached to offset that. You talk utter bollocks because all you ever see is the downside. The EU is a busted flush and something we’re far better out of longer term.

2 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

We had this discussion before the vote and your annoyingly negative rhetoric about how disastrous a No Deal would be. A No Deal would also be disastrous for EU businesses and do you seriously believe that there wouldn’t be a trade deal reached to offset that. You talk utter bollocks because all you ever see is the downside. The EU is a busted flush and something we’re far better out of longer term.

Good job the UK is thriving, out of the EU then.

3 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

you don’t like facts.

In many cases EU businesses have moved away from UK suppliers to alternative EU suppliers since brexit because it is less complex and less expensive.  Simple market forces.

The UK is now 13th as a source of German imports compared to 9th in 2016.  Uk also dropped out of the top ten German trading partners (imports and exports) now overtaken by the Czech Republic.