Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V Croatia

L/H White

Just me that thinks kane was very dissapointing?

They did a job on him.

They packed that final 3rd and stopped any balls getting through. Probably did their homework and realised we don’t have a player that can sit the hole and do that.

Ali is deffo not that man for that. Jono shelvy might have been the answer but we really need to find that link up man to progress now. It’ll come.

Shows they must be doing something right to identify and develop such talent from such a limited pool. Modric is quality but they’re far from a one man team.

They’ve just had a decent tournament, the same as us.

We are doing something right too

They beat us in extra time. That’s the only difference.

Could’ve easily have been us tonight.

Surely you come out of this tournament with more hope for the future than after say Brazil 2014 or Euro 2012? Looked old and out of ideas then and with all the talk of root and branch reform. Now we at least have a blueprint and a wave of goodwill

Yeah, absolutely. But I don’t believe in blueprints. We were too wedded to 352 tonight for example. To playing out from the back. We might have been able to close the game out if we’d changed and stopped getting so spread out. If we’d been tight and protected the full backs, would Croatia have scored?

I think there are lots of positives, but in 2 years time lots could be different. Truth be told win or lose tonight, France are a class above us and Croatia.

They’ve just had a decent tournament, the same as us.

We are doing something right too

They beat us in extra time. That’s the only difference.

Could’ve easily have been us tonight.

In fairness they looked much better than us after half time. Yes we should have taken our chances but the better side won on the night. England lacked a bit of experience. But arguably some quality too when it really came down to it. Fine margins as ever, but I think the better side won tonight.

• Moderators

The stats had us about 10 - 1 against efforts on goal

I'd dispute that but that is a clearer measure of the difference between the 2 teams than 2 1

Yeah, we could've won with the run of the ball but they've got a Madrid and a Barca midfielder

They are and were better than us, but we will hopefully have some continuity now and improve

Corners alone won't win us a cup

Like I said, it's time for good thoughts not doom n gloom

In fairness they looked much better than us after half time. Yes we should have taken our chances but the better side won on the night. England lacked a bit of experience. But arguably some quality too when it really came down to it. Fine margins as ever, but I think the better side won tonight.

Totally agree.

But we take our couple of chances and it’s a different game. Stones doesn’t fall asleep, it’s also a different game. Like you say fine margins.

It wasn’t an embarrassment and we weren’t miles away. There’s a lot to be proud of there tonight.

A great tournament for our young squad for sure. A couple of things niggled me in the Croatia game though - Why did our players look so fucked after 45 mins? The Croats had played 120 mins in their last 2 games,but looked much fitter than us after half time. We still arse around with the ball at the back too much imo,how many times did we pass back to Pickford ffs?

how many times did we pass back to Pickford ffs?

It was very noticeable and whilst at times it was needed, I did feel at times our defenders could have gone forwards though and also whilst Pickford has shown nothing to credit my thoughts, I was always thinking everytime it went back 'please don't be a Gary Neville Paul Robinson moment' or a horrible slice. 

A pressure reliever but not as much when they come straight back, he's obviously trusted and looks assured and composed and his distribution when he has time is very good, but when our defenders pass back and it's a first time whack I just felt it was a little unnecessary.

I don't think it helps when you only have Henderson in midfield, both Trippier and Young advanced and none of Lingard or Alli showing for the ball, the easy ball was Pickford. if we had a Modric or Rakitic, I doubt we'd have seen it.

That last bit wasn't a dig on Alli or Lingard, but they stay upfront waiting for a ball played forward, not themselves coming back asking for it, if Henderson isn't in space it usually went backwards.

The last few games i mean

Apart from the pens he didnt offer to much imo

Should have made it 2-0 tonight

I'll sleep on it

I’m not sure if he’s actually fully fit you know, suppose we’ll find out soon enough if he misses start of the season

I’m not sure if he’s actually fully fit you know, suppose we’ll find out soon enough if he misses start of the season

Deli Ali certainly wasn't fit he should of been dropped and as for sterling, he must be sucking southgate off

Anyone else think the ref and linesman were terrible in extra time, we should have had 2 corners and Dele Alli was clearly fouled by Vrsaljko in a dangerous area.

Aye but we got a few our way in the first half to be fair.

Not too gutted about that.  We probably should have put the game to bed but again, once a team susses us out we struggle to adapt.  As said above a link man or someone with a bit more nous in midfield is needed.

Still, lots to be proud of and very promising for the future  :)  We'd all have taken that I reckon? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.