Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

University Of Bolton Stadium

Biggish Dave

Always happy to be corrected if I’m wrong!

What’s the proportion of student fees v other income?

The government funding they receive is used for research and cannot be used for this. Whatever they are paying comes out of their surplus and that will be from student fees. They are after all regarded as a private institution (as are all Universities) formally. 

The government funding they receive is used for research and cannot be used for this. Whatever they are paying comes out of their surplus and that will be from student fees. They are after all regarded as a private institution (as are all Universities) formally. 

Are not student fees initially public funded in the first place?

Ok students (in theory) should repay them from their earnings but I think most analysis is that over half of the student loan total will be written off after the 30 year period.

So if the tax payer has made the initial payment and the students don't manage to repay their loans over the period they were due - and the money is written off - then who is left out of pocket other than the public purse?

Are not student fees initially public funded in the first place?

Ok students (in theory) should repay them from their earnings but I think most analysis is that over half of the student loan total will be written off after the 30 year period.

So if the tax payer has made the initial payment and the students don't manage to repay their loans over the period they were due - and the money is written off - then who is left out of pocket other than the public purse?

Some are, some aren't.

But that is getting beyond the point. Universities aren't directly publically funded to operate. They are given research income and other structural grants but money from government is accounted for and reported against specific research or enterprise schemes. They aren't publically funded in the sense that they are given a block grant to cover their running costs. 

Some are, some aren't.

But that is getting beyond the point. Universities aren't directly publically funded to operate. They are given research income and other structural grants but money from government is accounted for and reported against specific research or enterprise schemes. They aren't publically funded in the sense that they are given a block grant to cover their running costs. 

Next 10 page debate starts right here.

Go on then.

Should the university be spending money, whether student fees or public, on sponsorship of a football club?

One presumes there will have been a cost/benefit analysis after the shirt sponsorship?

Go on then.

Should the university be spending money, whether student fees or public, on sponsorship of a football club?

One presumes there will have been a cost/benefit analysis after the shirt sponsorship?

Well we are in the top 44 clubs, whereas they are not in the top 100 universities, so we are lifting their status!

Go on then.

Up to them. Should anyone bother spending their money on sponsoring a football stadium?

They will see it as a way to raise their profile and attract more students. Which is behind virtually every decision smaller Universities make. They want more students. I've no idea if this is a good idea for them but presumably will help their profile out.

They only need 100 new UK students and it is almost an extra £1M in annual income for the Uni. 

Edited by bwfcfan5

How on earth does Bolton uni being stadium sponsor equate to selling our soul.

Jesus christ there's some knobbers out there.

The Internet has a lot to answer for in giving bellends a platform when they'd be told to get fucked in real life.

It will be some massive middle aged knuckle dragger with a chip on their shoulder about HE.

Having an argument with someone who thinks we've sold our soul and may as well change the colour of our kit while we're at it, and used Cardiff City as an example.

I'm not sure if Bolton Uni ranks alongside Vincent fucking Tan.

No doubt suggested 'The new Burnden' or the 'Lofthouse Stadium' as alternatives

but yesterday complained we had signed no fucker as we had no money thanks to Ken...

It will be some massive middle aged knuckle dragger with a chip on their shoulder about HE.

I think it was a younger person to be honest, with the Anti Modern Football thing going on.

I'm as AMF as the next bloke on a lot of things, but this isn't one of them. In fact the local Uni getting involved is probably a bit Anti-AMF, isn't it?!

The name isn't catchy, it doesn't slip off the tongue, I'm sure we all wish it had a traditional, old school name. But it could have been much, much worse.

Edited by Marc505

Up to them. Should anyone bother spending their money on sponsoring a football stadium?

They will see it as a way to raise their profile and attract more students. Which is behind virtually every decision smaller Universities make. They want more students. I've no idea if this is a good idea for them but presumably will help their profile out.

They only need 100 new UK students and it is almost an extra £1M in annual income for the Uni.

Well, here’s hoping it works out for all concerned.

I think it was a younger person to be honest, with the Anti Modern Football thing going on.

I'm as AMF as the next bloke on a lot of things, but this isn't one of them. In fact the local Uni getting involved is probably a bit Anti-AMF, isn't it?!

The name isn't catchy, it doesn't slip off the tongue, I'm sure we all wish it had a traditional, old school name. But it could have been much, much worse.

:D

The last time we had an unsponsored ground was 21 years ago. And even then it had a fucking supermarket on the bastard.