Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

On 17/10/2020 at 13:46, Smiley said:

Definitely got the running bug. 

17 miles around Kinder, Mam Tor, Losehill and Edale. An 18 miler locally around Carrington, Warburton, etc. 10 miler around Flixton/Stretford. And then a 9.5 mile run up & down Snowdon yesterday. 

Interspersed with a number of 5 milers.

Feeling pretty chuffed. And then see a mate has ran a 30 miler through the night in the lakes with ascents the equivalent of 4 Snowdon’s. Deflated!!!

You certainly seem to be on the obsessed side of it to me !!

On 18/10/2020 at 18:50, Steejay said:

Fookin hell, did Wansfell today for the first time in 30 years.

It wasn't so steep last time...

Did it last week with the Mrs (thrown in plenty of hikes in-between runs). Parked up on the lay-by opposite the garden centre. The climb up felt tougher than it should've been. Coming back down through the woods we found an old lady who had slipped and fell, gashed her head open at Jenkin Crag. Did our bit, helped clean her up, got her on her feet, and back onto safer ground. Didn't slip a finger in or ask HBAYT either. Saying that, my Mrs wouldn't have been impressed if I had!

On 19/10/2020 at 20:18, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Make the most of it. Once in tier 3, we're not supposed to make unnecessary journeys out of the area. Hiking police all over the hills.

Stayed local yesterday, ran along the Mersey, then Stretford to Lymm along the Bridewater Canal, around Lymm Dam, back down the Transpennine trail, along the Bollin Valley Way and back through Carrington Moss. Clocked 30.8 miles on Strava (32 miles on Fitbit). Quite chuffed, hadn't run a marathon before, so made it an Ultra for good measure. Got chafing on my back that's reminiscent of an early 80s holiday in the South of France before parents bothered with sun cream!

I’m back on a health kick while the pubs are shut. Gym 5 times a week for mix of cardio and weights workouts. 

3kg off in last two weeks. Keep getting good starts then falter. Given myself a target for Xmas day to be at a certain weight and also to be able to run a certain route on Xmas day morning before the presents get opened. 

Friday - 5.5m road run

Sunday - 11m road run

Monday - 11m trail run (Howden & Derwent Reservoirs)

Wednesday - 9m trail run (Penny Flash)

.... and I’m piling on the weight!!! Appetite of a horse at the minute. Unreal. 

Edited by Smiley

• 2 months later...

Not daring to weigh myself until probably Tuesday when some of the festive bloating might have settled down. In absolutely no doubt that I’ve put on at least two stone since August. Jeans still fit ok, but a few of my tops and beginning to feel more than a little bit snug. Time to knuckle down now. 

I finished 2020 3kg lighter than I started it. Which is disappointing as I had hoped for more but the effort I’ve put in probably justifies a worse finish than that Tbf 

off the drink now til the pubs open. Out for a run tomorrow which will be a killer and finally going to get round to using the resistance bands I’ve got and the workout @ZicoKellysent me about 8 months ago! 

2 stone off by Easter as a minimum 

I was doing well at the gym and ok on the diet front but April onwards I absolutely fucked it

Struggled to exercise at home despite having enough equipment

WFH too close to the kids snacks

Both of the above was just shit willpower - nothing else 

Started drinking in the house, which I’ve never done really

All good work previously undone and some 🐷🐷

No excuses this Jan, mind-set shift needed and will needs to be strong and approach as if it’s work for me

Edited by jules_darby

• Moderators

6 lbs heavier than i was on the 6th of january

Prob means ill be almost the same as i was last year by the 6th

I dont actually eat much but eat at bad times

And theres a 14'' pizza, a couple of greenhalghs pies and too much ale each weekend 

Stop drinking and no other changes and id lose 2 stone in a year

Frightening

Lost most of the weight when i stopped drinking. I was doing less exercise compared to the start of the year too. Just a 5 mile walk 3 or 4 times a week.

Want to start running again but if i'm honest i'll feel a bit of a twat pounding the cobbles with ye olde Covid doing the rounds. Need to find somewhere quite.

• Members
13 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Fucking hell Rudy, you was about 9 stone when you played football for me.

I was skin and bones. Metabolism slowed down but drinking and eating didn’t, then I started boxing training started to pack on muscle then went to the gym at work everyday.