Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sunderland (H)

Okocha10

47 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:
I think after the initial new manager boom, which in our case has netted 2 points from 9, the season is more likely to peter out into nothingness because we don't have a goalscorer.I can't see the midfield keeping up that standard, enthusiasm and energy level for months on end, which they'd need to do without goalscorers.
On the day Hill was appointed, I stated on here that Rochdale were an attractive, passing side who were held back because they couldn't afford to pay for goalscorers, that looks to be the case for Hill here for this season.That we started the season with a non league standard side, a 12 point penalty  and can't afford a goalscorer will surely be too big a hurdle to overcome relegation.

Murphy and O’Grady to come in yet, don’t forget. 

14 hours ago, Underpants said:

A couple made themselves known when they scored. Not a good thing for them to do when they've got a child with them.

Can anyone explain why Sunderland werent given more of the bottom tier.  I get there needs to be a bit of a no man's land between home and away, but that was huge, hence Sunderland fans in home end.  Doenst make sense especially when you see other grounds where away fans can almost touch hands eg WBA, Huddersfield, Stoke.  It feels like we've chucked about £50k away there.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Can anyone explain why Sunderland werent given more of the bottom tier.  I get there needs to be a bit of a no man's land between home and away, but that was huge, hence Sunderland fans in home end.  Doenst make sense especially when you see other grounds where away fans can almost touch hands eg WBA, Huddersfield, Stoke.  It feels like we've chucked about £50k away there.

I can only presume it’s something to do with SAG only granting a licence for that number of fans. Given there’s only Sunderland going to bring that number, it could be 1 issue the new owners don’t have high on their list of priorities

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Only speculating, but I suspect a certain number of extra away fans (combined with home sales) might be a trigger point for an extra level of policing. So although it might generate x amount in extra ticket sales, it ends up running at a loss when the police bill lands.  

Edited by Leyther_Matt

13 hours ago, Hoppy510 said:

Expectations. Their fans expect to walk the league, get promoted and certainly beat a team in our position.

We on the other hand are still in la la land simply because we exist and so far we expect nothing.

A couple of decent performances and some signs of improvement from the regular 5 nil thrashings may bring a swift end to that - I'm already hearing talk of survival and that's the first step down the road to having expectations. Bit daft really seeing as today Southend and Tranmere both won and Stanley managed a draw so now we're 15 points behind Portsmouth and they have a game in hand on us so that task got bigger if anything.

Question is how much further can we improve this season? The lads seem to be putting in 100% already but they can certainly gel more as a team when they know each other better, getting a striker in may help and not every team we play will have the quality of Sunderland so there is some hope, but folk should be very wary of getting carried away.

Personally I won't mind if we get relegated, but the moment folk start expecting us to survive will spell the end of the feel-good factor that has become the inspiration of the squad and the manager and ultimately the driving force behind our renaissance. I'll be gutted if all the progress is undermined by wankers who are incapable of simply being grateful that we still exist and start getting on the players/managers back if we have a bad game or we don't survive. Rebuilding from scratch is a long, slow process and there will definitely be bumps along the road.

Great post.  Yes its all about expectations.  If we having a fighting draw in every game this season we will go down comfortably, but the fans will be sympathetic, supportive and optimistic.  If we win 5 out the next 8 and get to within touching distance of a couple of teams, then lose at home to Southend and play poorly, the moaners will be out in force.  To be honest its the nature of football fans and we'd have to put up with it.  Personally I could accept the first scenario above, but if we got to April 2 points from safety then blew it in the last 4 games, I'd be absolutely gutted when I think of the players we'd lose and the prospect of years in Div 2.  But we'd be gutted about football matters, not financial mismanagement, and that's all we've wanted for the last couple of years.

5 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

I agree. With a presence up top we should be more than a match for the majority of teams in this division over the coming weeks 

the concern is, the long winter months, games sat - Tues - sat, injuries & suspensions mount up and the threadbare squad losing a couple of key players and we’re out of our depth again 

we’ve very little wiggle room 

Even without the strikers this might turn out to be the strongest squad we have till January at least.  Our best players, excluding strikers, are all available, so that we have a midfield as good as most in this league.  We are bound to get key injuries at some point and probably suspensions, as Politic, Bridcutt, Lowe especially play 'on the edge' much of the time and will get bookings.   That's when we'll struggle, because those 3 plus Verlinden are absolutely pivotal to how we play, and we can add the 2 centre backs to that if we judge Zouma as not quite ready yet.

4 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Bannable offence? The bloke posting this seems to think so and is a mission by the looks of the thread

He's a teenager who's got pissed and done something he shouldn't. I suppose it moght be right that he gets some kind of punishment for it, a ban from attending their matches for the rest of the season or something, but those threatening to post his address online and "send someone to his door" need to find a better way to fill the void in their lives.

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

Circumstances mean that I’m unable to attend that many games at the moment so it was heartbreaking yesterday to concede so late. Kept off here last night as I was a tad tipsy drowning my sorrows.

Massively encouraging to see such a seismic shift in the type of football played and to see players looking for the ball and playing on the front foot 

We are going down. The EFL penalties will see to that. But football like that week in week out at least will see relegation with a bit of a smile on my face and massive encouragement for next season

46 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Possibly. But it’s HIll’s football that’s encouraging no matter who we have as players

57 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Trouble is, most of these players won't be here next season.

Not unrealistic to think that yesterday's back 4 could be around, they arent likely to be inundated with more attractive offers, add Brockbank, Zouma, Edwards, Boon, Bunney and Div 2 holds no fears.  And we wont a have a worse striker situation than we have this season, so that can only improve. We'll probably have lost Verlinden and Bridcutt by January so plenty of time to get used to life without them, unfortunately.  But if we could keep hold of Lowe, Politic, Crawford and Weir we'd have a great base, and the same style of football will be continued.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not unrealistic to think that yesterday's back 4 could be around, they arent likely to be inundated with more attractive offers, add Brockbank, Zouma, Edwards, Boon, Bunney and Div 2 holds no fears.  And we wont a have a worse striker situation than we have this season, so that can only improve. We'll probably have lost Verlinden and Bridcutt by January so plenty of time to get used to life without them, unfortunately.  But if we could keep hold of Lowe, Politic, Crawford and Weir we'd have a great base, and the same style of football will be continued.

I'd be very surprised indeed if Politic remains with us after relegation to League Two.

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'd be very surprised indeed if Politic remains with us after relegation to League Two.

Me too, I was being optimistic.  So the key is to get him on a longish contract and attract a decent fee.  I think being in Div 2 with this management team and our relative status, with just a bit of financial muscle we'd be a huge attraction for players at that level.  The likes of Vaughan signing for Bradford, Maynard last year at Bury and Tyler Walker at Mansfield is the standard we should be aiming for to get us back up.  

Still can't get over how exciting that game was. We definitely rode our luck at times (thought there was a stonewall pen earlier on in the second half, and their strikers would have buried a couple on another day) but to be honest, we've had none of that for yonks.

Really, really encouraging all round. I agree with the general sentiment that staying up with the points deduction (and no doubt more to come) will be nigh on impossible, but isn't it just nice to have a bit of optimism and belief around the club again?

Is it just me who will be surprised if Zouma makes it as a real footballer? Has the physical attributes but not sure he can read the game at all. Forget the handball - it was one of those things - but instead see how often he is dragged out of position. Yes he's young but he's not as young as others who I think have better football brains. His physicality might save him but I'm not completely convinced. 

4 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Is it just me who will be surprised if Zouma makes it as a real footballer? Has the physical attributes but not sure he can read the game at all. Forget the handball - it was one of those things - but instead see how often he is dragged out of position. Yes he's young but he's not as young as others who I think have better football brains. His physicality might save him but I'm not completely convinced. 

I’m not sure yet to be honest. 

He seems to be everywhere. Whether that is because he feels he is reading it well and covering or he’s out of position in the first place I’m yet to make my mind up 

whilst he seems to snuff out a lot he also looks liable for a howler

inexperience or lack of understanding I’m yet to work out