Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

In most public service roles you will regularly encounter total bellends who are often on the verge of, if not actually - violent/confrontational.

The recipient of this treatment will react in a spectrum of ways - from being extremely intimidated/scared to be weighing up when and how they're going to muller them (the bellend).

Conflict resolution training does help. It's done and dusted in a long morning...

Half of compulsory training is due to compo culture/liability issues - not some 'bureaucrat' dreaming up ways to waste time and resources.

I've worked on the front line in public sector. I had no training, other than a gaffer saying dont get involved. Fuck that.

We're in a pandemic, with folk needing a simple jab. If they kick off, get security to wazz them out. Overthinking at times.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, boltondiver said:

For me, it’s political 

Keep the schools closed, get this years exams cancelled, parents having to stay at home, more uncertainty, undermine the Government.

The usual playbook 

May be the odd individual like that, but at this particular time I don't think it's a generalised insidious approach. 

Moreover, if they do shut the schools, the government have the comeback of the pandemic itself.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Big E said:

Will these teachers be giving back their pay ? Seems mad how many teachers have been able to stay home on full pay, many of whom ignore the rules and tier hop for activities / walks

Worked all way through and will be continuing to do so. 

Planned 4 lessons for Tuesday recorded them on loom and uploaded ready to go. On Tiesday I will be in school recording Wednesdays 5 lessons, checking work had been done and contacting home parents of kids who have not. That alongose recording mini videos for kids that are struggling and providing feedback for the ones who have.  

Rather have kids in school, all my videos are open to scrutiny, much more stressful recording a 15 min video than teaching in front if a class.

But schools are not safe, 

Today is not a good day. Legal action from the teaching unions, medical professionals openly questioning the government’s vaccine policy and a record number of daily cases. Desperately need Boris to get things under control. 

1 minute ago, wiggy said:

Today is not a good day. Legal action from the teaching unions, medical professionals openly questioning the government’s vaccine policy and a record number of daily cases. Desperately need Boris to get things under control. 

Never waste a crisis, I think they said

A nurse in london claiming, incorrectly, that there’s a ward full of kids with Covid.

The extreme left have no decency threshold, it seems.

8 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Planned 4 lessons for Tuesday recorded them on loom and uploaded ready to go. On Tiesday I will be in school recording Wednesdays 5 lessons, checking work had been done and contacting home parents of kids who have not. That alongose recording mini videos for kids that are struggling and providing feedback for the ones who have.  

Rather have kids in school, all my videos are open to scrutiny, much more stressful recording a 15 min video than teaching in front if a class.

That’s a no to giving the money back then?

20 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Sorry mate can’t resist - do you teach spellin ?😂

1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

Nope maths. 

And it Big E. Why pay back salary if I've worked for it? 

Are you asking fringe players to give up their wages for the club? 

My point is people demanding to be off work but nobody is offering to be furloughed. I may be wrong but my experience looking in from the outside is there is a hell of a lot of fucking about by people who are so busy “working”

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Big E said:

My point is people demanding to be off work but nobody is offering to be furloughed. I may be wrong but my experience looking in from the outside is there is a hell of a lot of fucking about by people who are so busy “working”

They could furlough me, I'd get paid, and not have to do anything, safe in the knowledge that I'd have a job after. However I'll be in my classroom Monday working away. 

The idea is schools are meant to be safe, they're not and the rules are not working..

2 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

They could furlough me, I'd get paid, and not have to do anything, safe in the knowledge that I'd have a job after. However I'll be in my classroom Monday working away. 

The idea is schools are meant to be safe, they're not and the rules are not working..

But it’s impossible to make any environment with so many people in such small enclosed spaces safe unless they wear full PPE which isn’t feasible. Therefore they should be shut. But shut them and you shut down the entire country in reality. 

If we are going to do it now we should have done this back in March/April and we probably wouldn’t be where we are now. 

Edited by Escobarp

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

But it’s impossible to make any environment with so many people in such small enclosed spaces safe unless they wear full PPE which isn’t feasible. Therefore they should be shut. But shut them and you shut down the entire country in reality. 

If we are going to do it now we should have done this back in March/April and we probably wouldn’t be where we are now. 

We did do that in March and April. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

How long for? And fully?

as you can tell I don’t have any kids to worry about schooling 

We closed around the 18th March, reopened fully in September.

Year 11 had 4 weeks in during June and July a day a week in socially distanced classrooms. 

Mayne run schools at half capacity, one week half kids, next week another half. 

It was working albeit stressful before xmas but it was too much to keep that going.  Lots if teachers burnt out, suffering from schools pushing "business as usual" in a time when even getting kids into school and learning something was a mammoth task.

4 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

We closed around the 18th March, reopened fully in September.

Year 11 had 4 weeks in during June and July a day a week in socially distanced classrooms. 

Mayne run schools at half capacity, one week half kids, next week another half. 

It was working albeit stressful before xmas but it was too much to keep that going.  Lots if teachers burnt out, suffering from schools pushing "business as usual" in a time when even getting kids into school and learning something was a mammoth task.

Yes I remember now as kids here went back in august 

• Site Supporter
17 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Why are we fucking about like this? We're even going to balls this up aren't we?

Be careful what you believe. 

A couple of epidemiologists were questioned about mixing vaccines- they explained that not only would it be safe, but it might be beneficial. Mhra didn't authorise its use in that way though, as no data available. Apparently, trials doing just this are underway though.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A couple of epidemiologists were questioned about mixing vaccines- they explained that not only would it be safe, but it might be beneficial. Mhra didn't authorise its use in that way though, as no data available. Apparently, trials doing just this are underway though.

Of course.

After less than a year’s development, really smart to maintain thinking and improvement.

Plain common sense.

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Hope so

Monday will be recording lessons and having my first of two covid tests of the week. We're expecting 400 kids in in Tuesday. So they'll be taught in school in their normal classes. So then in teh evenings we'll record lessons for the next day for kids that are learning at home.

School IT budgets just don't stretch to the fancy facilities of private sector so it isn't possible to simultaneously teach in the classroom and to the kids at home so it's all extra. Maybe teachers will get bonuses for the overtime like the civil servants have been (while they sit comfortably at home).

The headlines say schools are closed, the reality is far from it.