Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

The Govt seem to have been doing everything they can to keep a lid on the virus so people do not think it is all over. 

Relaxing over Xmas flies in the face of that. Come the New Year and some has a 50th bday and has a party. How do you answer the argument ‘it was ok 2 weeks ago.’ ?  

54 minutes ago, wiggy said:

Numbers of deaths amongst those under 65 certainly appear to be thankfully small, but any admissions are still taking up valuable NHS resource. Fill the hospitals, even with people who end up surviving, and there is bound to be a knock on effect. People I know working in the NHS say that they are extremely stretched. And way beyond what they would normally expect for this time of year.

I get that people are desperate for time with their families, but my fear is that rather than celebrate "sensibly", a lot of people will see this as an invitation for the mother of all blow outs. If the vaccine is genuinely as close as is being suggested that I would have thought the best present we could all give each other this year, is a bit more patience.

I might be wrong but the numbers requiring hospitalisation are also massively weighted towards those in the ‘vulnerable’ groups 

As these groups receive their vaccination over the coming weeks, the risk to the NHS diminishes each day 

Let’s see what the government say on it, I’d like to think restrictions are relaxed in December from where they are currently, with many ‘non essential’ shops and businesses allowed to re open for what is a crucial period for many of them

Christmas might only be a single day but in reality the Christmas period accounts for a much bigger % of annual revenue than a normal trading period. If that relaxation requires the vulnerable to be ‘a bit more patient’ then so be it, the majority of them would adhere to it for their own safety as much as anything else 

Although I think the government will stop short of asking that group to follow restrictions above and beyond that of the rest of us 

5 minutes ago, Ani said:

The Govt seem to have been doing everything they can to keep a lid on the virus so people do not think it is all over. 

Relaxing over Xmas flies in the face of that. Come the New Year and some has a 50th bday and has a party. How do you answer the argument ‘it was ok 2 weeks ago.’ ?  

Having a 50th birthday party hasn’t been an option since this started in March, not even in the Summer, that won’t change 

I don't think anyone is saying “let us have a Christmas party” 

Just allow non essential businesses to open in a similar way to September / October 

3 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Having a 50th birthday party hasn’t been an option since this started in March, not even in the Summer, that won’t change 

I don't think anyone is saying “let us have a Christmas party” 

Just allow non essential businesses to open in a similar way to September / October 

I am talking about family gatherings over Xmas. And yes I do think lots of people are thinking we can have a decent sized Xmas do. 

I agree on opening any non essential business that is safe. Step daughter has a lashes business and has done everything to keep it safe. My point is if we relax too much now in the wrong areas we end up with everything going back to square 1 later. 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Ani said:

I am talking about family gatherings over Xmas. And yes I do think lots of people are thinking we can have a decent sized Xmas do. 

I agree on opening any non essential business that is safe. Step daughter has a lashes business and has done everything to keep it safe. My point is if we relax too much now in the wrong areas we end up with everything going back to square 1 later. 

aye

there's a difference in opening things up and asking folk to do what they need to do, and shutting things down so they can't do what they want to

give them an inch and all that

I also agree on non essentials

but if pubs are allowed tier 3, that will be abused instantly during the festive period

and demographic based lockdowns are also a non starter

if you put decisions into the public hands, a reasonable sized amount will do what they want (certainly more now than in July(, and due to the exponential nature of the virus, it doesn't take much

new year spike incoming I reckon

if you were ever going to do dry january, might as well be 2021

• Site Supporter

If the pubs near me are open over xmas, temptation will get the better of me for sure.

I know it’s hard, but there’s an end just around the corner.

Why can’t we just show some blitz spirit for another 8 weeks and then we can be pretty much back to normal.

We made other religions sit tight, I’m sure all us devoted, never-miss-Sunday-sermon Christians can do the same for the greater good.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Grannies don’t have to go for Xmas dinner, the point is you have the option to go or not to go and rightly so. Time government stopped telling us how to live our life’s. 

If they hadn't told us how to live in a way to help ourselves in the face of the virus, and just said carry on they'd have been guilty of all sorts of breeches of standards and maybe of various crimes.

If more people weren't so dismissive, then maybe we wouldn't quite be where we are.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If they hadn't told us how to live in a way to help ourselves in the face of the virus, and just said carry on they'd have been guilty of all sorts of breeches of standards and maybe of various crimes.

If more people weren't so dismissive, then maybe we wouldn't quite be where we are.

There was plenty of advice given by the government, then it’s up to folk to decide for themselves, I’m not in favour of government controlling us like they currently are. 

18 minutes ago, Spider said:

If the pubs near me are open over xmas, temptation will get the better of me for sure.

I know it’s hard, but there’s an end just around the corner.

Why can’t we just show some blitz spirit for another 8 weeks and then we can be pretty much back to normal.

We made other religions sit tight, I’m sure all us devoted, never-miss-Sunday-sermon Christians can do the same for the greater good.

The Government have made Christianity sit tight as well. The "Christmas" they want to accomodate isn't the religious festival.

• Moderators

can't grumble really

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55038155

Gyms and non-essential shops in all areas are expected to be allowed to reopen when England's lockdown ends.

On Monday afternoon, Boris Johnson will explain the detail of England's return to the "three-tier system" when lockdown ends on 2 December.

It is reported pubs in tier three will stay shut except for takeaway. In tier two, only those serving meals can open.

Last orders in all pubs will remain at 22:00 GMT, but customers will have an extra hour to drink up.

The ban on outdoor grassroots sport is also set to be lifted in all tiers, following calls for this restriction to be eased.

And mass testing will be introduced in all tier three areas.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

There was plenty of advice given by the government, then it’s up to folk to decide for themselves, I’m not in favour of government controlling us like they currently are. 

Many have decided for themselves and look where that's got us.

Other places like Australia act quick and hard and strangely keep things under control locally. 

We have played at it in some ways; sorry but the idea of 'government control' is the stuff contrails and aliens. Nothing more than virus minimisation attempts.

Not one government anywhere would deliberately seek to reduce the economic performance of the country, but merely taking measures as they see fit.

Our methods of virus control have been similar to other Europe nations as you know, with largely similar results. Increasing pushback from their populations too.

Perhaps folk with similar feelings to you could sign an agreement whereby you can carry on fairly normally, in selected pubs etc, but you must pay for your treatment for covid if infected?

48 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Many have decided for themselves and look where that's got us.

Other places like Australia act quick and hard and strangely keep things under control locally. 

We have played at it in some ways; sorry but the idea of 'government control' is the stuff contrails and aliens. Nothing more than virus minimisation attempts.

Not one government anywhere would deliberately seek to reduce the economic performance of the country, but merely taking measures as they see fit.

Our methods of virus control have been similar to other Europe nations as you know, with largely similar results. Increasing pushback from their populations too.

Perhaps folk with similar feelings to you could sign an agreement whereby you can carry on fairly normally, in selected pubs etc, but you must pay for your treatment for covid if infected?

My best chance of catching it is from my wife (works in a school) or son ( still at school) because I’m behaving as recommended on government advice, therefore I’m not sure why I shouldn’t be allowed nhs treatment if I became ill.