Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

20 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

I’m not sure this is doable, there’s going to be nothing left of the economy if this happens, we need the government to balance risk of deaths against getting the economy back on its feet. France, Italy and Spain and many others are reopening businesses, we should be doing something similar and pretty soon. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

you're not having it that lockdown was the right thing to do, are you

Seems like it, to me. For now.

But, I do empathise with differing voices

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Seems like it, to me. For now.

But, I do empathise with differing voices

I would, if they could put together a sound argument, based on something more than his opinion, but that guy, he says

The state is now invested in its lockdown, which government will undoubtedly credit for any decrease in infections, regardless of the truth. We will require the truth. We cannot install nationwide suffocation as the standard parliamentary response to any new illness. 

We’ve little evidence that putting a plastic bag over a whole country is epidemiologically sound. So we will want proper professionals to extrapolate exactly what this bandwagoning hysteria accomplished aside from economic ruin.

that's because we're right in the middle of it,  but he's clearly made his mind up and will not accept that this is what we have to do - he won't accept lockdown caused us to flatten the curve, so I'm not sure what proof he's looking for, or what could convince him otherwise

what does he think the truth is?

what we have is a scientific report telling us what would happen if we did nothing, and what would happen if we aimed for herd immunity, and what happens if we try to flatten the curve, and how we go that

that's all we have

but you will be hard pressed to prove that not going into lockdown would've helped save lives, but he sounds like another hardcore tory who puts money before lives anyway

and seems to think that we wait till everyone is better before we lift it, course not, look around, other countries are starting to lift restrictions, and if it works, we will too

I just don't get what these people expect to actually happen, other than carry on like nothing is happening

12 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m not sure this is doable, there’s going to be nothing left of the economy if this happens, we need the government to balance risk of deaths against getting the economy back on its feet. France, Italy and Spain and many others are reopening businesses, we should be doing something similar and pretty soon. 

We need to get the infected number down a lot more before we can consider it,  and we need to see what works first - if we pick the wrong exit strategy and infections spike up, it means another lockdown for several weeks.

Italy has opened bookshops, laundries, stationers, childrens clothes shops in areas with low infection only, and has allowed forest workers and IT manufacturing back to work, with restrictions. Lombardy is still in lockdown until May 3rd at least.

If the infection rate keeps low over the next 3 weeks they plan to re-open most shops, with everyone wearing a mask and only 1 person per 20sqM allowed in at a time. restaurants in  a months time. The world will be watching to see if it works or not

Italy are currently reporting new infection rates of 2.5k a day,  their lowest for a month, whilst testing 45K per day - we are at 5.k new cases a day from 16K tests - we are way off at the moment unfortunately.

I think we are looking at June for some areas, with some restrictions lifted, if Italy works.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

We need to get the infected number down a lot more before we can consider it,  and we need to see what works first - if we pick the wrong exit strategy and infections spike up, it means another lockdown for several weeks.

Italy has opened bookshops, laundries, stationers, childrens clothes shops in areas with low infection only, and has allowed forest workers and IT manufacturing back to work, with restrictions. Lombardy is still in lockdown until May 3rd at least.

If the infection rate keeps low over the next 3 weeks they plan to re-open most shops, with everyone wearing a mask and only 1 person per 20sqM allowed in at a time. restaurants in  a months time. The world will be watching to see if it works or not

Italy are currently reporting new infection rates of 2.5k a day,  their lowest for a month, whilst testing 45K per day - we are at 5.k new cases a day from 16K tests - we are way off at the moment unfortunately.

I think we are looking at June for some areas, with some restrictions lifted, if Italy works.

So the initial 12 weeks was probably about right

30 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

My brother works for nhs. sent home with symptoms and the guy he works with has just tested positive after also being sent home. So they’ve tested my brother and he  Is now waiting for the results. 

Hope he is ok. 

In fact hope everyone mentioned on this thread are OK. 

Edited by Ani

21 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

On the testing have to cautious on %of positive tests. As you test more people the risk profile will drop so % of positives will drop too. 
Not saying the results can be ignored but not quite the same thing. 

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

861 today

Booooo

I assumed it would go back above 800, but I was expecting a much higher number, the fact that we've not been registering 1000+ per day, considering the numbers we were looking at 7-10 days ago, is a good thing, and fingers crossed, shows that we may now be at peak. Here's hoping!!

51 minutes ago, Ani said:

On the testing have to cautious on %of positive tests. As you test more people the risk profile will drop so % of positives will drop too. 
Not saying the results can be ignored but not quite the same thing. 

I'm not going off the % mate - the point I was trying to make is that Italy have decided to lift restrictions with a substantially lower number of new infected patients than UK, despite them testing 3 times more - if we tested 45K today,  we'd have more than 5k new cases I presume, I was trying to emphasis that we are quite far away from getting the same results as them at the moment, so we shouldn't be expecting our govmt to start lifting anything yet.      

1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

I'm not going off the % mate - the point I was trying to make is that Italy have decided to lift restrictions with a substantially lower number of new infected patients than UK, despite them testing 3 times more - if we tested 45K today,  we'd have more than 5k new cases I presume, I was trying to emphasis that we are quite far away from getting the same results as them at the moment, so we shouldn't be expecting our govmt to start lifting anything yet.      

Fair enough. I agree that we are a way of coming out of this for a while yet. 

I do not understand why testing is not the major topic in every briefing everything else is progressing. This seemed to be something we could move forward but it is not. There maybe reasons but let’s here them. 

11 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I assumed it would go back above 800, but I was expecting a much higher number, the fact that we've not been registering 1000+ per day, considering the numbers we were looking at 7-10 days ago, is a good thing, and fingers crossed, shows that we may now be at peak. Here's hoping!!

Aye 861 deaths seems to be good news. Which is not something you should ever say. 

5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

agreed, it appears to be plateauing as expected, the social distancing has worked.

The average daily exponential growth is very small compared to 10 days ago, I'm 99% sure that we are now in the peak, not sure if we are at the beginning of it, and will see slight increases over the coming days, or if we are on the way down yet, but I'm fairy sure its not going to get much worse, for now.

36 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

according to prof Ferguson we hit the peak 2 weeks ago. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/uk-hit-coronavirus-peak-2-21875563

he's on about new infections peaking in the community, we're on about deaths, which is a reflection of infections 2-3 weeks down the line, so its the same thing really

Edited by peelyfeet