Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pubs and Clubs

Burndens Bogs

14 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Clubs. May of may not be in order of preference.

Civic Hall Walkden

Uncle Toms Cabin little Hulton

Palais Bolton

VA Va Bolton

Pips Manchester

Cranberry Fair Darwen

Highland Room, Blackpool Mecca

Twisted Wheel Manchester. 

Lots of others but none that could compare.

I missed one on that list in my youth at the Twisted Wheel, the Cavendish Club at Blackburn was brilliant in it's day for a night out.

1 minute ago, leigh white said:

I missed one on that list in my youth at the Twisted Wheel, the Cavendish Club at Blackburn was brilliant in it's day for a night out.

Same with me but I found it later in life. The Wheel still exists in essence but not at the same building. It’s now on Princess Street. Worth a Sunday out when things get back to normal.

14 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Same with me but I found it later in life. The Wheel still exists in essence but not at the same building. It’s now on Princess Street. Worth a Sunday out when things get back to normal.

I'm on the Twisted Wheel FB site, always playing the tunes from back when.

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

That landlord in the Ainsworth, think he was called Tony, he was a proper cunt, only pub I ever got barred from, was only chatting a female Santa up on my works do, fucker took offence, must have been his wife or daughter 😁

Ha ha Tony was a top bloke. The Ainsworth lot at that time were related to or good mates with Clive who took over The Howcroft from Frank(?). Used to see the same crowd in both

3 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

That landlord in the Ainsworth, think he was called Tony, he was a proper cunt, only pub I ever got barred from, was only chatting a female Santa up on my works do, fucker took offence, must have been his wife or daughter 😁

Top fella was Tony, an old school landlord, he was firm but very fair. My guess is you tried tapping his daughter after a few beers.

12 hours ago, Rudy said:

Was syndicate with the rotating dance floor?

Kico was good as a young 20 yr old, indie tunes, cheap ale, could wear trainers inside 

Fuck me Kico, we must be of a similar age. Had some decent nights in there. Definitely some more hilarious memories dotted around the more obscure venues.

Missing a proper night out.

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

I saw Chubby Brown, Stan Boardman, Lynn Perry and many others at the Aquarius, artist and a disco, cheap beer, brilliant place and near my old primary school Brandwood Street.

Lower bags probably wouldn't allowed to be open now due to health and safety, one door in and out, big basement bar though.

Lower Nags had two exits. 

• Members
6 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Fuck me Kico, we must be of a similar age. Had some decent nights in there. Definitely some more hilarious memories dotted around the more obscure venues.

Missing a proper night out.

Yeah it was a good club, seemed to keep away the roid heads and orange ladies 

5 hours ago, Traf said:

Stole my Thunder .

The back door is still there .

It was a great atmospheric bar , saw some good covers bands in there .

One of them played excellent "Jam" numbers.

The only downside was the infrequent visits by a group of gypsy inbreds from Little Lever  . Every time it kicked off , good style.

Blood n snot everywhere, set of sneaky fuckers.

7 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

I saw Chubby Brown, Stan Boardman, Lynn Perry and many others at the Aquarius, artist and a disco, cheap beer, brilliant place and near my old primary school Brandwood Street.

Lower bags probably wouldn't allowed to be open now due to health and safety, one door in and out, big basement bar though.

Bernard

Stan Boardman

Shawaddywaddy

Ginger Baker( unbelievable set ). About 60 in , spoke to him afterwords . Not at all like his supposed media image.

Salford Jets

Rocking Horse .

Always a good night but the beer was shite.

Gave me a bad head everytime.

Aquarius omg YES.

It was very much like a real life Phoenix club.

Some great nights in there, yes the beer was awful slalom lager i think, it got a bit of a makeover early 80s when a manc bought it but the same clientele .

Remember Jack & Vera Duckworth judging a talent night in there and some very leary Christmas dos.

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

7 hours ago, Traf said:

You came out  in a back street behind TSB on Hotel Street

Lower Nags, Swannies and Maxims in town.

White horse, Classics wine bar and The Vic in Howfen.  

Happy days in all of them.  Being a boring sod, I'll throw in Bolton snooker club where you could play all day and phone your food and drink order from the tables.  You'd come out after a skinful into broad daylight, that just made you worse!

• Members
34 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Lower Nags, Swannies and Maxims in town.

White horse, Classics wine bar and The Vic in Howfen.  

Happy days in all of them.  Being a boring sod, I'll throw in Bolton snooker club where you could play all day and phone your food and drink order from the tables.  You'd come out after a skinful into broad daylight, that just made you worse!

Riley’s and the conny club in astute bridge had good snooker halls

The function room above the conny club has had some good doos in

1 hour ago, Whitestar said:

Aquarius omg YES.

It was very much like a real life Phoenix club.

Some great nights in there, yes the beer was awful slalom lager i think, it got a bit of a makeover early 80s when a manc bought it but the same clientele .

Remember Jack & Vera Duckworth judging a talent night in there and some very leary Christmas dos.

Peter Kay was brought up about 300 yards from the Aquarius