Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Ukraine

Rudy

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1181795131?-39488:26004

Russia are moving nukes to Belorussia. Putin may be getting plan b ready. The sooner he dies the better.

Some are starting to think that he may go for Belarus as a diversion for his failure to capture Ukraine.

Obviously not by the same methods but to bring Belarus within Russia officially.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Some are starting to think that he may go for Belarus as a diversion for his failure to capture Ukraine.

Obviously not by the same methods but to bring Belarus within Russia officially.

That wouldn’t involve any invasion. It’s a de facto Russian enclave anyway. There’ll be internal resistance but nothing like Ukraine.

He certainly can’t afford to be fighting another war, so I don’t see it happening either way.

If he fires even a single nuke he’s toast.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Spider said:

That wouldn’t involve any invasion. It’s a de facto Russian enclave anyway. There’ll be internal resistance but nothing like Ukraine.

He certainly can’t afford to be fighting another war, so I don’t see it happening either way.

If he fires even a single nuke he’s toast.

That's what I mean, he could be thinking that he could just absorb Belarus with little effort. Whether that happens is another thing entirely of course.

Everything is posture with Putin and his fragile ego.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

That's what I mean, he could be thinking that he could just absorb Belarus with little effort. Whether that happens is another thing entirely of course.

Everything is posture with Putin and his fragile ego.

Why bother when the leadership of Belarus is already an ally?

A few years back, the opposition there was stamped out, just like in Russia itself.

If Putin rocked the boat there, and re-ignited opposition, then that could have ramifications amongst other states in the fedaration.

Can't see it.

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Why bother when the leadership of Belarus is already an ally?

A few years back, the opposition there was stamped out, just like in Russia itself.

If Putin rocked the boat there, and re-ignited opposition, then that could have ramifications amongst other states in the fedaration.

Can't see it.

See the issue you have is that you think Putin a rational , I dont think he is

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

See the issue you have is that you think Putin a rational , I dont think he is

True

But, Belarus is completely in Russia’s pocket. Lukashenko is possibly more mental than Putin, so I see it as Russia in all but name really.

The fact Putin is putting nukes there potentially suggests he can just say “it’s nothing to do with me, Belarus is a sovereign state lads”

Seems desperate though.

Which is good. And very bad.

20 hours ago, gonzo said:

They have Turkeys with nukes in them?

Live ones?!

Cripey.

Some Brussels Sprouts are mini hand grenades as well I've heard. Christmas this year, you need to be careful mate. 

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, gonzo said:

They have Turkeys with nukes in them?

Live ones?!

Cripey.

The combination of "Cripes" and "Crikey" makes me suspect you watched Danger Mouse as a child.

Edited by Cheese

There was a recent article about a group of non-siloviki Russian "businessmen" and other rich Russians considering taking Putin down but worryingly their preferred replacement is 71 year old Alexander Bortnikov who is siloviki through and through having come through KGB to become head of FSB.

Sure it's theoretically possible to assassinate Putin or he may even die through natural causes like the cancer some claim he has, but dismantling the siloviki state isn't going to happen and that begs the question of whether or not Russia will ever give up on it's imperial ambitions regardless of who is the nominal head of state.

• Site Supporter

They also have underestimated just how enormous the body of water is behind the dam and have managed to flood loads of their defensive fortifications downstream.

There is also the issue upstream of the nuclear power plant that uses the river for cooling.  Hopefully that will turn out to be OK as it is running at a very low power output.

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

The Russians are wrecking Ukraine. The rebuilding job at the end of this war will be staggering. Putin should rot in hell for inflicting this on innocent civilians.

They are already tendering for the rebuild.

Where there's muck there's brass.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

They are already tendering for the rebuild.

Where there's muck there's brass.

Hopefully Russia will eventually end up paying reparations for at least 50 years.

34 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Hopefully Russia will eventually end up paying reparations for at least 50 years.

They'll have to pay them eventually......although this could easily go on for another decade or so (provided Putin lives that long)

Said it before but surely the longer supporting nations struggle the less sympathy their people will have?

Germany already into recession. There will be people there thinking get our gas back and balls to Ukraine.