Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gigs

L/H White

Not done Lytham Festival before so having a go this year. Tickets for Saturday for Madness as can’t ever lose on them at a gig as always supreme. Mrs can get pissed and screech at Rick Astley. Hotel booked for Saturday night so might have a dabble on a sober Sunday and catch James and Johnny Marr

On 22/02/2024 at 20:58, jmjhb said:

Slowdive were great yesterday at Liverpool. Proper evocative.

Funnily enough, just listening to Whitelands on Spotify, believe they supported? Did you catch them?

I’ve got

Liam Gallagher & John Squire - Apollo - March

Pastel - Band on the Wall - May

The Crooks – Night & Day – May

Stiff LIttle Fingers, The Damned & The Skids - Belfast Custom House - August

Ride - New Century - September

Also trying to fit in Jane’s Addiction, but they play in Manchester when I’m away, so might have to do Dublin or London.

Plus Buffalo Tom, either in London or Glasgow later in the year, hoping they chuck in Manchester or Leeds whilst they are here, if not, will have to travel.

Edited by Smiley

On 26/02/2024 at 10:42, Smiley said:

Funnily enough, just listening to Whitelands on Spotify, believe they supported? Did you catch them?

Yeah, I was impressed with them, had some good songs and I intend to listen to them again. I was a little disappointed that they were only on stage for less than 30 min though

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter

Been down in that London for Country2Country this weekend, quality as always but its feckin expensive down there. Won't be going next year, might try the Berlin one instead which will probably be cheaper even with flights.

Anyhow, the stand out performer and i've ordered tickets for Manchester show was Drake Milligan - a sort of country Elvis

• Moderators

Pixies tonight at Albert Hall in Manc

nice little venue to see them at

they are playing Bossanova in it's entrity, followed by Trompe Le Monde

which will probably take about an hour so presume they'll do some of their other hits too afterwards

• Moderators
On 12/03/2024 at 16:31, Not in Crawley said:

My mrs introduced me to early Simple Minds stuff and its brilliant, much better than their late-80s output. 

love this

32 minutes ago, Zico said:

love this

I'm on a vip meet and greet in Leeds tomorrow with SM.

Also watching them in Amsterdam, Munich, Alicante & Porto.

Edited by C86

On 12/03/2024 at 16:31, Not in Crawley said:

My mrs introduced me to early Simple Minds stuff and its brilliant, much better than their late-80s output. 

Definitely, I've got loads of early bootlegs, suprising how many gigs were recorded by audiences or on the sound board.

I was in Valencia in January for the Simple Minds Spanish meet up. Original base player Derek Forbes was there for a Q&A. Top bloke and spent a bit of time chatting with him about his time in SM, 78 to 85. Some of the stuff 🙄

4 minutes ago, C86 said:

Definitely, I've got loads of early bootlegs, suprising how many gigs were recorded by audiences or on the sound board.

I was in Valencia in January for the Simple Minds Spanish meet up. Original base player Derek Forbes was there for a Q&A. Top bloke and spent a bit of time chatting with him about his time in SM, 78 to 85. Some of the stuff 🙄

My mrs said they are lovely blokes - dead down to earth, she did T in the Park with them in 2012. I just always thought they were a bit naff, but I had no idea about their early post-punk stuff. No wonder they hated Don't You Forget About Me when they first heard it.

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

My mrs said they are lovely blokes - dead down to earth, she did T in the Park with them in 2012. I just always thought they were a bit naff, but I had no idea about their early post-punk stuff. No wonder they hated Don't You Forget About Me when they first heard it.

Thats a cracking set in the rain, its on YT. it was on the 5x5 tour, 5 songs from there first 5 albums. 

Derek Forbes has a book out A Very Simple Mind. He's got together with the original keyboard player Mick MacNeil and drummer Brian McGee and going to be doing some live dates with just early stuff, The Minds.