Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Food / Delivery shortages

Spider

• Site Supporter

Covid?

Brexit?

Both?

I notice it’s taken McDonald’s to run out of milkshakes for it to actually cause people to lose their shit.

I read that 14,000 EU lorry drivers left jobs in the UK since brexit, and only 600 have returned.

Covid caused loss of tests to be cancelled.

People are leaving other jobs to be paid to train as HGV drivers with £1000 signing on bonus. 

Shelves in coop have been bare for 2 months now as they're down the pecking order from the big supermarkets. 

I blame Tony blair for raising a generation of entitled uber cunts who driving a truck is beneath them... 💣

• Site Supporter

I heard that there's a 12 month waiting list (though I'm prepared to be shot down in flames) for HGV driving tests to get new drivers on the road.

And fruit and veg harvesters who had mainly been Eastern European workers on low pay have not been able to get back.

Whenever I pass through Coe Street I've noticed less ladies of the night streetwalking - probably because of the pandemic...

I'd hazard a guess that, if this is mirrored in other red light areas up and down the country, that, with less opportunity to rape and murder prostitutes, lorry drivers are retraining in other trades, such as cab driver...

What kind of adult dines at McDonald's - not least drinking milkshakes, the only adults who have a valid reason for going in McDonald's are groomers.

Milkshakegate is as shameful indictment on our society as when they reopened and m0ngs were queuing around the block and posting pictures of themselves eating their babyfood, clearly delighted, on spakcial media.

I went to our local Asda last night, there was next to fuck all "fresh" produce, the shelves looked pretty bare. As mentioned above, we have a huge shortage of HGV drivers, neither Brexit or COVID are helping at the minute. Longer term, we do need more drivers, fuck knows where we're going to get them from, as we don't want foreign types doing that sort of work.......or do we?

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

What kind of adult dines at McDonald's - not least drinking milkshakes, the only adults who have a valid reason for going in McDonald's are groomers.

Generally I'd eat a McDonalds once or twice a month when I was visiting customers - convenience and free wifi being my excuses (piss poor ones I know) - anyway, I've not had one in about 2 years now, since lockdown. I can't say I've missed it

• Site Supporter

Younguns dont want to to do any hard work any more.  They all just want to make a fortune sat about in an office.

We rattled through staff until Pablos lad started and even he burst into tears saying he cant do 3 days in a row.

6 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Generally I'd eat a McDonalds once or twice a month when I was visiting customers - convenience and free wifi being my excuses (piss poor ones I know) - anyway, I've not had one in about 2 years now, since lockdown. I can't say I've missed it

Free wifi?

I've been besmirched as a skinflint on here, I haven't used free wifi in about ten years.

You tramp.

If the blandness and shitery of their 'food' isn't bad enough, if them suffocating our precious planet isn't enough...

My nephew worked at Astley Bridge when he was 16 and needed weed money. The stories he told me about what the disgruntled yoof working there did to the food and drink - it'd make a maggot gag.

I expect this is the case at all branches.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Members
56 minutes ago, Spider said:

Covid?

Brexit?

Both?

I notice it’s taken McDonald’s to run out of milkshakes for it to actually cause people to lose their shit.

I read that 14,000 EU lorry drivers left jobs in the UK since brexit, and only 600 have returned.

Covid caused loss of tests to be cancelled.

Prostitutes will be happy. 

We need to make a business out of this 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Zico said:

our gardeners/builders tell me that in September all building supplies are going up by 14% because of brexit

dunno it true, they might just be putting their prices up

Or maybe someone blames brexit louder than someone who blames the pandemic. Folk haven’t spent money on their family holidays for 18 months (ask Traf) and in an effort to bring the holiday home they started adding good-to-have bits to their garden; covered hot-tubs, pergolas, bars, summer houses, etc.

THAT’S why the price of timber is high, because the demand is high.

A mate has an allotment and grows loads of stuff, after about three years of not knowing his arse from his elbow and growing about two spuds and a caterpillar infested cabbage.

He bought a 'canner' from America for about £100,000.50 half of which was shipping and tax.

He's got enough stuff now canned to feed the world.

I can go to Leverhulme Park or Seven Acres and bag a deer with my Glock 17 Gen 4.

Net me some carp from Braddy Lodge.

I've loads of basmati from the Ramadan discounts...

Pool our resources, we'll last at least a year before resorting to cannabalism.

I know where there's wild fruit trees and he has a 'water purifier' so we can continue our pisspottery too.

So I'm not arsed if the unprepared starve to death.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

our gardeners/builders tell me that in September all building supplies are going up by 14% because of brexit

dunno it true, they might just be putting their prices up

Don't know about September but material costs spiralling all the time. I've also been let down three times over the last week because of "haulage problems", that is no drivers to deliver my goods... fire doors, washroom fit outs etc.

On top of  this shortages keep cropping up, sealed window units, glass in general and timber, I had to drive around three timber yards to find a suitable joist to use as a ridge beam, normally it is just a phone call to the merchants. It was radiators last month and primer paints.

The radiator and fire door problems are mainly due to Brexit and the the changes in testing and certification standards causing more red tape.

And of course Covid, my cleaning contractor has nine off at the moment with either the actual illness or are in isolation.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Or maybe someone blames brexit louder than someone who blames the pandemic. Folk haven’t spent money on their family holidays for 18 months (ask Traf) and in an effort to bring the holiday home they started adding good-to-have bits to their garden; covered hot-tubs, pergolas, bars, summer houses, etc.

THAT’S why the price of timber is high, because the demand is high.

I think it has more to do with Brexit than Karen & Dave building a surround for their inflatable hottub.

Without a doubt demand has increased but supply is well down on normal levels also.

Guest Nordkurve
1 hour ago, Carlos said:

People also need to accept that you can't always go in and get a some asparagus (that has a carbon footprint of like 5kg). As shit as it sounds.

Not here. The only Carbon Footprint is my footprints to the field it is grown in to buy it from the stall :)

18 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I think it has more to do with Brexit than Karen & Dave building a surround for their inflatable hottub.

Without a doubt demand has increased but supply is well down on normal levels also.

Agreed its a combination.

Most plywood comes from Brazil and hardwoods from the Philippines and they are both well fucked. In addition I believe the Americans & Canadians are holding onto stocks.