Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Food / Delivery shortages

Spider

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Or maybe someone blames brexit louder than someone who blames the pandemic. Folk haven’t spent money on their family holidays for 18 months (ask Traf) and in an effort to bring the holiday home they started adding good-to-have bits to their garden; covered hot-tubs, pergolas, bars, summer houses, etc.

THAT’S why the price of timber is high, because the demand is high.

There are new tariffs and duties being added for importing some products, some only apply at a certain level. I don’t pretend to know all the ins and outs but I’ve experienced it myself. This is a direct result of brexit whether you like it or not. Of course, the covid pandemic and driver shortages are only adding to the problem. 

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Folk haven’t spent money on their family holidays for 18 months (ask Traf)

True fact.

Busier now, but more the enquiry/tyre kicker.

Yeah, 2 adults and 2 kids, school summer holidays, not bothered what dates, though.
Not bothered where , but must be 4-star or better / all inclusive / waterslides / kids clubs / more than 2 restaurants.

So I do the sifting, send them a shortlist and they then google it to see where they can get it £5 cheaper.

Joyus Maximus

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Zico said:

our gardeners/builders tell me that in September all building supplies are going up by 14% because of brexit

dunno it true, they might just be putting their prices up

Garden supplies have gone up for various reasons. 

UK and eu playing silly buggers over interpretation of rules is a factor, covid affecting supply when demand increased dramatically, new peat laws coming into being, and big companies buying little ones, closing plant and centralising production.

My usual supplier can't get hold of chicken manure pellets, which is a bugger as I use quite a lot and don't want to pay Garden centre prices.

40 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

There are new tariffs and duties being added for importing some products, some only apply at a certain level. I don’t pretend to know all the ins and outs but I’ve experienced it myself. This is a direct result of brexit whether you like it or not. Of course, the covid pandemic and driver shortages are only adding to the problem. 

Brexit has killed two thirds of my wife's small craft glass-making business.

She could split her turnover:

33% Europe which has now virtually gone because customers have to pay local taxes on delivery.

33% American which again, is now liable for taxes as we are no longer in Europe although they seem less stringent than Europeans... but they are holding packages in customs for up to two months, so no orders any more as customers have got fed up with the delays.

33% UK which always wants it cheapo cheapo with less profit

• Site Supporter

I was lucky enough to meet an old chap whilst on holiday. A retired lorry driver.

He was telling us about huge delays in getting drivers trained and through their tests before this came to a head.

Brexit hasn't helped in one respect, by he explained that previously, haulage companies were too happy to bring in cheap labour from abroad and not invest in drivers here.

When the current situation arose, it has bitten them in the arse.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Carlos said:

People also need to accept that you can't always go in and get a some asparagus (that has a carbon footprint of like 5kg). As shit as it sounds.

Bang on. 

Written about this on here several times.

It's where social attitudes will have to change if we want to meet targets of carbon reduction etc.

4 hours ago, barryk32 said:

Younguns dont want to to do any hard work any more.  They all just want to make a fortune sat about in an office.

We rattled through staff until Pablos lad started and even he burst into tears saying he cant do 3 days in a row.

And why wouldn't they?

Who wants to graft their bollocks off for a pittance?

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Shortage of drivers in other parts of Europe

must be down to Brexit

Aye. As usual it's all Brexit's fault.

Weird as there are huge waiting lists for vehicles from the continent- nowt to do with huge production issues and chip shortages as a result of the virus.

I've outlined a detailed description as relayed to me by a retiree from the industry, of course some rebalancing post brexit would take place, but the effect of the virus has dwarfed that and has magnified any effects.

DVLA hugely impacted together with the training and testing industry. 

Of course it's just excuses and facts aren't relevant. 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Brexit causing problems. The visionaries never mentioned empty shelves.

What are staff shortages like on the continent because of being pinged?

Non existant because they haven't got a world beating 13 billion quid track and trace system. 

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Shortage of drivers in other parts of Europe

must be down to Brexit

I thought Brexit was solving all our problems though?

In fairness, there are shortages elsewhere, but we are leading the way. So we’re winning 🇬🇧

24 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye. As usual it's all Brexit's fault... huge production issues and chip shortages as a result of the virus...Of course it's just excuses and facts aren't relevant.

That's utter bollocks, Sue's Chippy has shitloads available every dinner and teatime 'til supper and closing.

The corner shop has all manner of frozen chips and they sell Microchips.

And they sell spuds and cooking oil.

Fuck me it's not rocket science... it wasn't broke so why try to fix it?

We had trading relationships forged over 40 odd years and we have tried to re-invent them in 4 weeks. 

Of course it was going to go tits up, live with it. 

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

What are boy racers going to chuck out of their car doors now Maccies and KFC are running low?

One of my mates became a personal hero and eligible for reach-arounds when a carload of cunts tipped their bags of McDonalds rubbish out of the window of some souped up shitbox, he marched over grabbed the bags and slung them back into the car through the driver's window...

"You've just dropped something..."

They thought about getting out of the car for about one second, but thought better of it, he's a big lad...

There was half drunk milkshakes in the bags and he slung them in with some vigour so...

• Site Supporter

It's been a problem that's been a long time coming..

Used to be allowed to drive a 7.5 tonne on a normal license, now anyone under 40 has to take a test to do it, and that itself is over 2k. So people don't get into logistics, there is fewer around as it makes more sense to do a HGV. Companies would have someone driving a 7.5 and then pay for training to a HGV or Fixed. 

Long unsociable hours driving, drivers used to have a "driver mate" that's gone out of the window as costs are cut, mean that the driver then has to do work which traditionally they wouldn't. Couple that with people trying to clamber on your truck when abroad and being accountable for that.. makes it quite unappealing. 

Half the world can't drive to Bolton and back without checking their phone.. 

I've said to the missus, I'd happily do my HGV if I wasn't teaching, I quite like driving but I can't imagine it being an appealing job for many. 

Loads on social media blaming brexit, seems to be the go to blame..