Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Buying a dog

Rudy

• Members

Want another dog now. My faithful beagle passed away this year, I miss the daft sod like crazy. Still have the collie but I quite miss having two dogs (leave the jokes) around the place 

I’m all for getting a rescue dog but with the sprog our wife ain’t having it so that’s a non starter 

Ive always fancied a Rottweiler but again non bastard starter. 

The family we have got from before aren’t in the trade anymore so I really don’t know where to start looking or what to look out for

Lab

Golden retriever

Cockapoo

Labradoodle 

These are what I’m getting the ok for 

I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a rescue dog, as even pups can be mouthy or nippy but I understand the obvious caution. 

There'll be loads of great dogs around 12 months old now, who families bought for sommat daft like 3k in lockdown and no longer want.

Dogs are ace.  Let us know what you get.

• Members
4 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a rescue dog, as even pups can be mouthy or nippy but I understand the obvious caution. 

There'll be loads of great dogs around 12 months old now, who families bought for sommat daft like 3k in lockdown and no longer want.

Dogs are ace.  Let us know what you get.

Honestly I’d have one I’d have five to be fair but her family in Ireland had a bit of a ordeal with a rescue dog and she won’t budge on it at all. 

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

Border collie

That’s what I have now. He’s great but the energy on him is unreal. He’s walked twice a day and he’ll spend all day outside in the garden. Plus he’ll have a bit of a mad one which usually ends up me in a pond or stream

• Site Supporter
Just now, Rudy said:

Honestly I’d have one I’d have five to be fair but her family in Ireland had a bit of a ordeal with a rescue dog and she won’t budge on it at all. 

That’s what I have now. He’s great but the energy on him is unreal. He’s walked twice a day and he’ll spend all day outside in the garden. Plus he’ll have a bit of a mad one which usually ends up me in a pond or stream

2 entertain each other and lighten your load (I don’t mean your bawbag)

The most savage one you can source - one ready abused so you don't have to.

Perhaps a Bully Kutta?

If it's not aggressive enough just stub a few bifters out on its fur and give it a few boots.

Ingrain attack words as you do this.

Cockapoo ffs.

Are you Graham Norton?

Your dog should be a weapon.

(Meaning a vicious alliegance - not a wanker).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

There's a couple near us with a border collie.  It's a bloody machine. Non stop playing, chasing, working all day, everyday.  The owners look absolutely shattered.

My pointer's 8 now.  He can still charge around Rivvy like a good un or snooze all day just as easily.

All these labradoodles cockapoos etc are just mongrels,  cost a bomb and it's difficult to trace their ancestry to see if there's any problems in the background. 

If you're going pedigree check out assured breeders on the kennel club website.

My daughter wanted a rotweiler when she was a kid because her bigger sister had a boxer and she wanted to be different. Settled for a Min Pin which was so good we had another although we continued with boxers as our main show dogs.

• Site Supporter

Take the family down to Bolton animal sanctuary, and maybe one or two other local ones.

Lockdown and now Christmas- they're crying out for folk to have one.

They're assessed and jabbed before you get then, and you can see them and gauge a bit of their personality.

One bad experience doesn't represent the entirety of the situation. 

We got one and he was brilliant. 

Got another and we took him back after 2 days, as he needed someone around much more because of his separation anxiety. Was distressing but necessary for all, including the hound, but wouldn't stop me going to a rescue place again.

Get the family in the car under false pretences and go down. 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Got my cockapoo from a woman in Horwich near the leisure centre. They lie when they say they done molt. He wants to murder the neighbour and the postman and the bin men. But other than that he's the most loving, daftest sod I know. 

Must be the breed, Ted is a nutter, barks at everything and any rain drives him crazy..

We're in the position where the wife's illness causes an allergic reaction to dogs, but we can't remove then as a dogs for life not just Xmas etc..

Thankfully being a cockerpoo and s labradoodle, her allergies are not as bad as other breeds. She loves them to bits though 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, H said:

All these labradoodles cockapoos etc are just mongrels,  cost a bomb and it's difficult to trace their ancestry to see if there's any problems in the background. 

Sorry but simply not true,  yes  they are mongels,  but all dogs have had selective breeding. My cockerpoo has his family history going back 8 generations.  He's working stock poodle and working cocker spaniel.  Breeder has beem breeding dogs for 40 years.. 

World of difference to someone breeding their dog to another random stud dog. 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Sorry but simply not true,  yes  they are mongels,  but all dogs have had selective breeding. My cockerpoo has his family history going back 8 generations.  He's working stock poodle and working cocker spaniel.  Breeder has beem breeding dogs for 40 years.. 

Swanny knows his dogs.

FACT

40 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Want another dog now. My faithful beagle passed away this year, I miss the daft sod like crazy. Still have the collie but I quite miss having two dogs (leave the jokes) around the place 

I’m all for getting a rescue dog but with the sprog our wife ain’t having it so that’s a non starter 

Ive always fancied a Rottweiler but again non bastard starter. 

The family we have got from before aren’t in the trade anymore so I really don’t know where to start looking or what to look out for

Lab

Golden retriever

Cockapoo

Labradoodle 

These are what I’m getting the ok for 

I've always had rotties - incredible dogs when they're brought up right. 

The guy I bought our last one off is about as good as you'll ever find. He's a German fella called Kurt who looks a lot like Father Christmas and his whole life is rotties. 

His Facebook page is "Rottweiler vom Eylauer-Hof"

He's in Leigh but spends half his time in Germany. Not sure whether he'll still be able to breed and bring them over in the same way post Brexit.

All his dogs are temperament tested to three or four generations which Is never heard of before but is apparently a thing in Germany. If they show any signs of unwanted aggression or are difficult to train - he won't breed from them. Amazing guy. One of those breeders who is very much assessing whether you could properly look after one of his pups rather than being interested in grabbing your money. We had to go round to his for an hour - and then he came round to ours for an hour too before he'd sell. 

Love the guy! 

• Members
16 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

What's the point of a dog who won't be able to back you up if owt happened?

The whole reason we developed symbiosis with wolves essentially was for mutual protection and sharing of food.

And hunting.

What the fuck could a cockapoo do? Mince around on 'Rupaul's Drag Race'.

You've not met my buddy. Trained to kill he is 

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Got my cockapoo from a woman in Horwich near the leisure centre. They lie when they say they done molt. He wants to murder the neighbour and the postman and the bin men. But other than that he's the most loving, daftest sod I know. 

Our daughter has a ginger cockapoo. He's daft as a brush and the friendliest little chap I've ever known. He doesn't want to murder anybody at all.

She has asthma and he doesn't trouble in the slightest so his moulting is minimal.

20 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Obviously some have selective breeding and you seem to have been lucky. Loads of people however have just jumped on the popularity bandwagon and therein lies the problem.