Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Injuries

Ani

11 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

And we have done before, but just thrown in aren’t likely to do anything other than cause a scramble. 

2001 we beat Liverpool with a goal off a corner- but it was a ball played to Warhurst at the back post, who found Ricketts at the near post. That is a tactical set piece, likely to be based on opponents marking in previous games. Short corners work much in the same way as they either try to change the angle or create space/opportunity 

Still, as a man who knows his way around a bookies market, you’ll see the corner:goals ratio for yourself*

*excluding Phil Morris:Weavers

Correct.

I've already suggested that putting a corner into a congested box is totally at odds with how we play the rest of the game. We don't pumped crosses into the box when there's 18 men in there normally. We play across the front of the box and try to draw the defence out to then get in behind. 

Perhaps we shouldn't put anyone in the box, play a short corner and revert to our normal game.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Traf said:

Correct.

I've already suggested that putting a corner into a congested box is totally at odds with how we play the rest of the game. We don't pumped crosses into the box when there's 18 men in there normally. We play across the front of the box and try to draw the defence out to then get in behind. 

Perhaps we shouldn't put anyone in the box, play a short corner and revert to our normal game.

It's weird, we bagged 2 in the pizza cup final from corners played straight in!

Not sure how many we've got in the whole of this season!

12 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's weird, we bagged 2 in the pizza cup final from corners played straight in!

Not sure how many we've got in the whole of this season!

even a blind squirrel finds a nut

12 hours ago, Zico said:

Excellent 

No more excuses or self pity 

Up and at em

He was asked about a squad headache, to which he replied "I've moaned about injuries for the last 3 months, so I can't moan about having them all back now!"

35 minutes ago, boltonboris said:

He was asked about a squad headache, to which he replied "I've moaned about injuries for the last 3 months, so I can't moan about having them all back now!"

He'll find something else to moan about instead.

• Members
1 hour ago, embankment said:

Santos didn't do a full session this morning. 

Let's hope it's just a precaution 

I'm not worried. We've shown we can get results without him.

I think we're too often overly reliant on him.

47 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I'm not worried. We've shown we can get results without him.

I think we're too often overly reliant on him.

We've never shown we can beat top of table have we?  I'm not checking, but I don't remember the last one.  We haven't had any "big" league wins with Santos, without Santos, with Charles, without Charles.  Hence we aren't currently in the top 2 because our results against everyone else have been generally great.

So whether Santos plays or not isn't a deciding factor, we need to improve with or without him.  We could have any of the squad in defence, anyone in midfield and the worst referee of the season, we just have to do something we haven't done and get a massive performance and maybe a bit of luck and do it.  If we as a club/fans aren't up for this one we never will be.  Bring it on.