Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Prepaid Travel Cards

Nowack

Just now, mickbrown said:

Didn't have a choice 

Maybe it’s just for the older account holders. One day, not long off now, you’ll have the choice. Nothing better than walking into some far off land and flashing the colours when making a purchase. 😉

9 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Maybe it’s just for the older account holders. One day, not long off now, you’ll have the choice. Nothing better than walking into some far off land and flashing the colours when making a purchase. 😉

Can't wait.😊

14 minutes ago, Traf said:

Mine is the white one with a poppy on.

I might see if I can get Churchill in the cockpit of a  Spitfire/Hurricane/ME 109/Fokker hybrid on mine.

Show those Spaniards that they're dealing with the bulldog breed

• 1 month later...

Got a Currensea card before we went away a couple of weeks ago. Works a treat, it's a Mastercard and can be linked with your bank so doesn't need loading with money. Can be used as Contactless or/and chip and PIN, controllable by app and the daily spend limit can be adjusted between £0 and £5000, also you can change your li key bank card. Pay in euros and the transaction fee on the free, basic card is 0.5%, the exchange rate is the current live rate. A £25 annual gets you the live rate and and no commission, very happy with the way it worked out.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, tkonion said:

Got a Currensea card before we went away a couple of weeks ago. Works a treat, it's a Mastercard and can be linked with your bank so doesn't need loading with money. Can be used as Contactless or/and chip and PIN, controllable by app and the daily spend limit can be adjusted between £0 and £5000, also you can change your li key bank card. Pay in euros and the transaction fee on the free, basic card is 0.5%, the exchange rate is the current live rate. A £25 annual gets you the live rate and and no commission, very happy with the way it worked out.

Am I being thick, or what is the benefit over using my own bankcard ?

I'm going to Spain middle of October. Am I missing a trick?

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Other than preferential exchange rates & no fees, nothing.

Yes, but how preferential?  Is it worth the effort for a lazy sod. I get paid three pensions while I'm away for two weeks. How much could I be I saving on paying by Currensea over my RBS paupers basic account card.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Am I being thick, or what is the benefit over using my own bankcard ?

I'm going to Spain middle of October. Am I missing a trick?

Check with your bank if using your card is going to attract a fee for each single use.

6 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Yes, but how preferential?  Is it worth the effort for a lazy sod. I get paid three pensions while I'm away for two weeks. How much could I be I saving on paying by Currensea over my RBS paupers basic account card.

According to the RBS website the non-sterling transaction fee is 2.7% on the basic card, this applies to cash withdrawals and card purchases. They'll no doubt give you a poor exchange rate also.

Compared to 0.5% transaction fee and the live rate for the free version of the Currensea card and you could make significant savings. 

11 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I like it for the added plus of putting just my spends on it then I can go about as I please and also offers that little bit more protection if I get rinsed while abroad that it’s just my beer tokens and not bank account getting wiped out. Revolut or which ever one is also useful for sending money out and about.

• Site Supporter

I’d still suggest the Starling Bank card. It took about 10 minutes to sign up. An app on your smartphone allows you to pay for stuff. If you want a card it takes less than a week to get one delivered. 
£300/day atm withdrawal without fees.

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I’d still suggest the Starling Bank card. It took about 10 minutes to sign up. An app on your smartphone allows you to pay for stuff. If you want a card it takes less than a week to get one delivered. 
£300/day atm withdrawal without fees.

I have Revolut and Starling, both do the job perfectly well at near enough bank rate with no transaction fees.

I also have a Starling Business Account.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not so thinly veiled ... I got a Currensea card last week. I'm spending it in Lanzarote now at a rate of 1.14.  This is a better rate than my missus got, who gets staff rate at a travel agent.

Anyone who buys currency from a travel agent is a mug. The world has moved on.