Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Forest Green Rovers (A)

Leyther_Matt

• Site Supporter

We need a plan B against these times that just want to play narrow.

Evatt has shown himself a quick learner, so you’d have to assume that if we can see it, he certainly will.

But the players need to step up too. There’s always way too much emphasis on the manager at times like these; the players need to accept the blame too.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Seriously questioning after this week if IE has ran his course

constant changing around the guy doesn’t know his best side, baffling line ups he seems to be trying to please and yet again same time of the year 

Surely it's the lack of changes that's concerning? What has he changed around in our last 5 games?

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

We need a plan B against these times that just want to play narrow.

Evatt has shown himself a quick learner, so you’d have to assume that if we can see it, he certainly will.

But the players need to step up too. There’s always way too much emphasis on the manager at times like these; the players need to accept the blame too.

You say quick learner

however it’s the same shitty games we’re dropping points every season

Just now, radcliffe white said:

constant changing around the guy doesn’t know his best side, baffling line ups he seems to be trying to please and yet again same time of the year 

I wouldn’t say that one of the reasons he doesn’t no is best team is because we have far more options than before and no one out injured so he is trying to shuffle a bit . Would of thought he as probably learnt a bit more about them this week . 

6 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Plenty of time. Still 6th

Aye & these shite teams have us well & truly sussed.

Problem is we don’t seem able to overcome this , we never look likely to score from a corner either .All our good teams of the past could mix it a bit when the going got tough but somehow that component is missing in this team which is down to the manager & his training & tactics.

Learning curve is wearing a bit thin.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, paulhanley said:

Such optimism this time last week but it was all built on home results. We've learned a lot this week and not good things.

That's now six away games, we've scored three goals in those and two of them were penalties. Five points in six away games. 

Yes, I agree. Without being over dramatic and hysterical, we’ve had a reality check this week. 

I’ll currently have to reassess my expectations. Up until the Cheltenham game I still genuinely thought we could keep in touch with the top 2. 

But at the moment there’s too many inconsistencies and worrying trends to think along those lines; away form, lack of goals, lost confidence in possession, opening 45 mins in games where we look toothless,  missing good chances.

But let’s not overreact - we can and should be able to arrest this mini-slump

If our sights are on top 6 then, despite a horrible week, we are there or thereabouts. 

Surely there won’t be many halfs of football where we have so many good chances and don’t score.

I thought John looked good going forward.

Our defeats have been by 1. We created chances in that 2nd half without really giving FG a sniff, so we still have a pretty solid base to build from.

Lets get back home and get ourselves back on track, which I believe we will against Barnsley. 

Had a very good start considering our early run in against some of the better teams but these past two away teams against some of the poorer sides in the league who've been battered at their place a good few times this season has been shambolic. You lose time to time, have a bad spell but the lack of threat to us away is criminal... some of the most boring football I've seen in the past two games literally painful to watch. We've witnessed bad spells Oct/Nov/Dec past two seasons which looks to be on the cards again especially with visits to these type of stadiums we usually struggle on under Evatt... we're good at home clearly. We can play our football at home but we need another way of playing away to be a threat as we've literally scored 0 goals from open play away if I'm not mistaken. Good opportunity to change it up at HT yet we waited too long yet again to persist with something  clearly not working. Somehow we're still in the top 6 though.

Just now, radcliffe white said:

And why I’m in a shitter

What an absolute amateur set up here just another non league set up style club

One of the problems is we can all except loosing to the likes of Ipswich ect because you can always say they are a better team but loosing to the likes of forest green and Cheltenham with smaller resources is bollocks  we can’t even blame the pitch and conditions like burton last season. It’s a lack of effort by the players for me . The manger also as to take the blame also sets the side up 

It’s a puzzle why are we so shit from corners? This is going the same way as last season poor run up until Xmas then we may then go on a run but will come up short! IE needs to sort it as away from home we are too easy to play against let us have the ball in our own half then get in shape and defend!

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

And why I’m in a shitter

What an absolute amateur set up here just another non league set up style club

Was this brought to us by a reasonably strong bitter? 🤣

For me, I don't mind having two defensive midfielders, but we need more from the wing backs in an attacking sense.

Bradley is good, but he's still young and a bit of filling out still needed- he does get knocked off the ball at times, and is better when we move the ball quicker.

I like Iredale for his defensive qualities, and he plays simple pass and move football. However, he's not going to go past defenders regularly. 

As a result, we do struggle for creativity out wide, and we don't put in a lot of early crosses for strikers. Hence we end up getting stuck, particularly on narrow pitches.

No problem with trying a 4-3-3 system again- we've had success with it previously, and with 2 defensive midfielders in there, I'd be more confident of protecting overlapping full backs. 

Ultimately though, it boils down to the fact that we're not yet good enough to achieve the main aim of promotion. Whatever the reasons.

46 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

Dion has had three easy chances today and not taken any. When was the last time he scored from open play. 

Last game last season v Fleetwood.  The lack of shots on target and/or goals by strikers this season has gone beyond a poor spell, its plain wierd.  Its not like we're bottom of the league or out of our depth but the forwards that were scoring last season are either not picked at all or impotent, barring JDBs finish v Lincoln.

Pissed off with our selections revolving around this high press low block bollocks these modern day managers go on about too 

like they’ve unravelled an element of the game akin to the fucking Da Vinci code 

get your 2 best strikers at the top end. Work the ball in to areas where you can deliver it early and well. Games fucking done