Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby a

radcliffe white

• Site Supporter

I wouldn’t say we particularly need physical players because Derby showed yesterday you can be one of the best sides in the division without being physical.

We have a lot of young lads who perhaps need a bit more experience of getting out of this division around them. We needed to press Derby like they were pressing us. We needed to move the ball much more quickly.

Warne teams hit the wings quickly then send early crosses in with defenders facing their own goal. It works and is really something we need to learn from.

1st half in particular, we shit our pants about being on the same pitch as them.

Cant win them all, we simply aren’t as good as Derby though, no shame in that. Fans were class, if only we could win us some points for noise.

Credit where it’s due to the ref too, thought he had a good game, let it flow as much as possible. They come in for stick regularly and usually deserved but he was good.

Que sera sera 

23 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

We’re the 5th or 6th best team in this league. We need 2 or ideally all 3 from sheff weds Ipswich and prob derby to get promotion this season to give it a proper crack next year. Simple as that 

Ian Greaves, Bruce Rioch and Sam Allardyce achieved success for Bolton against some clubs with larger budgets.For Evatt to become as good as some think he is, at some point so will he

11 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Warne teams hit the wings quickly then send early crosses in with defenders facing their own goal. It works and is really something we need to learn from.

Said exactly the same yesterday. We got rolled over once at Rotherham cos alls they did was hit the wings and whipped the ball in that’s why that Smith fella got so many goals for them

ultimately we got outdone yesterday by 2 switches of play and that’s the risk you take when you have 2 progressive wing backs. Better teams and players exploit it and we just fell right in to the trap of what they want to do

Derby like Rotherham did under Warne, just do the basics right, defend properly, no fannying about with Barca style build from back, put the balls into dangerous areas quickly and tests teams in danger areas, no surprise most league 1 teams can’t cope with it, we were another who failed miserably, must say if Stoke were watching Johnstone yesterday they’ll be no bid coming in.. if we’re looking for a proper CF on the cheap could do worse than look at Connor Wickham. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I've noticed in the big games with the fine margins where we come short, Derby for example average age of their xi was 29.5, Sheff Weds 30, ours just 25. 

We've got a very young team and those 4 years difference in age can have much more experience.

I like our exciting young players, but we are missing some experience heads in the big matches, maybe another Kieran Lee type if we can find 

40 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I wouldn’t say we particularly need physical players because Derby showed yesterday you can be one of the best sides in the division without being physical.

We have a lot of young lads who perhaps need a bit more experience of getting out of this division around them. We needed to press Derby like they were pressing us. We needed to move the ball much more quickly.

1st half in particular, we shit our pants about being on the same pitch as them.

Cant win them all, we simply aren’t as good as Derby though, no shame in that. Fans were class, if only we could win us some points for noise.

Credit where it’s due to the ref too, thought he had a good game, let it flow as much as possible. They come in for stick regularly and usually deserved but he was good.

Que sera sera 

Maybe not overly physical like some teams, but they still had a physical spine of the team - McGoldrick being the obvious difference, most things stuck and he moved them up the pitch, whereas not much stuck for us when we went in the air (although I do like the look of new Dan, he’s very tidy with his feet - just not a hold it up target man).

On a related note - it will be interesting to see if this is the reason that Evatt chooses to bring Santos back. Aimson will obviously be the one to drop out, and I’d imagine it would piss him off no end if he loses his place after one loss (in which he didn’t do much wrong) but Santos is Evatt’s club captain and you get the feeling that it won’t take much for him to find a reason to get him back in.

I reckon we’re 2 signings for the first 11 away from looking like we can actually be promoted, rather than maybe just sneak the play offs. Big solid midfielder and a proper target man forward who can get us up the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

I've noticed in the big games with the fine margins where we come short, Derby for example average age of their xi was 29.5, Sheff Weds 30, ours just 25. 

We've got a very young team and those 4 years difference in age can have much more experience.

I like our exciting young players, but we are missing some experience heads in the big matches, maybe another Kieran Lee type if we can find 

I don’t buy into that. Sure Arsenal have the youngest team in prem. 

Just now, tomski said:

I think Aimson would have every right to be pissed off if dropped. Deserves to start Tuesday for me.

I agree for what it’s worth, I just think it will be interesting to see how long Evatt waits and what will be the reason for bringing Santos back in - because he will.

One other thing from my first post, Williams had better just be getting up to speed (and still be miles off based on what he’s shown so far) - otherwise he is a serious weak link and we’ll be constantly be targeted down that side. Fuck knows what the scouts have seen based on his 3 games so far (and whoever told Evatt he’s lightning fast has completely had him on).

Exeter have been in for Aimson and he’s made it abundantly clear he’s not arsed who or where the club is he just wants to play and if he’s bombed out the next couple of weeks when his performances have been good he wants gone. 

so expect him to play until the window shuts then Santos be back in 🤣

2 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Exeter have been in for Aimson and he’s made it abundantly clear he’s not arsed who or where the club is he just wants to play and if he’s bombed out the next couple of weeks when his performances have been good he wants gone. 

so expect him to play until the window shuts then Santos be back in 🤣

If that’s the case that’s exactly how I’d expect it to play out.

• Site Supporter

I’ve been quite happy with Williams in his home games. Granted Pompey we’re poor but thought he did ok against Plymouth too.

Granted he was poor yesterday but let’s see where he’s at in 5 games time.

Toal looked poor in his first couple of games.

Shola gave the ball away for their 2nd yesterday but he’s not been pillared.

Not happy clapping but give the new lads time

I think as a squad we’re just a little naive and fresh round the ears and that’s just they way the club are building. Potential to improve but very much learn on the job. You look at the Ipswich - Keogh & Morsy, Sheff Weds - Gregory & Bannan, Derby - Davis, Hourihane & McGoldrick, they’re just examples I’m sure there’s more but they have old pro’s who know the game. Been there and done it types. There’s an argument there’s no longevity in that approach but it works in the shorter term. We had similar the last time in this league.. 

4 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I’ve been quite happy with Williams in his home games. Granted Pompey we’re poor but thought he did ok against Plymouth too.

Granted he was poor yesterday but let’s see where he’s at in 5 games time.

Toal looked poor in his first couple of games.

Shola gave the ball away for their 2nd yesterday but he’s not been pillared.

Not happy clapping but give the new lads time

Yeah absolutely mate

just an observation that’s all, no real competition for that role so he should get a good run 

Was not really surprised by the result yesterday - disappointed with the manner of our defeat yes

Don't think we will have a tougher game until the play offs

Would expect a couple more "off" performances in the coming weeks - and i think its very much down to the way Evatt sets his team/ squad up to play  

With 2 outgoing and the injury to Bodvarrson and 3 incomings so far and maybe a couple more to come i just think its inevitable our performances take a dip until he works out the correct blend to play the way he wants his teams set up and the incoming players learn whats expected of them

Therein lies the crux of the issue i have with Evatt and I have made comparisons between him and Phil Neal in the past. I think both have failed to get the best out of the squads they have had at their disposal. 

At this level its not about trying to outthink your opponents - the teams that are successful outfight them - and that is what we lack and that is where our promotion rivals have the advantage over us - and that is why i am fearful for our chances in the play offs - assuming we reach them. 

9 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Arsenal have premier league players that will have been playing at premier league/top European league set ups since they were 16/17. 

I don't think we can compare our team to Arsenal.

Fair point but I think the age argument has a degree of relevance. 

1 hour ago, tomski said:

I think Aimson would have every right to be pissed off if dropped. Deserves to start Tuesday for me.

I would keep the same back three Tuesday. Santos takes too much time fucking about with it and we need to get the ball up as much as possible and crunch these carrot gets

12 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We did beat Barnsley a couple of weeks ago. Granted, Barnsley aren't at the level of the very best but I didn't expect us to before kick-off.

It depends exactly what hou mean by backs to the wall but the last "big" fixture we won away from home against a promotion rival was when we beat Morecambe the season we got promoted.

It was more the ability to defend with backs to the wall, and get an "undeserved" win, rather than necessarily who it was against, although it feels better in those 6 pointers.  Morecambe was arguably the most important win we've had in the last few years - fantastic - but its hard to use that as an example when 70 minutes was against 10 men, and same at Barnsley.

Its not a criticism BTW, its an observation that I'd love us to snatch an undeserved win occasionally, instead of being on the end of it.