Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bristol Rovers 1 Wanderers 2

captainmed

• Members

Went eastville couple of times the flyover right behind the away end glorified dog track was there that night(think it was night when we broke our away day hoodoo) was it Chandler who scored and what was the year? They were passionate fans back then for sure.

Ever read Bovver by Chris Brown? As always, these things heavily weighted one way but of all of the myriad of literary trash associated with the subject, I quite enjoyed that one as, other than the descriptions of the Tote Ends absolute invincibility (which we Boltoners know for a fact was not true), captured the zeitgeist and all that.

I particularly enjoyed the lads musical obsessions and reminders of some brilliant tracks which broke the God awful hold of such utter shite as Abba, Boney M etc. Very fond memories of the following:-

Meant to add - if we win this one, cautious optimism will be replaced with a level of giddiness.

Edited by bolty58

Ever read Bovver by Chris Brown? As always, these things heavily weighted one way but of all of the myriad of literary trash associated with the subject, I quite enjoyed that one as, other than the descriptions of the Tote Ends absolute invincibility (which we Boltoners know for a fact was not true), captured the zeitgeist and all that.

I particularly enjoyed the lads musical obsessions and reminders of some brilliant tracks which broke the God awful hold of such utter shite as Abba, Boney M etc. Very fond memories of the following:-

Yes read that book it was more than a Hoolie book dealt with music and fashion of the day it was just before my era so really I enjoyed it, back then they were top dogs in Bristol must be hard for them now there not.

• Members

Th'owd brain getting a bit addled. It wasn't Abba and Boney M - that shite came later.  It was more Christie, Elvis, Simon & Garfunkel, Lee Marvin etc.

I just remember that a night at the Palais was a blessed relief from a lot of the turgid dross radio stations were pumping out.

Well remembered TK forgot totally you were with me, can you remember who else went with us? I haven't a clue. Fuckin hell we were 21 and think I've seen you about twice since.

Me,you,Big Paul,Dave Roberts, and the bloke who used to collect the insurance money from Paul's house I think, can't remember his name, but he hired the car we went in. It was pissing down and you went in the stands I recall, us terrace people where dodging bricks on the way out.....

• Members

PAY ON THE DAY: Supporters will be able to pay on the turnstiles for Wanderers' trip to Bristol Rovers on Wednesday.

Available in the terrace area of the ground only, there will be cash turnstiles in place at the Memorial Stadium with a £2 price increase on the day.

Yes read that book it was more than a Hoolie book dealt with music and fashion of the day it was just before my era so really I enjoyed it, back then they were top dogs in Bristol must be hard for them now there not.

Bristol Rovers got quite a pasting at Burnden one year. Word reached town that a couple of coachloads of Bristol fans were bullying people outside the ground, so everyone shot down to Burnden & the Bristol lot quickly scuttled into the Embankment. This wasn't a great move because Bolton followed them in & splattered them with the police still outside. Their main man was a black guy & as soon as the police turned up they promptly arrested him , at which point the rest of them lost their nerve, ran, jumped over the turnstiles back out of the ground , never to be seen again.........all before the match had even kicked off.

One odd thing....outside, after the game, the police released the black Bristol fan out of the van just as the Bolton lads were passing.....whether to get him a kicking or set us up for arrests I don't know, but he was left alone &  allowed to run back to his coach.

Bristol Rovers got quite a pasting at Burnden one year. Word reached town that a couple of coachloads of Bristol fans were bullying people outside the ground, so everyone shot down to Burnden & the Bristol lot quickly scuttled into the Embankment. This wasn't a great move because Bolton followed them in & splattered them with the police still outside. Their main man was a black guy & as soon as the police turned up they promptly arrested him , at which point the rest of them lost their nerve, ran, jumped over the turnstiles back out of the ground , never to be seen again.........all before the match had even kicked off.

One odd thing....outside, after the game, the police released the black Bristol fan out of the van just as the Bolton lads were passing.....whether to get him a kicking or set us up for arrests I don't know, but he was left alone &  allowed to run back to his coach.

That was the 5-1 game, a mate was late getting in the ground and he passed a mob of gasheads running towards Bolton town centre.

Me,you,Big Paul,Dave Roberts, and the bloke who used to collect the insurance money from Paul's house I think, can't remember his name, but he hired the car we went in. It was pissing down and you went in the stands I recall, us terrace people where dodging bricks on the way out.....

Ha ha I remember the insurance guy he was top fella used to drink 7-8 pints then drive us to the match funny enough remember his name was called Malcolm not a clue how he got to know us or where he disappeared to never seen him for 30 years, still see big Paul now and again but not Dave Roberts.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Went eastville couple of times the flyover right behind the away end glorified dog track was there that night(think it was night when we broke our away day hoodoo) was it Chandler who scored and what was the year? They were passionate fans back then for sure.

Think I was at that game, 2-2?

Eastville one of the few grounds you could watch the match whilst having a piss at the same time, due to slots in the bog walls at eye height.

Mind you at Bloomfield Road one game 76 ish, hot day, loads from Bolton, this bloke dressed in a Gorilla suit got his cock out and released this emormous ale-fuelled piss stream right down the terracing, never seen a space cleared so quickly....

Was it anyone on here I wonder? Game finished 1-1

How come I can remember all this when I can't remmeber what I did this morning?

• Site Supporter

Think I was at that game, 2-2?

Eastville one of the few grounds you could watch the match whilst having a piss at the same time, due to slots in the bog walls at eye height.

Mind you at Bloomfield Road one game 76 ish, hot day, loads from Bolton, this bloke dressed in a Gorilla suit got his cock out and released this emormous ale-fuelled piss stream right down the terracing, never seen a space cleared so quickly....

Was it anyone on here I wonder? Game finished 1-1

How come I can remember all this when I can't remmeber what I did this morning?

You'll fit right in.

I can remember us beating Newport County 6-0 in alarming detail, yet I forgot to put the bins out yesterday.

You'll fit right in.

I can remember us beating Newport County 6-0 in alarming detail, yet I forgot to put the bins out yesterday.

Your bins; large or small?