Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bristol Rovers (A)

Leyther_Matt

• The topic was unpinned
17 hours ago, SnoopJohnnyJohn said:

44 games...

14 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

We don't play them at home and we don't play them away

Yep you're both correct it is 44 games as you say, it had been a long day. However everybody else will play 44 games also so 3 games in hand is still 3 games in hand.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, tkonion said:

Yep you're both correct it is 44 games as you say, it had been a long day. However everybody else will play 44 games also so 3 games in hand is still 3 games in hand.

But as one of those games will be a void for everyone in the league, it is only that we were supposed to play Bury early that makes it "in hand" on all other teams. By the turn-around all other teams will have caught up on that one game so the game can't be viewed as a three, one or zero pointer.

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

But as one of those games will be a void for everyone in the league, it is only that we were supposed to play Bury early that makes it "in hand" on all other teams. By the turn-around all other teams will have caught up on that one game so the game can't be viewed as a three, one or zero pointer.

Games in hand never can be viewed in terms of points but a game in hand is a game in hand. The fact that some other teams will have a week off when we don't is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Games in hand never can be viewed in terms of points but a game in hand is a game in hand. The fact that some other teams will have a week off when we don't is irrelevant. 

Fuck you and your logic based, fancy, book learning bollocks .

6 minutes ago, waddy256 said:

Fuck you and your logic based, fancy, book learning bollocks .

Indeed. My fancy Halliwell upbringing taught me that 44 minus 12 is greater than 44 minus 15. I believe that everyone should benefit from the standards of education available in Halliwell and Astley Bridge from the mid eighties to the late nineties. 

1 minute ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Indeed. My fancy Halliwell upbringing taught me that 44 minus 12 is greater than 44 minus 15. I believe that everyone should benefit from the standards of education available in Halliwell and Astley Bridge from the mid eighties to the late nineties. 

Luxary , I still have a bit o  string on me finger so I knows me rite from leff

6 hours ago, waddy256 said:

Luxary , I still have a bit o  string on me finger so I knows me rite from leff

That’s so Victorian, I’ve drilled a hole in the toe of all my right shoes - hasn’t let me down yet.

..and before anyone tries to be clever I’ve also drilled a hole in my right toenail for when I have no shoes on.

Top Tips!

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Isn’t one of our games in hand the cancelled Doncaster game that’s likely to be awarded to them? 

I can’t see them allowing us to replay it now we are in much better shape 

When on earth will we find out the points deduction for that? 

A 3 point deduction would ensure that we don't gain from the postponement. Handing Doncaster the points is inappropriate. Brentford did not set a precedent for this as that was end of season and, fortuitously, had no impact on their league position.

2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Isn’t one of our games in hand the cancelled Doncaster game that’s likely to be awarded to them? 

Probably at the point we get into positive points.

3 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

I have a memory like a sieve, but was it just injuries (and the fact that we were playing kids twice a week) that caused us to cancel the game?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the administrators must have known we’d end up with a points deduction if we refused to play. Losing 10-0 wouldn’t have been good for confidence, but it would have been better in the long run.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

I have a memory like a sieve, but was it just injuries (and the fact that we were playing kids twice a week) that caused us to cancel the game?

that was the story the club put out

im saying no more  :)

Why it was missed is broadly irrelevant now I guess 

Question is, what’s happening with that game? 

If it was to be replayed then why has that not been arranged already, at least a date in the fixtures calendar. If it does get replayed and we win, its not going to go down well with Donny, they could have had a nice easy 5-0. I can’t see the EFL not giving it to Donny all things considered 

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

If it was to be replayed then why has that not been arranged already, at least a date in the fixtures calendar. If it does get replayed and we win, its not going to go down well with Donny, they could have had a nice easy 5-0. I can’t see the EFL not giving it to Donny all things considered 

Are we giving a 5-0 win to Coventry too? Donny will get fuck all unless they beat/draw with us. It’s us who will get points deducted

Wasnt there some FA directive about protecting under 18 players from being "worked too hard" or something ? I think we have a fair case for calling the game off.

However because of the Blackburn vs middlesboro game eons ago precedence, when boro called a game off at the 11th hour cos of measles or something and were deducted points that led to relegation , where as playing the game with the under 11's and losing 20-0 would have kept them up , are we all panicking unduly ? (feel free to correct me Malc)

15 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Think they'll hang on with rearranging Donny (and Burton) until we know about the FA Cup weekends - if we're both knocked out then it makes sense to rearrange one of them to take place on a Saturday.