Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

David Lee

barryk32

Folk on twitter going on as if weve been churning out wonder kids and selling for millions ffs.

Its a completely failed concept and financial monkey on our back.

Spending time and money nursing and coaching kids for em to end up playing semi pro.

We received actual cash for about 3 players in the past decade. The 100's of others have been released.

For the return it must be the maddest investment going. 

How many of that youth league winning team are still with us?

6 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Lee had the academy players playing some decent football, and that was in the Parky era, seems a strange decision considering Evatts football philosophy, a coach who probably believes in the same way of how the game should be played, he's crying out for a coach, we have one, why not use him ?

Some on here don't seem to like him, not sure why, past behaviour ? wanting the job himself ?... and all during a shit period for our club and an influx of crap managers, yet Lee has remained pretty loyal, seems a proper decent bloke and has shown some ambition in wanting to be the manager, it doesn't warrant a reaction of good riddance and fuck off, imo anyway.

Well said, every word 👏

• Members
33 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Folk on twitter going on as if weve been churning out wonder kids and selling for millions ffs.

Its a completely failed concept and financial monkey on our back.

Spending time and money nursing and coaching kids for em to end up playing semi pro.

We received actual cash for about 3 players in the past decade. The 100's of others have been released.

For the return it must be the maddest investment going. 

How many of that youth league winning team are still with us?

You’re right. 
It’s not for now it’s for down the line. We either sell on for profit or make good enough players to make the first team 

14 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Well said, every word 👏

Agree it wasn’t long ago weren’t they rated the best academy after Chelsea ? And a cup semi or quarter final when they played Forest . 
it’s probably to expensive for the club to run now but they have probably done a good job in the circumstances with no money and a shit load of other clubs on our door step . Good luck to Lee in the future we’re ever he ends up 

3 hours ago, Steejay said:

Er, one of the main shareholders who helped prevent the club from being liquidated???

I wasnt clear, I meant aside from 'owners/shareholders'.  I know we are in good hands, no problem with who's running the club from a commitment point of view.  I was thinking of footballing staff, not only in terms of coaches etc but the fact that we don't have any players that we identify with currently, it all feels very temporary, and I'm not sure the players "get" what we're about yet.

3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

There's 4 at Prem clubs which aint a bad return really.

Name another 4th division club with 4 of their ex academy lads in the prem.

I was thinking the same.  Add to them the likes of Darcy, Politic, Connell, Riley, Clough, Pritchard, Brockbank who will all make it at EFL standard clubs - is that not enough to justify an academy? (apologies if any of those arent from academy, some may have come from other clubs initially?).

8 hours ago, burnden said:

Just picked this up.

Fucking disgrace, these were the remaining guys who know how this club ticks  and what the football supporters expect.

We are losing our glue, our tradition, our hard won experience, expect more soul-less power-point/email focussed management in the future.

We will only reap what we sow, these blokes were our insurance for the future.

3 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Just picked this up.

Fucking disgrace, these were the remaining guys who know how this club ticks  and what the football supporters expect.

We are losing our glue, our tradition, our hard won experience, expect more soul-less power-point/email focussed management in the future.

They were also employed to coach an Under 23 team that no longer exists. Chuck in all the sentiment you want, but the club isn’t a charity, at this time more than any other.  

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They were also employed to coach an Under 23 team that no longer exists. Chuck in all the sentiment you want, but the club isn’t a charity, at this time more than any other.  

Nothing to do with charity, more about culture, these guys were the guardians.

Without that BWFC are just another L2/National League Club like the Barrows and Cheltenhams of the world.

Going to sign off and fume now, I am that upset. I'll log in and watch the Big E get stuffed at home by the O tomorrow. That is our future.

53 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Agree it wasn’t long ago weren’t they rated the best academy after Chelsea ? And a cup semi or quarter final when they played Forest . 
it’s probably to expensive for the club to run now but they have probably done a good job in the circumstances with no money and a shit load of other clubs on our door step . Good luck to Lee in the future we’re ever he ends up 

They made it to two youth cup quarter finals the other defeat was at Anfield, the highlight was putting 8 past Tottenham.Zac Clough was coming through at the time but the attacking star of the team was Aaron Mooy who went on to make 100 Premier League appearances but none for Bolton.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Just picked this up.

What a load of bollocks that is.

Are these guys good at their job or just trundling along earning a butty.

There won’t be a queue of clubs waiting to employ them.

Decent employees but thank you, you’ve been well paid, and we’re going in a different direction.

52 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Nothing to do with charity, more about culture, these guys were the guardians.

Without that BWFC are just another L2/National League Club like the Barrows and Cheltenhams of the world.

Going to sign off and fume now, I am that upset. I'll log in and watch the Big E get stuffed at home by the O tomorrow. That is our future.

Their jobs literally don’t exist any more. What else did you expect to happen?

If they want to keep their hand in then I’m sure the community trust will be glad to make use of their services, or they could join SJM as club ambassadors. 

Calmed down a bit now but I feel I have  been sacked along with Lee, Spooner and McGann.

The player-fan bond in those days was so close, I don't think I have ever met these particular lads but I feel we are all part of the family of BWFC. How many of Sam's world cup heroes have stuck around? How many of the dross since have stuck around? None.

I can foresee the Monday morning when the Chairman has no one to step in when we have sacked another master tactician who was going to change the world, no more Jimmy Phillips to ask "would you mind managing the first team squad for a while..."

My link to BWFC was strained when we moved grounds and then further removed after my old Mum died and I lost my motivation to visit the town

Back to my first sentence, I now feel more isolated. To me Football is about your roots and a viable business plan should take this into account and utilise the history and tradition to it's advantage. At the moment I am feeling more disassociated with BWFC than ever.

8 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Calmed down a bit now but I feel I have  been sacked along with Lee, Spooner and McGann.

The player-fan bond in those days was so close, I don't think I have ever met these particular lads but I feel we are all part of the family of BWFC. How many of Sam's world cup heroes have stuck around? How many of the dross since have stuck around? None.

I can foresee the Monday morning when the Chairman has no one to step in when we have sacked another master tactician who was going to change the world, no more Jimmy Phillips to ask "would you mind managing the first team squad for a while..."

My link to BWFC was strained when we moved grounds and then further removed after my old Mum died and I lost my motivation to visit the town

Back to my first sentence, I now feel more isolated. To me Football is about your roots and a viable business plan should take this into account and utilise the history and tradition to it's advantage. At the moment I am feeling more disassociated with BWFC than ever.

Give it a rest for Gods sake -

18 minutes ago, Dimron said:

No player (or U23 coach) is bigger than the club. Nicky Spooner played less games for Bolton than Ali Crawford. A whole 9 games more than Hasney Aljofree.

Stelios, Holden and Campo seem to have retained more than passing interest FWIW.

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

No player (or U23 coach) is bigger than the club. Nicky Spooner played less games for Bolton than Ali Crawford. A whole 9 games more than Hasney Aljofree.

Stelios, Holden and Campo seem to have retained more than passing interest FWIW.

And McCann played less than 100 games 

3 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

They made it to two youth cup quarter finals the other defeat was at Anfield, the highlight was putting 8 past Tottenham.Zac Clough was coming through at the time but the attacking star of the team was Aaron Mooy who went on to make 100 Premier League appearances but none for Bolton.

Mooy left us in 2010 as a 20-year-old after rejecting a contract offer. We beat Spurs 8-4 in 2013.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Farnywhite said:

Forest was last 16 and I went to the game. 2009 it was.

The team from that era was ok, but none of them “made” it at Bolton. Megson pissed them all off.

Mooy wasn’t identified as a talent and fucked off.

Danny Ward was one of the better players, but never really did much at any club.

One of the best youth teams we have had and very few of them “made it”

Mooy was the exception  

20 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Mooy left us in 2010 as a 20-year-old after rejecting a contract offer. We beat Spurs 8-4 in 2013.

Yeah my mistake, it was two different teams that reached the quarter finals  one in 2009 the other in 2013. 

We won a 5th Round tie at Forest in 2009, i was mixing that up with the quarter final defeat at Forest.Think it was the same night Meggo's team let a 2 goal lead slip at Blackburn