Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Big Squad - Best 11?

desperado

• Site Supporter

In terms of the players we could realistically use for the rest of the season, there’s 28! I don’t think we’ll see 6 of those at all now. Darcy, Hickman, Mascol, White, Comley and Crellin. It’s going to be really tricky keeping the squad happy and enthused. I think IE has a really tough job on his hands. You could make a case for/against any of the other 22, well maybe not Elbouzedi yet 😂. All hypothetical and guesswork at the moment, but depending on which side of the fence you sit, an exciting or daunting prospect having so many resources at your disposal...

1st X1?

Jensen

Brockbank 

Santos

Baptiste

John

Lee

Sarcevic

Fonz

Madison

Arthur

Doyle 

2nd X1?

Gilks

Jones

Greenidge

Delaney

Jackson

Tutte

Thomason

Williams

Afolayan

Isgrove

Miller

• Members

That’s one attacking first Xi desperado 😁

Plenty of games coming up, everyone should get their shot, I’m reluctant to write anyone off but I also have an air of caution that the players we have brought in will need time to bed in. 
Id be surprised to see them all thrown in so quickly and if that isn’t the case we have some great depth now, a few players who we have one the bench with different dynamics, to change games depending on the opposition.

It was always a big job and FV knew that and have backed their man to the hill, no panic, no knee jerk reactions.

1 hour ago, desperado said:

In terms of the players we could realistically use for the rest of the season, there’s 28! I don’t think we’ll see 6 of those at all now. Darcy, Hickman, Mascol, White, Comley and Crellin. It’s going to be really tricky keeping the squad happy and enthused. I think IE has a really tough job on his hands. You could make a case for/against any of the other 22, well maybe not Elbouzedi yet 😂. All hypothetical and guesswork at the moment, but depending on which side of the fence you sit, an exciting or daunting prospect having so many resources at your disposal...

1st X1?

Jensen

Brockbank 

Santos

Baptiste

John

Lee

Sarcevic

Fonz

Madison

Arthur

Doyle 

2nd X1?

Gilks

Jones

Greenidge

Delaney

Jackson

Tutte

Thomason

Williams

Afolayan

Isgrove

Miller

Edited by masi 51

Our best XI after that window for me is now. 

Gilks

Jones, Santos, Delaney, John

Lee, Tutte

Maddison, Sarcevic, Delfouneso

Doyle

The exciting thing is imagining that team with Politic in it as well. I also imagine this defender we have on trial will walk straight into the side alongside Santos. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

First eleven with only one proper midfielder. Who has a recent injury history.

He'll be broken within the hour.

I agree, my first go was trying to shoe-horn Sarcevic in, going off IEs recent attacking side, Sarcevic in for Thomason. But that depends on Sarcevics development/transition into a more defensive minded midfielder which I appreciate isn’t/hasn’t suited him so far, so on reflection unless he takes Fonz’s role as attacking midfielder he’d have to step aside for one of the more defensive minded midfielders. 

As Rudy alluded to everyone will probably get a bash and rotated around so impossible to predict a best 11 at the moment, but good fun on a Bolton forum thrashing about the possibilities and exciting to have options.

Gilks

Brocky

Santos

new player

Thomason  left back

Lee

Tutte

Madison

Sarcevic

Arther

Doyle

......................................................................................................................

Jensen

Jones

Delaney

Baptiste

Jackson

Darcy

williams

findley locket

john

fonz

miller

Evatt quoted in the MEN saying one of the new quartet of arrivals playing tonight, and the other 3 playing at some point at the weekend. 
I quote: 
Evatt confirmed that one of the quartet is poised to start against the Stags at the One Call Stadium this evening, while the other three are more likely to feature in some capacity this weekend against Salford City.

Now, that does sound a little different to the oft trotted out line of ‘ working hard in training to get selected’?

I don’t want to come across too cynical here. I suppose he needs to assess them, so not sure why that’s raised my eyebrow so?

Edited by Plums

3 hours ago, Anderson said:

Our best XI after that window for me is now. 

Gilks

Jones, Santos, Delaney, John

Lee, Tutte

Maddison, Sarcevic, Delfouneso

Doyle

The exciting thing is imagining that team with Politic in it as well. I also imagine this defender we have on trial will walk straight into the side alongside Santos. 

Delaney shouldn’t ever be in anyones best X1 shirley? He is absolute cack, a liability.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I wouldn't drop Baptiste if he's match fit. One of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Definitely. Last Saturday was the best pairing at centre half, performance-wise, of the season.

Both him and Santos were immense.

7 hours ago, Plums said:

Evatt quoted in the MEN saying one of the new quartet of arrivals playing tonight, and the other 3 playing at some point at the weekend. 
I quote: 
Evatt confirmed that one of the quartet is poised to start against the Stags at the One Call Stadium this evening, while the other three are more likely to feature in some capacity this weekend against Salford City.

Now, that does sound a little different to the oft trotted out line of ‘ working hard in training to get selected’?

I don’t want to come across too cynical here. I suppose he needs to assess them, so not sure why that’s raised my eyebrow so?

I think we've established the training thing is fairly irrelevant i f you're a new signing. 

Remember Makakula starting against Man U just after he'd signed for Megson? (complete fish out of water), I honestly think its part of some negotiations when signing players.  That would explain the Lincoln winger starting so quickly (as well as Jackson), certainly nothing to do with proving themselves in training ahead of the others.

I'd definitely start last Saturdays team against Salford if everybody is available, it looks we can have a very strong bench now with plenty of options available if things not going well.

Regarding Delaney, he was one of our most consistent players until a few games back, he may not get a look in now but I wouldn't write him off for a few bad performances in a team that were all out of form.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, emus wig said:

If Baptiste can play as well as he did last Saturday consistently he’s a shoe in but it’s a fuckin big if . 

It's  because he can't play consistently that he plays in the fourth tier. 

Sarcevic is the interesting one here. When back from injury, I'd expect him to perform more like last season's Sarce than this season's one if allowed to play further forward and not be the box to box type he's currently trying (and failing) to be.

2 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Gilks

Brockbank   Baptiste  Santos  Jackson

MJ Williams 

Lee      Sarce

Maddison   Doyle     Gnahoua

4-3-3

I’d go with that Aldo, although with Williams in I’d play Thomason instead of Sarcevic. I’m surprised so many leave him out when he’s been one of the most consistent and constructive performers in the team. Sarcevic certainly isn’t that and would be on the bench for me along with Fonz to bring on when needed.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Sarcevic is the interesting one here. When back from injury, I'd expect him to perform more like last season's Sarce than this season's one if allowed to play further forward and not be the box to box type he's currently trying (and failing) to be.

Evstt said in the ST's AGM that he felt playing Sarce deeper earlier in the season was a mistake so I expect he'll be played as the furthest forward of the midfield three from now on.