Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Most popular baby names 2022

Spider

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names/most-popular/top-baby-names

They were talking about this just the other day on the news. The names they talked about corresponded with those in the article above.

Aye. The article Spider posted is from July, and references the babycenter article "We reveal the top baby names of 2022 so far!"

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/b25052040/guess-whos-back-back-again-we-reveal-the-top-baby-names-of-2022-so-far

This is the most recent Independent article, which references the one you posted in which "Muhammad" finished in 35th place:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/baby-names-2022-most-popular-b2253379.html

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can't see all that-subscription bollocks in the way.

Going off what you're saying, was Muhammed the most popular in July then disappeared by the end if the year?

Bizarre!

There was no subscription bollocks for me? It was a donation thing, and I just clicked "I'll try later...". Maybe you get one free article a week or something.

But yeah, according to the 2 articles 'Muhammad' was top in July, but 35th by the end of the year.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Are they including all the different spellings of Muhammad? Or are Muhammed and Mohammed counted as different names?

Don't know, but it's not the most accurate dataset anyway. Also, I've just noticed that one source is babycenter.co.uk and the other is babycenter.com, although both Independent articles are UK based, and neither specifies what country they're talking about. Shoddy at best.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

What do you call a fella with a lawnmower and a piece of bacon on his head?

Talented. The bacon would be easy, but you need a lot of skill to balance a Lawnmower on your head.

49 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Good to see so many traditional type names.  Far too many kids around with stupid names like Jayden, Kayden, Brayden, etc.

... and that's coming from someone with the 1970s equivalent of those names :)

Its all fashion - the grandparent names have been on the rise since my middle child was born 13 years ago, it was like walking into a OAP's home going to nursery. Having said that my three have very traditional names but only one makes the top 100 of girl's names (at 100) I always thought it was good to give them names that wouldn't hamper them, embarrass them or be fashionable.

Having a shit name, I know the pain, so was pretty careful in the choices.