Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oh dear how sad. Everton

batton carrier

1 hour ago, Pablo said:

Not a chance they come back up straight away, more chance of a Sunderland situation.

Have they got many players on highly paid, long term contracts? Presumably no relegation clauses either.

Fwiw, with a decent manager,  I think they'd go straight back up

8 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Have they got many players on highly paid, long term contracts? Presumably no relegation clauses either.

Fwiw, with a decent manager,  I think they'd go straight back up

Yes...., 7 players on £100k a week plus!!!

14 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I don't think young(er) people see them as a big club anymore - you've got to be now over 40 to remember them being a regular contender in the league, surely?

This is true, but still nobody has gone down in that time that has done anything over the same period really.

2 minutes ago, Pablo said:

This is true, but still nobody has gone down in that time that has done anything over the same period really.

that's true. Altough given we've had West Ham and Newcastle in the Championship pretty recently I don't think it'd be a massive shock to loads if Everton do go down - not in the same way it would have 30 years ago.

15 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

that's true. Altough given we've had West Ham and Newcastle in the Championship pretty recently I don't think it'd be a massive shock to loads if Everton do go down - not in the same way it would have 30 years ago.

It's only 26 years since they should have gone

23 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Oh indeed, not a shock really.

But defo the most traditional so called biggest to go down.

West Ham have never played in the Champions league, and Newcastle have been in European football once in 10 years, while Everton twice.

Edited by Pablo

Well, he's gone.

Bookies are ignoring Dyche & Bielsa. Rooney, Nuno Espirito Santo & Duncan Ferguson being touted.

Ferguson. Jesus H. He'd make Roy Keane look like a mollifier.

Not much time for a great  deal of buying or selling by the as yet unnamed new guy.

fwiw I can see them getting out of this yet. So tight in the bottom third that any small positive sequence can catapult a team upwards.

9 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I'd have thought Leeds going down so soon after the Champions League semi final was a bigger shock

Well considering they have spent longer outside the top division than in it...it's not a shock they go down quite alot.

Edited by Pablo

13 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Well considering they have spent longer outside the top division than in it...it's not a shock they go down quite alot.

And Everton have been lucky not to go down quite a lot, so not anything close to the same fall as Champions League > Championship in the space of a couple of years

16 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

And Everton have been lucky not to go down quite a lot, so not anything close to the same fall as Champions League > Championship in the space of a couple of years

And Leeds have never ever been close.....

Its gone to the last game of the season 3 times for us, in the prem EVER.

Leeds have spent 50 years outside the top league  including some even in the 3rd division, Everton 4. Its not even close.

4ish Years passed after that CL semi till they went down too.

Edited by Pablo

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Pablo said:

Oh indeed, not a shock really.

But defo the most traditional so called biggest to go down.

West Ham have never played in the Champions league, and Newcastle have been in European football once in 10 years, while Everton twice.

Spurs dropped after the filth

And Chelsea.  but before the big money arrived