Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Run In

green genie

1 minute ago, Traf said:

Going to be tough without Santos and Toal. I’m not sure about Mbete.

That said, we’ve enough ahead of the central trio to win every game.

And we’ve a game in hand, I’m hoping we can put in a run of results same as the last time Santos was injured, however we need him back should we qualify for the play offs. 

Its any 2 from 5 with Portsmouth and Wycombe currently appearing to have only a slim chance of making it- but that could change were Portsmouth say to put a winning run together and beat both Wycombe and Derby in the run in. Which would very much suit us. 

With Peterborough still having to entertain Ipswich and Derby having to travel to Hillsborough there are points to be dropped.

All 5 teams face a couple of tricky away games in the next 10 days

6 wins and a draw and we qualify , 6 wins and 1 defeat and we almost certainly qualify and in all likelihood 5 wins out of 7  and 82 points should do it . 

FtIKdSlWYAASB73?format=jpg&name=small

On 08/04/2023 at 11:12, Benny The Ball said:

Its any 2 from 5 with Portsmouth and Wycombe currently appearing to have only a slim chance of making it- but that could change were Portsmouth say to put a winning run together and beat both Wycombe and Derby in the run in. Which would very much suit us. 

With Peterborough still having to entertain Ipswich and Derby having to travel to Hillsborough there are points to be dropped.

All 5 teams face a couple of tricky away games in the next 10 days

6 wins and a draw and we qualify , 6 wins and 1 defeat and we almost certainly qualify and in all likelihood 5 wins out of 7  and 82 points should do it . 

FtIKdSlWYAASB73?format=jpg&name=small

So rather than wanting Pompey to drop more points and lose interest, we could do with them winning most of their next 4 so that they retain an interest in taking points off Derby in the penultimate game. 

And hopefully Barnsley still have something to play for on the last day, or they'll be resting players v Posh in before the play offs and same with Sheff Wed, need them to want to take points off Derby on last day.

Funny old game.

If someone offered you 4 points from Exeter & Cambridge on Friday morning you'd have snapped their hands off. But having won on Friday, the poor performance first half yesterday, then the kick in the teeth of conceding last minute, it was a bit of a shitter.

However, still in the top 6 after another round of games and we still have that game in hand. Strongest possible XI back out starting on Saturday, and if we can still be in the top 6 after the next 2, we'd be in a great position going into that week of 3 home games.

• Site Supporter

Just been messing about on them predictor results/tables and also looking at a couple of sites who provide predictions based on %’s and points per game and other statistical bumf.

In a nutshell 78 could do it, 80 stands a very good chance, 82 seems to be the holy grail mark that makes you an extreme favourite to make the play-offs.

Before I started looking I had 80 points in mind, 12 more points - I think this will be good enough

Oxford - D

Burton - D

Shrewsbury - W

Accrington - W

Fleetwood - W

Bristol R - D

Clearly to temper the nerves and take the pressure off those home games, I’d much prefer to get a win(s) in next 2 away games, but it won’t be slitting the wrist stakes if we don’t. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/league-one/ 
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/league-table/predicted

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Just been messing about on them predictor results/tables and also looking at a couple of sites who provide predictions based on %’s and points per game and other statistical bumf.

In a nutshell 78 could do it, 80 stands a very good chance, 82 seems to be the holy grail mark that makes you an extreme favourite to make the play-offs.

Before I started looking I had 80 points in mind, 12 more points - I think this will be good enough

Oxford - D

Burton - D

Shrewsbury - W

Accrington - W

Fleetwood - W

Bristol R - D

Clearly to temper the nerves and take the pressure off those home games, I’d much prefer to get a win(s) in next 2 away games, but it won’t be slitting the wrist stakes if we don’t. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/league-one/ 
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/league-table/predicted

Interesting.

So which games are Derby and Posh going to drop points in given that Derby could get to 83 and Posh could get to 85?

I assume the data is historical and doesn't take into account the end of season chaos?

Edited by Wanderlust

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Interesting.

So which games are Derby and Posh going to drop points in given that Derby could get to 83 and Posh could get to 85?

Derby - draw away at Bristol and Exeter, win their home games. Loose to Sheff Wed. That puts them on 76

Posh Beat Accy and Bristol. Draw to Cambridge, Port Vale and Ipswich - puts them on 79.

Listen it’s all guesswork and none of those results could happen! 

But I’d rather be in our position than there’s at the moment. And I prefer our run in.

13 minutes ago, desperado said:

Derby - draw away at Bristol and Exeter, win their home games. Loose to Sheff Wed. That puts them on 76

Posh Beat Accy and Bristol. Draw to Cambridge, Port Vale and Ipswich - puts them on 79.

Listen it’s all guesswork and none of those results could happen! 

But I’d rather be in our position than there’s at the moment. And I prefer our run in.

I try not to speculate, especially at the end of the season when mad shit happens. The only thing we can control are our own performances and Wembley apart they ain't been good recently - 6 points from the last 15 available.

On that form we'll end up on 75 or 76 which won't be good enough. We simply have to play better.

9 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

The only thing we can control are our own performances and Wembley apart they ain't been good recently - 6 points from the last 15 available.

Or, if your glass is half full. Drew away to the now league leaders, blew the then league leaders off the field in a stunning performance, won away at a side in good form and conceded a late equaliser in a game we could very well have won. Unbeaten in 4 including the 2 best sides in the league.

1 minute ago, perth_white said:

Or, if your glass is half full. Drew away to the now league leaders, blew the then league leaders off the field in a stunning performance, won away at a side in good form and conceded a late equaliser in a game we could very well have won. Unbeaten in 4 including the 2 best sides in the league.

My glass is six fifteeenths full Perth.

If league position has anything to do with it at the end of the season we would have beaten Exeter and Cambridge wouldn't we?