Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Memories of The Sherpa Van Final at Wembley in 1989

Ruba Mustafa

First game I can remember, 7th birthday that day and sat in the back of a tranny van with a packet of hobnobs to keep me occupied. Must’ve spent 90% of the game looking around the old Wembley at the sheer size of it. The old terrace bit at the tunnel end swaying absolutely full of our lot, norpigs flying through the air. Mesmerised 

Loved it as a 13 yr old.  I'd seen my team win at Wembley which I never thought I'd see.

Went to the parade around town too and also the replay of it shown in the exec lounge at Burnden.

Hopefully yoof can enjoy this one as I did then and then it's the start of an upward curve for the next 20+ years like it was back then too.

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

norpigs flying through the air

Yes was a great sight!

As a 16 year old I have great memories from this. The most significant being having 3 generations of us down there (me/dad/pops).

My dads 83 I’m hoping we can do the same if he’s well enough and mobile enough. 

Just now, DazBob said:

I have it on good authority that Dean Crombie was happy to see his goal last night.  Means he now has a digital copy of it rather than just VHS :)

If only we knew someone to talk us through it every time we see them, though.

• Site Supporter

My first trip to the twin towers, I was on a school trip in 86. 13 year old me took it all in. Picnic we took down, build up of fans etc. Gutted when we went 1 down but what a day, will never forget it.

So glad todays Kids will get a similar trip - Lancs v Devon

Lived in Culcheth & went on a mini-bus with a gang from Leigh. A great time but the Leighthers were largely pissed when I got on at around 9am. It's a marathon lads not a sprint.

Took a M-way break at Warwick and 'fixed' one of my lenses which was irritating me & lost the fckg thing. I learnt the lesson "always take spares" after that. So spent the rest of the day ... including match ... with only one good eye.

Took a tube to Queensbury, joined a ruck of Bolton fans and had a loud, dancy, singy time. Ate shite fish & chips & back to the ground.

Entertainment game, won, a couple of vg goals. Half-empty Wembley and I chose to celebrate as if we'd never get there again. This was our big day, make the most of it.

Trundles up the Motorway back, about 2 miles after Sandbach Services the fckg minibus broke down. Too far from anywhere we sat by the armcor hoping nothing hit the van. We'll, those who were functioning ... half the bus were too pissed to know what was happening.

A replacement arrived & we got off the bus after a long day around 1am. I had a raging migraine & chucked up the moment I got off. I never even started my Telegraph cryptic crossword.

Tremendous day.

5 hours ago, Whitestar said:

remember it was a nice warm day and Arsenal fans were off to a league champions do 

Gosh, yes. Forgot that. We got on the Queensbury tube platform & saw 4 or 5 Arsenal shifted fans there who damn near shat themselves as 25+ Bolton fans arrived. We were in a good mood, who cared about Gooners ? They were very relieved not to be placed on the live rail.

Told it before but it’s worth a repeat. Youngest was born a few days earlier and was due to come home on the Saturday. Arrived to pick both Mum and baby up and the ward sister said they had to stay in another day. I said “but I’m supposed to be going to Wembley tomorrow” 

She looked at me with pity and said “well maybe two days then”😊

Went down with my sister and her boyfriend and had a bbq on the grass verge next to the car park. 

A group of us went to Southend on the Saturday, watched England beat Scotland in a pub down there then out on the town.  Monster hangover the following day and met up with a group of Horwich casuals who were all there incognito. Police were making them sign bail forms every Saturday to stop them going to the games. Obviously nobody told them this was being played on a Sunday. 

Good game, brilliant seeing a Wanderers captain go up the steps to collect a trophy however, result aside,86 was a better occasion imo