Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge (H) Easter Monday

matty2094

Yeah, a few months ago Dion stopped for a picture with my nephew, he seemed more than happy to have the picture but couldn't get more than 2 words out of him. 

I'm glad he did, he's the lads favourite player and woulda been gutted if he blanked him. From the pictures my mate sent of his lad yesterday though, it looked like the players were swamped on the way in. 

36 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Felt gutted for my lad though as hed got himself all excited to meet his hero Dion Charles and he couldn't have been anymore dismissive. Like he couldn't be arse talking to anyone. Maybe caught him on a bad day and he was a bit distracted but he couldn't get away quick enough.

Probably pissed off at being dropped.

No excuse, of course, but a possible reason.

6 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Looked super fit to me - he outran just about everyone else on the park and showed the kind of commitment Dempsey does. I don't see them as mutually exclusive players either - have both those ratting engines on the pitch at the same time and it would be like having an extra man - and there will be game situations coming up when it's what we'll need. He gives the team what Muamba did - but is a better passer when he doesn't rush it IMO.

My concern is that there are chickens being counted. Looking at the remaining games and fixtures folk seem to be comparing past results with the anticipated results in the end of season dogfight and that doesn't necessarily work.

Simple facts are Derby can get to 83 and Posh to 85 so 84 is our target at this point in time. That's 16 points from 6 games i.e. 5 wins and a draw. Yes it will be great if the others drop points but until they do and until we've qualified we have to go at full throttle and play at our absolute best.

That means starting every game with our best eleven and if that gives us a comfortable lead in games, then - and only then - should they be subbed and rested.

Every other team in the top 5 and below will more than likely drop points in the run in, looking at the teams we have to play don’t think I’d swap any body else’s for ours. That’s all we can ask for 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Traf said:

Probably pissed off at being dropped.

No excuse, of course, but a possible reason.

Could also be a lack of public relations type input at either this or previous clubs. Folk who play football in a very public arena aren’t necessarily outgoing or gregarious.

18 hours ago, Mutley said:

This seasons scapeboat is mbete. Yes he’s not great. Can he defend no? Can he pass the ball? No but he’s doing his best given his abilities. Worryingly he wasn’t the worst player today on the field for us. 

permission to not panic. 
keep the confidence and that. 
we will be fine enjoy the rough with the smooth and all that comes with it. 

No panicking here, just the usual post match discussion, win lose or draw.

You criticised him more than a lot of other posts with a very damning "he can't defend, he can't pass" and then said he's a scapegoat.  Its difficult to have a conversation about strengths/weaknesses if only strengths are mentioned.  There are no scapegoats, just opinions and if its valid to praise the signings of Toal and Bradley, its surely OK to comment on the choice of Mbete and Shoretire also. 

8 hours ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

Performance far from good enough but can also argue that result is all that matters this stage of the season.

Should have had the game done and finished in the last 10 minutes. 

Dust ourselves off and go again Saturday - if we can still be in the playoff places after the next 2, we'll be in good nick for the last 4 games.

Is there a time of the season when the result isn't all that really matters.  1st game of season in August v Fleetwood, we play as bad as we did on Saturday and win 1-0, we'll all be buzzing and singing EIEIEIO.....  And the week after we dominate Pompey away but lose 1-0 to a penalty and its all doom and gloom.  We only ever really care about the results.

8 hours ago, Traf said:

CJ & VA must have made a dozen runs in the first half for balls that ended up not being played forward to them. They'd evaded their man and created the space to run onto the ball that never came. The keeper, back 5 and midfield 3 were all guilty of holding on to possession too long, it was like walking football at times.

That said, I didn't think Sheehan played badly, he just didn't play well. Shoretire was poor again and Thomason looked very rusty. yes, he won the ball back a few times, but mainly after he'd given it away.

Defensively too ponderous, Bradley played OK, but rarely got past his man and drifted infield too often, narrowing the pitch which is a mistake against 2 banks of 5. Johnston probably our best on the day, but he too was guilty of slowing it all down.

Perfect summary, that's the game I saw.  If so many players are slowing it down and/or not looking for a forward pass enough it can only be the manager's tactic, otherwise they'd be subbed earlier surely.  

6 hours ago, desperado said:

Been thinking about this.

In order of preference for Oxford;

1/ Santos (article in BEN this morning says he may be risked/brought back sooner than thought) comes back, but would hate him to be rushed and put out for rest of season.

2/ We bring someone else in to the back 3. But who is this? Options are bringing senior back or playing MJ in middle putting Johnston to LCB? Neither ideal, but are there any other options?

3/ Stick with Mbete 

Have we/IE totally ruled out a back 4?  I think it would mean someone other than a natural winger on left midfield but may be lesser of 2 evils.  (I know it won't happen, but just throwing it into the mix).

5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Have we/IE totally ruled out a back 4?  I think it would mean someone other than a natural winger on left midfield but may be lesser of 2 evils.  (I know it won't happen, but just throwing it into the mix).

Playing out from the back in a back 4 is much harder as you end up with your centre halfs spreading and a massive gap in the middle of defence. I don't see Evatt wanting to deviate from a back 3. 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I’d probably go back to a previous post of yours. I’m pretty confident, that for this season, that ship has definitely sailed.

But like you say, due to our limited options, it’s worth throwing into the mix for a discussion. I would think the likes of R.Williams and Isgrove would then be considered for LM/RM. But it would leave our spine in the middle very weak IMO.

Being so unfamiliar to the way we play/set-up I imagine we would look very disjointed. So for that reason I’m very happy to dismiss the 4-4-2 option. 

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Could also be a lack of public relations type input at either this or previous clubs. Folk who play football in a very public arena aren’t necessarily outgoing or gregarious.

In some ways I feel a bit sorry for players like Charles and Kieran Lee who aren't necessarily the type to court attention, and may not be the most chatty.  If I had a crowd of people waiting for me outside the office every morning expecting a few selfies and a cheery chat, there may be some days I'd be up for it and others I'd be looking to find an alternative way in!  Not everyone is a Kachunga/Nolan/Coyle/McAteer type.

2 hours ago, desperado said:

I’d probably go back to a previous post of yours. I’m pretty confident, that for this season, that ship has definitely sailed.

But like you say, due to our limited options, it’s worth throwing into the mix for a discussion. I would think the likes of R.Williams and Isgrove would then be considered for LM/RM. But it would leave our spine in the middle very weak IMO.

Being so unfamiliar to the way we play/set-up I imagine we would look very disjointed. So for that reason I’m very happy to dismiss the 4-4-2 option. 

I agree it would take some getting used to, but if for arguments sake Mbete gets injured or suspended, there may be little alternative.  It would mean another midfielder which may not be a bad thing in some games.

I'd have no problem with a midfield of Bradley plus 2 of Tomo/Sheehan/Dempsey/Morley/Lee/MJW and one of Lee, Kachunga or judging by yesterday, Ndululululu on the left.  R Williams as a last resort.  I personally would love to give the opposition something to think about when planning how to set up against us. 

12 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Bit strong that.

Jerome has no legs any more, but still a touch of class.

Big Vic needs service like any other striker.

First half yesterday was the lack of prompt passing from the back and Sheehan whose job it was to link the lines.

Charles would have struggled with that, and become frustrated.

We were too rigid and not prepared to play a percentage ball over the top occasionally to make them defend facing their own goal, nor get it wide and supply an early cross for the too big lads to attack.

That changed quickly once Lee and Morely replaced the two midfielders, and picked the pace up.

Well said sir, 100% as I saw it. We spent about 35 of the first 45 mins playing in our own half.

No stress or pressure on their back line, nothing apart from the one effort from DJ for crowd to get engaged with. They caused us far more problems by simply shifting it forward quickly and getting it into dangerous areas with minimum fuss. 

If Haaland was playing for us in that half he wouldn't have scored. 

13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Is there a time of the season when the result isn't all that really matters.  1st game of season in August v Fleetwood, we play as bad as we did on Saturday and win 1-0, we'll all be buzzing and singing EIEIEIO.....  And the week after we dominate Pompey away but lose 1-0 to a penalty and its all doom and gloom.  We only ever really care about the results.

That was my point.

Had we held on for the win on Monday the amount of doom and gloom would have been nothing like it has been. Suppose social media has a massive part to play in it.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Having seen Dion in interview, he doesnt seem the mist gifted wordsmith.

Not arsed though, so long as he puts the ball in the net.

Aye 

Am sure he's a nice lad and he does the job he's paid to do 

But I struggle to think of a more simple looking lad we've had play for us

3 hours ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

That was my point.

Had we held on for the win on Monday the amount of doom and gloom would have been nothing like it has been. Suppose social media has a massive part to play in it.

Yes fair point, we're all guilty of basing our thoughts on whether its 1-0 or 1-1 for eg.  But, without being holier than thou, I do look at performances especially in home games, in terms of wanting to enjoy a game and to look forward to seeing us perform.  The 0-0s  v Plymouth and Derby were good attack-minded games played at a decent pace that gave us something to be enthused by.  The last 3 home games have been fairly dire and left a bad taste win lose or draw, and whatever our league position. 

On 10/04/2023 at 21:37, Cheese said:

"Bring your Wembley flags, and make sure you're in your seats for 2:45!". Was expecting them to at least bring the trophy out onto the pitch or something, but fuck all happened. Sack the board, and knock the stadium down.

They did do 

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, embankment said:

They did do 

Couldn't see anything from where I was, apart from the players backs. I'm not really bothered. Saw it at Wembley, and I'll have a gander in the club shop tomorrow.

On 11/04/2023 at 13:06, Eddie said:

You’re surely not comparing Thomason to Muamba? And actually potentially saying he’s better?

He seems like a nice lad, and maybe that’s why he appears to be almost devoid of any criticism (or because he’s got a rags to riches type career which is quite romantic) but he’s just not good enough.

He’s been labelled as a good passer - he’s not. He can spray a decent diagonal every so often, but his short passing is poor, so often he’ll either misplace completely or even just lay it off with no pace, or 3 yards the wrong side of a player - it kills our game. Add to that that he doesn’t score, he doesn’t assist and he’s not particularly good defensively (he’s bulked up but he still isn’t particularly mobile and so ends up chasing shadows a lot of the time) and I really don’t think he brings much to the team - he’s got an engine on him, I’ll give him that.

Also, “young George” is often banded about - he’s 22, Morley is less than a year older than him. 

I don’t have anything against the guy, and I think he could probably make a decent career at the lower end of this league or in league 2 - I just don’t understand why people have such high opinions of him (someone further up had him as possibly being better than Johnston yesterday!!?), maybe I’m missing something?

They are very similar - both decent destroyers and tacklers with a big engine and not much else. Muamba worked when he won the ball and gave it to one of the many talented players around him to do the actual passing. He couldn't pass any distance or shoot for toffee - but he was excellent at pressing and winning the ball in midfield.

George has the potential to do the same job and if he works on his passing and shooting - and he's got a decent left peg in there somewhere - he could be really good IMO.

Neither was a goalscorer BTW - Muamba got 5 goals in over 200 games, George has 2 in 50 (4 in 65 if you count Bamber Bridge loan :) )

4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

They are very similar - both decent destroyers and tacklers with a big engine and not much else. Muamba worked when he won the ball and gave it to one of the many talented players around him to do the actual passing. He couldn't pass any distance or shoot for toffee - but he was excellent at pressing and winning the ball in midfield.

George has the potential to do the same job and if he works on his passing and shooting - and he's got a decent left peg in there somewhere - he could be really good IMO.

Neither was a goalscorer BTW - Muamba got 5 goals in over 200 games, George has 2 in 50 (4 in 65 if you count Bamber Bridge loan :) )

We’ll agree to disagree. Muamba played the majority of his career in the premier league, Thomason won’t play higher than he is now IMO. I kind of get it if it’s taken in relative terms, i.e. he’s a league 1 version of Muamba - although even that I think is hugely overrating Thomason considering how important Muamba was for us.

I’ll stop now because I don’t want it to sound like I’ve really got it in for him, I’d love him to press on and become a mainstay of the team, I just don’t think he’s anywhere near close to being good enough for us at the moment (and he’s not a youngster - Muamba had played 33 games for England u21s and c.100 Prem games for us by now) but find it strange that I seem to have a different opinion to most on him.

16 hours ago, Cheese said:

Couldn't see anything from where I was, apart from the players backs. I'm not really bothered. Saw it at Wembley, and I'll have a gander in the club shop tomorrow.

Going for your straighteners?